It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User
Psychologist?

Am I doing the right thing seeking counceling? Or do I need to read self help books and get over this myself. What do you think? I am thinking about seeking help from my preacher and see if that helps also. I just don't feel down all the time, but when I do it feels like I will never feel better again. Is that the way you guys describe it.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User
Re: Psychologist?

I'd say that's how I feel when I'm down. Like nothing is right or good and it'll never be any better.

I think you're doing the right thing, but it never hurts to try lots of stuff. Try some self-help books too, talk to your preacher too. Sometimes you need medication, sometimes you just need support. Sometimes you need a combination. My doctor said she doesn't expect me to be on anti-deps forever, just until I've been able to get back to normal for a while and deal with my life in a normal fashion, then ease back off the meds.

If you feel like your doctor is not helping, I'd suggest trying a different doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

boiler454 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildDepJeff
I'd say that's how I feel when I'm down. Like nothing is right or good and it'll never be any better.

I think you're doing the right thing, but it never hurts to try lots of stuff. Try some self-help books too, talk to your preacher too. Sometimes you need medication, sometimes you just need support. Sometimes you need a combination. My doctor said she doesn't expect me to be on anti-deps forever, just until I've been able to get back to normal for a while and deal with my life in a normal fashion, then ease back off the meds.

If you feel like your doctor is not helping, I'd suggest trying a different doctor.
He wants me to try the Zoloft again. I don't know if I want to try the meds or not. Maybe it is what I need to do, but I constantly felt weired and not myself when I was on that stuff. I am trying to get it figured out. Maybe I didn't give it a chance, but I got nervous on Zoloft and that is when the trouble sleeping started. And I haven't goten as intense of a wave as I did when I was taking Zoloft and the 2 days of lexapro. I think I need to find coping skills to help. I just don't like the thoughts of being down and out. It is not fun at all. My wife says I will figure it all out. Maybe I will. I am trying to get a hold of myself. I guess that is step number 1. I just think the medicine gave me side effects. The lexapro made me feel like I was out of it. I don't know. Thanks man. Let me know what you think.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

hoiz HB User

Hey boiler454
In my opinion seeking help from a councellor or phychologist is a very helpful medicine to gradually move you back onto the path of self recovery.A councellor is there to just listen.If you feel you need to talk to someone to lift a huge weight off your shoulder, then this therapy will be very beneficial.A phychologist is slightly different, in the fact that they help you understand the causes for certain feelings and offer advice and opinions.They dig deep down to the root of your feelings.
I found councelling and seeing a pyschiatrist very helpful and i was finally able to release my frustration and anger onto someone who would listen and could offer me help for my depression.
A depressants work differently for each individual and take time for your body/brain to adjust to them.Im on Zoloft and for the first 6-8 weeks i suffered horrible side effects and was continuously knackered!Now it works wonders for my depression, and everyday life is no longer a chore.I want to get out of bed in the mornings now.Perhaps if you were to talk to your doctor and talk about the best AD for you, you could then take it just before you go to bed, in order for you to have a decent nights sleep, thus preventing the tiredness during the day.
I wish you luck and do let us know how you get on.
Take care.Holly

Closed Thread