It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User
What can help with the bad thoughts?

I feel fine for a while and then the bad thoughts come back, what is making this happen. I then get scared. Am I in a depression. I don't feel like this all the the time. I just can't get over those kinds of thoughts coming over me. I still want to do things. I still want to do things. And I love to go out and do things with people. But these bad thoughts just creep in. I don't know what makes it happen. Please any info on these kinds of things happening. Thanks guys.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User
Re: What can help with the bad thoughts?

What do you mean by "bad thoughts"? Do you mean "I'm no good, why do I bother" or do you mean "Wow it would be fun to kill someone right now"?

"I'm no good" kinda stuff is depression-type thinking. "Kill someone" is... I dunno exactly, but definitely if that's what you're thinking, see a doctor.

Depression doesn't have to be constant, mine definitely comes and goes. Sometimes I'll be fine, then something might happen and I'll be in a deep funk for a day or two.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildDepJeff
What do you mean by "bad thoughts"? Do you mean "I'm no good, why do I bother" or do you mean "Wow it would be fun to kill someone right now"?

"I'm no good" kinda stuff is depression-type thinking. "Kill someone" is... I dunno exactly, but definitely if that's what you're thinking, see a doctor.

Depression doesn't have to be constant, mine definitely comes and goes. Sometimes I'll be fine, then something might happen and I'll be in a deep funk for a day or two.
no it is thoughts of bad about myself, then i get scared about it. i just dont want this feeling. some days i am completly fine. i am seeing doctor. thinks it is mild depression, anxiety. But bad thoughts about myself and thinking about death have never happened to me before. I just get scared when this happens.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

Well, try to keep in mind that the bad thoughts about yourself are false. They're a response to something going on, either chemical in your brain, or a result of some bad event that happened to you.

Have you talked to the doctor about these thoughts, in particular thinking about death?

Old 09-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User

Quote:
Well, try to keep in mind that the bad thoughts about yourself are false. They're a response to something going on, either chemical in your brain, or a result of some bad event that happened to you.

Have you talked to the doctor about these thoughts, in particular thinking about death?
Yes, it just scares me that I get these feelings. I usually get over it, but I still can't seem to shake it from happening again or I can't quit worrying about it. Sometimes I go a couple of days without it happening. Then I will get a day where it creeps in on me. I just get upset after these thoughts and feeling come over me. I tried lexapro and that is when I first had this happen. Then he swithced it to zoloft and it happened like 5 times during an 11 day period. I haven't used anything by doctors orders in about 12 days now. I haven't had this happen as severely, but it still keeps creeping in. It makes me feel like I am not in control when it happens, and that is what gets me worked up. My family is all around me, I have a wonderful wife and daughter, we have a good church life, and I can't understand why these thoughts and feeelings would come over me. It just makes me feel worse because I am experinceing these episodes. I am trying to be strong, but when it hits it takes me down a notch, then I really get scared about it. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

Well, if you can, let your family know when you're having these kinds of thoughts (I.E. "Honey I'm starting to feel bad again") so they can support you. I'm kinda the same way, if you rate my life by any objective scale it looks great (wife, money, house, job, etc)... but that doesn't stop me from feeling bad. Hopefully someone else will have some good suggestions too, but I say make sure you're not alone at those times because it's easy to spiral downward. If you have someone there trying to cheer you up it can help. It may also help to say the thoughts out loud to your wife... then she can point out how wrong they are and that you really are a good person.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User

Quote:
Well, if you can, let your family know when you're having these kinds of thoughts (I.E. "Honey I'm starting to feel bad again") so they can support you. I'm kinda the same way, if you rate my life by any objective scale it looks great (wife, money, house, job, etc)... but that doesn't stop me from feeling bad. Hopefully someone else will have some good suggestions too, but I say make sure you're not alone at those times because it's easy to spiral downward. If you have someone there trying to cheer you up it can help. It may also help to say the thoughts out loud to your wife... then she can point out how wrong they are and that you really are a good person.
Thanks man. See, right now it has lifted and I feel a lot better. I kinda feel relaxed. That is why my doctor thinks it is anxiety related. I just get down and feel like you said spiraling and then I feel like crying because i felt that way. That is great advise. So does your epidoes come and go? I felt like crying for help an hour or 2 ago, and now I feel relived. It has passed on, and I feel like I can deal again. Is what I am experiencing a mild depression or anxiety. The reason I keep asking is because I don't feel like those episodes all the time. I actually start feeling better and more like myself after it passes. The psychologist calls it lifting. It just really gets me down and worried when it sets in. It makes me feel like someone help. That is why the doc thinks it is related to panic and anxiety with a mild depression. My regular doctor thought I was bipolar since I was having good days, and that these epidodes would lift. But I don't have any episodes of deep depression for days and I dont get mean or physical. these epidodes just come on and then i really worry. It is not a deep depression or an all day thing. I guess it is the anxiety related episodes. Is that the way it hits you?

Old 09-21-2005, 10:24 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

Well, I'm not a Dr., but my impression is that anxiety is more of a scared/worried kind of feeling, and depression is more of a "I suck, life sucks, everything sucks" kind of feeling.

