It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
(male)

surreyboy HB User
New

Hi,

I'm new to this board, and wanted to join because I feel I need to converse with people about my problems and be part of such a community. I feel it impossible to open up to my friends or family about my depression because I feel I will be a disappointment to them. I'm under a doctor and psychiatrist for depression problems, which are mainly caused by a combination of family break up, plus the end of my long term relationship and the stress caused by my job (primary teacher).

I hope to become part of this community.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User
Re: New

repeat post, it does that sometimes, ignore.

Last edited by flinch; 09-21-2005 at 10:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

hi surryboy, i take it your name means your from the good old uk too! this is a really good place to come and talk and make friends - when I came here I had never talked to anyone about depression either, I didn't have anyone to talk too for a start. How long have you been depressed? I too work with children, I'm studying to get dance teaching qualifications and I have a part time job helping with 3-7 year olds. Even the little that I do it is difficult, and you can't for any reason let it come out in class. I love it though.
Come back and post, tell us more about you, or find the New Here thread started by Vegancat, a lot of us hang out there.
xxxx

Old 09-21-2005, 11:51 AM   #4
Inactive

s1980 HB User

Hi there,
welcome to the boards, anytime you feel you need to get some of your thoughts, feelings, emotions or problems out in the open then here is a really good place to do it - the people here are really great, they will offer whatever advice or words of comfort that they can.
It is really difficult to know whether to even attempt to explain what you are going thru to others, especially loved ones, depression is a very difficult condition to describe, people seem to think that it is something that can be controlled, that those affected should be able to simply 'sort themselves out' or 'snap out of it' - if only it was that simple!!!!
It is good that you are trying to work things out with a doctor and psychiatrist, I hope that thru their help you can find a little relief.
Post whenever you need to, just getting it all down on the page is often very helpful and also another point of view is invaluable, especially from others who are going thru many of the same thoughts, feelings and battles with depression.

all the best

Old 09-22-2005, 03:35 AM   #5
(male)

surreyboy HB User

Thanks for those replies. Its really nice to know that people understand, and don't look at you as some sort of freak and a miracle cure is expected to make one snap out of it straight away!

I'm 26 years old and at present I find life very hard. It's impossible for me to go out and be around people. I am from England, and like many English I love football (or soccer), but right now the prospect of going to watch a game terrifies me, and that used to be something I loved doing. It feels very safe to be at home because no-one can hurt or upset me there. I don't know if I'm making any sense here, but life just seems to be a big panic attack and I feel as if I'm being totally "controlled" like a robot by medication.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

Well if depression makes you a freak then there's a lot of us freaks arround. I've not got treatment for depression but I do understand about the panic and people expecting miracles of the "happiness is a choice" variety. Which team do you support? Have you got family at home?
xxx

Old 09-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
(male)

surreyboy HB User

Yeh, I have family, I still live at home with one of my parents after the family split 4 years ago. There's a lot of pressure on me, it feels (am I imagining it) to get better very quickly. The team I support *ahem* Wycombe.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

heh heh heh, but then I can't talk, in primary school I got my coaching from S****horpe so I have to keep an eye on them. There's often pressure to get better quickly from family, simply because they don't like to think of you hurting, also some people don't realise how much of an actual illness depression is and think it can be cured very simply.
xx

Old 09-24-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
(female)

HeidiUK HB User

Hi guys, I'm also new to this site, I hope it will be a good place to talk and know that there are others in the same situation. I'm 24 and think I have always been prone to depression but the last year it has been getting worse, events like family breakdown and the ending of relationships have certainly been triggers for me, and like you I also have a very stressful job (I am a trainee social worker). I work with children too, and sometimes don't know why or how I am doing that job with depression, but at work at least I seem to manage ok, although not the last few days. I have managed to be open with some of my friends and family about it though, do you really feel they would be disappointed in you? I suspect they would be upset to know how much you're hurting but they would not think any the less of you for it. You have no reason to feel ashamed (well I hope not anyway because otherwise I will have to as well! )

Old 09-25-2005, 05:07 AM   #10
(male)

surreyboy HB User

Hi Heidi. The thing with some of my friends is that one of them has actually sounded disappointed and very shapr with me when I initially told them that I wasn't feeling too good. At the moment it's a bit hard. I get panic attacks at the prospect of going out, and waking up (after a sleeping tablet induced sleep), feeling very nausious, which lasts until mid afternoon. It's just kinda hard at the moment.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:37 PM   #11
(female)

HeidiUK HB User

Hi Surreyboy. One thing you can say about depression is that you find out who your friends are. Sometimes it is difficult if the symptoms of your depression make you push them away, but mostly if they are your true friends they will accept and support you when you are going though a bad time. I had the same thing from a couple of old uni 'friends'- their comments really made me doubt myself but luckily all my close friends support and accept me. I would say spend time with people who are supportive if you can and don't bother much with ones who are not- most will not react the way that person has. It sounds from this and your other post (about Citalopram, thanks) like you are having a hard time at the moment- I hope the med helps to make things a little easier, I will keep you updated as to how I get on with mine! I hope it helps with the anxiety too- hang in there

Old 09-26-2005, 02:55 AM   #12
(male)

surreyboy HB User

Thanks Heidi. I really hope things improve for you too. Keep in touch.

Closed Thread