It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

kellylynn25 HB User
Thumbs down Prozac

Hello everyone...my dr put me on prozac today..20 mgs..anyone take it? what are the side effects? how long do they go away and when will they start to make me feel different? Ugh I dunno if this is coincidence or not, but it is now 8:30 and I took my pill at 1:30 and I have dirahhea...could i have a side effect this quickly? any help is appreciated..thank-you in advance

Old 09-22-2005, 05:48 PM   #2
(female)

JCcat HB User
Re: Prozac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellylynn25
Hello everyone...my dr put me on prozac today..20 mgs..anyone take it? what are the side effects? how long do they go away and when will they start to make me feel different? Ugh I dunno if this is coincidence or not, but it is now 8:30 and I took my pill at 1:30 and I have dirahhea...could i have a side effect this quickly? any help is appreciated..thank-you in advance
Have you ever taken an antidepressant before? I'm kind of guessing no, and that the errrr, ummm, digestive disturbance you mention is from stress. For me it was very stressful to try medication because I had such a bad attitude about it. (Like, only bad or weak people NEED medication, or that I was on "drugs")

I never tried Prozac, but I have been on just about every other SSRI. Side effects can be different for everyone. Some people feel "amped up", some feel a bit sedated. If you have any really troublesome effects, call your doctor right away. It's your doctor's job to take care of you.

JCcat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
(female)

ajas HB User

HI
I agree with Jc cat, probably was nerves, I tried Prozac about 12years ago, It made sights "chrystal clear" Not sure how to describe it everything was really stark to look at.. I didnt like it very much,but stayed on for a few months, then tapered off as felt better.
I just wanted to say that and dont get frightened, but if after about 28 days or a month you feel a burning sensation in your head, ( like your brain is on fire )ok thats not going to exactly calm you, but if it happens DONT WORRY its quite normal, and it passes quickly.. I have spoken to 2 people who had the burning feeling and they said ( and me ) that if the doctor had have warned us we wouldnt have had acute anxiety over it.. That was the only side effects I had.
Remember not all drugs have the same side effects for everyone.... I hope they work for you
Best wishes
Sue

Old 09-29-2005, 01:29 AM   #4

knotme HB User

I used to take it; started at 10 then 20. It took a long time before it started working(wasn't sure, but it was over a month) then my scalp started "tingling" and feeling "heavy". Side effects: decreased libido, headache, dry mouth and sleepiness(though I've heard it causes insomnia for some). I've also heard it causes weight gain, but it didn't happen to me. Maybe my dosage wasn't high enough.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

Hey guys or gals,

I'm night #2/dose #32. I was instructed by my Dr.to switch from taking it in the morning to taking it before bed.
I too, felt those "tinglies" about a week ago. It felt like I had a hat on my head. It did pass, and so far I haven't felt that way again. I do feel sudden "rushes" that I just close my eyes to and breathe in deeply.
I was really concerned about my weight loss a few months back during a stressful new job and living arrangement. I moved back to my home state and am once again living with my parents. Sigh.
I currently have two jobs to try and keep myself busy and not get too depressed, but I still have not gained any weight back. I have an appetite, but I must have a high metabolism because I burn it off right away.
I was told by a gastrologist that I just have IBS. I think I have Celiac disease or just an intolerance to certain foods. I have tried elimination diets and expressed this to my doctors. I had blood tests done but everything came back negative.
When I go to the doctor, it's like I feel I am always doing all the talking. I feel like I'm wasting my time in there.

Are any of you in therapy and taking the Prozac too?

Closed Thread