I'm definitely more in the depressed category... when it really hits me, I stop wanting to do anything, I feel like nothing is going to work out, I feel like I ought to be doing something but I don't know what, I've made so many bad choices, why did I bother to try (whatever) I should have known it would never work. Why did I say (whatever) to (whoever), that was stupid, now they think I'm an idiot...

Lots of stuff like that. And usually it starts slow and spirals down, like if I start feeling bad and don't have something to distract me I'll feel worse and worse and sometimes I've wound up laying in bed for like an hour or two doing nothing, just thinking depressed thoughts. Usually my wife makes me get up and do something though, which helps keep me from sinking too far down but doesn't usually help me feel much better... it just goes away eventually.

Usually it'll last anywhere from a several hours to a few days. The most recent episode only lasted like a half a day, but it was after I'd been on lexapro for about a week and a half, so I think the lexapro might have helped.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User

Quote:
Well, I'm not a Dr., but my impression is that anxiety is more of a scared/worried kind of feeling, and depression is more of a "I suck, life sucks, everything sucks" kind of feeling.

I'm definitely more in the depressed category... when it really hits me, I stop wanting to do anything, I feel like nothing is going to work out, I feel like I ought to be doing something but I don't know what, I've made so many bad choices, why did I bother to try (whatever) I should have known it would never work. Why did I say (whatever) to (whoever), that was stupid, now they think I'm an idiot...

Lots of stuff like that. And usually it starts slow and spirals down, like if I start feeling bad and don't have something to distract me I'll feel worse and worse and sometimes I've wound up laying in bed for like an hour or two doing nothing, just thinking depressed thoughts. Usually my wife makes me get up and do something though, which helps keep me from sinking too far down but doesn't usually help me feel much better... it just goes away eventually.

Usually it'll last anywhere from a several hours to a few days. The most recent episode only lasted like a half a day, but it was after I'd been on lexapro for about a week and a half, so I think the lexapro might have helped.
This hits like a wave and really gets me down and then thinking the bad thoughts and would I do something to myself. Then I kind of get away from it or it lifts. I just wonder why I ever would feel like that. I guess if I think to hard it will be worse. It makes me not want to do anything but I keep getting up and doing things. Maybe that is why my doc. thinks mild depression. But when those thoughts come on they do it like a wave over me. I guess that is what my wife means by go do something. Don't let it win. Don't let it make you feel like getting upset. I keep trying not to worry, but I feel like I am clueless to why it would happen in the first place. It really just sets in and scares me, more than anything. I guess I need to learn some good coping skills. I don't think ant-depressants will help really. Because i felt more of my rocker when I was trying the lexapro and the Zoloft. Because I don't feel like this all the time. I mean it is their and I can tell it is their but it isn't as intense as when those waves hit me. Keep writing man. You seem to know what I am talking about. Have you had any sleeping problems? Thanks

Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

Well, I wouldn't worry about the "why" so much. It sounds like you're almost as upset because you don't know WHY it happens, as you are upset by the thoughts/feelings themselves.

The "why" could be lots of things. Could be simply chemical, in that case you'll need medication. Could be some traumatic event in your past, in that case you'll need therapy.

The fact is, right now, it is happening and you have to deal with it. So try to worry just about one thing, which is how to cope, and you can figure out the why later.

I wouldn't write off all anti-deps because you had bad luck with two. There are lots out there and it's a matter of finding one that works for you (if that's what your doctor thinks you need). A friend of mine tried one that made her totally spaced out and stuff, another that made her gain weight, and finally found a third that works fine no bad side effects.

When I was trying to find a migraine medicine that worked, I tried something like 8 different things before I found something that worked. Sometimes you just have to keep trying and one will eventually work.

I'd keep working with your doctor and keep an open mind and eventually you'll figure it out. You also might want to keep a journal of when you're feeling bad and when you feel better and any possibly relevant events, you might be able to notice a pattern after a while.

I do have sleeping problems, in particular I have a really hard time sleeping late. I almost always wake up between 6 and 7... not a problem if I go to bed at 10:00, but if I go to bed at midnight, I still wake up early. Also I have had off-and-on problems with waking up in the middle of the night for hours, or difficulty falling asleep. Usually it just feels like my mind is going and won't shut off... I keep thinking about stuff and can't get to sleep. Usually I'm thinking about stuff that bothers me, or is important, or worries me, or something.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
(female)

Maeby HB User

I have a lot of bad thoughts too... sort of along the same line of feeling bad about myself, like I am a bad person or my life is bad...

I know how to cope with these thoughts, even though I always don't do it, I do have coping mechanisms for that

However, I get thoughts of death sometimes and they are really scary and I am not sure how to cope. Its kind of what people who describe a panic attack fee, except I have heard that describes as a fear of losing control or feeling like they are going to die.
Mine is more that I start thinking about the fact that I am going to die someday and then I get panicked, my heart pounds and I get "Freaked out" (for lack of a better phrase) and sometimes I even have to get up and walk around...

Does anyone have any helpful hints how I might deal with this sort of panic?

Maeby

Old 09-21-2005, 04:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I have OCD, so I have an affinity for "bad thoughts"!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread