It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
(female)

britendarkk HB User
unwanted, intrusive thoughts

I have not seen this issue addressed on here so I don't know, maybe it's just me. But does anyone have recurring, unwanted thoughts?For example, every time I stop at railroad tracks to look for a train, I get a sudden image of a train smashing into my car. This is one of the milder thoughts that pop into my mind, as I am not comfortable sharing some of the more grotesque thoughts. These thoughts happen frequently and are disruptive and cause me anxiety. Does this happen to anyone else?

Old 09-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
(male)

Frank186 HB User
Re: unwanted, intrusive thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by britendarkk
I have not seen this issue addressed on here so I don't know, maybe it's just me. But does anyone have recurring, unwanted thoughts?For example, every time I stop at railroad tracks to look for a train, I get a sudden image of a train smashing into my car. This is one of the milder thoughts that pop into my mind, as I am not comfortable sharing some of the more grotesque thoughts. These thoughts happen frequently and are disruptive and cause me anxiety. Does this happen to anyone else?
Happens a lot to depressed people. Sometimes it blooms into full fledged OCD like it did to me. Luckily the thoughts, anxiety, and checking passed as my depression went away after a few years.

Frank

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
(female)

britendarkk HB User

Thank you for your response Frank. Can I ask how your depression went away?

Old 09-22-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

britendarkk HB User

So is there anyone else this happens to? It would help to know I am not the only one.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

Did you see boiler454's posts? Sounds like he has similar experiences.

I think a lot of people on here feel that way, the board is just being quiet today.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

naturality HB User

oh gosh, i get thoughts like that a lot! mine are really awful though. i dont know how to make them go away. sometimes i dont realize it till way after that i was panicking i'm sweaty my hearts going all fast... sometimes the thoughts are really really realistic

Old 09-22-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

It happens to me, both thoughts and dreams. I can't run a bowl of water now without visualising myself face down in it and yes a lot of the others are more horrific. After having one I'll be panicy all day, or just very sad. I don't know how to stop them tho, a lot of the time i have to try and talk myself out from where my mind goes.

Old 09-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #8
(female)

britendarkk HB User

Yeah, those are the kind of thoughts I'm talking about. Not just the negative dialogue in your head that goes with depression, but really terrible images that flash into your mind and don't let go. I"m sorry you guys have those thoughts too. They are horrible and very disruptive. I just told my doctor about them the other day, because I didn't know how to bring up the subject. Anyway, he perscribed Lexapro for the depression and hopefully these unwanted thoughts.

Old 09-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #9
(male)

SylAlien HB User

oh defintly dude i think we all get that, like the most retarted thoughts in your head and your just liek *** leave me alone why do you gota think that , and you just keep on repeating it, it sucks - does cause some stress

Old 09-22-2005, 09:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User

Quote:
Hi Britendarkk
Yes, sweetie! I have horrible thoughts sometimes. I have been having suicidal thoughts almost daily for more than a year. I finally got some relief when my new Psychiatrist changed my meds from Wellbutrin and Effexor to Cymbalta. It's such a freeing feeling to actually not think of harming myself. It used to be something that my old therapist and I would refer to as one of my good days, "When I didn't have thoughts of harming myself." For me it was a change in my meds which everyone that was treating me at that time except for my therapist, told me it was normal for someone in my position. It may have been normal for them, but it sure as heck wasn't normal for me to be feeling them.

Best wishes,
Sam

Old 09-22-2005, 09:14 PM   #11
(male)

Frank186 HB User

Quote:
Thank you for your response Frank. Can I ask how your depression went away?
My symptoms went away as I changed my lifestyle around. I had pretty bad depression, anxiety, ocd for 2 yrs before they tapered and I balanced out. One tip I have for everyone is to start taking lots of high quality omega3 fish oils, stop eatting junk/fast food and foods with lots of preservatives, stick with the natural healthy foods, and get excercise slowly at first and work your way up over time. Doing all those things will actually help you body and brain balance out better than any drugs will and help you cope with the stress of this disorder.

Frank

Old 09-22-2005, 09:37 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

It definitely sounds like you have OCD. Check out the OCD board, and you'll find some posts on intrusive thoughts.

I'd share some of my intrusive thoughts, but I don't like to think about them because if I do I'll start obsessing over them. I've learned ways to stop myself before I have the thought. I don't know it this will make sense to anyone, but if I'm about to have an intrusive thought I'll either shake my head to "clear" it or I'll imagine myself kicking the thought back. I know it sounds corny, but it works. Everyone is different, and its really whats best for you, and thats something you have to be willing to work to find. I also am on medication (40mgs Paxil and 100mgs Lamictal) for my OCD and depression, respectively. I also have a therapist who I see every other week or so. So its a combination of things. I'd go talk to a Dr, because being depressed is definitely related, but not necessarily the cause of your intrusive thoughts. Good luck sorry for the rambling (^0^)

Last edited by jules1; 09-22-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Old 09-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #13
(female)

Shania4me HB User

I think all depressed people get those kind of thoughts. Years ago I used to panic when my parents would go away on a trip by plane as I would think they would be in a terrible accident far away and police would come to my door and tell me they are dead. I was low on my medication and they had to cancel their four week trip to Portugal as I was having severe panic attacks and very emotional. I thought the worst thoughts ever. I'm better now as they have been on many long distance trips in the past four years and it doesn't bother me but sometimes I still get thoughts of what will happen to me after they die. I'm the only one single and all my siblings are married so its very hard for me. I'm a very insecure person deep down and I'm scared of the future. I think alot of thoughts about the future and I don't know why I worry about it when it hasn't even happened yet. That's just the way I feel though.

Anne

Old 09-22-2005, 10:33 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I agree that it's either OCD or depressive ruminations. Oh, and Jules, I do the "shaking" thing to do get rid of my obsessions!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 09-23-2005, 02:38 PM   #15
(female)

britendarkk HB User

Thank you for your replies. Sam, I take Cymbalta too and it has definately helped with the suicidal thoughts.My doctor mentioned OCD when I told him about these intrusive thoughts, so maybe I do have that. Anyway I hope the Lexapro takes care of it, and everybody here finds some relief as well.

Closed Thread