It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User
Nervous about starting meds...

Due to all the negative things I've read about them. I think they 'might' help, but don't have a whole lot of money right now to find out.

I always hear about side effects... or how they made someone's mind cloudy and on and on.

Would like to hear some success stories in regard to them, better yet success stories, while making a note of just what you take.

I'm fed up with natural alternatives. I took something called "St. John's Positive thoughts" a year or so ago, which is a combination of St. John's Wort along with various amino acids and the like. First few months I felt great, only to have the positive effects wear off to the point of it doing zero good.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User
Re: Nervous about starting meds...

so far Wellbutrin is working great for me ~ I know it can be kinda scary trying these meds and they dont all work for all people but I really think it's worth a try! I know so many people's lives they have changed for the better, lots of people who feel sooo much better on an AD ~ you might try one and it doesnt work for you, but you will probalby know fairly quickly and you can try upping the dose or trying a different one all together ~ I know that seems like such a pain, but I really think it's worth it! you could try one for a month and then if that doesnt seem to help you could always try a different one the next month, so you arent really wasting extra money cuz you'd have to buy another dose the next month anyway ~
Wellbutrin is working great for me, gives me energy, its making me lose weight cuz I'm not hungry all the time like I was on Lexapro, and Wellbutrin has a low risk of sexual side effects ~ I think it's a good one to try

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Thanks for the reply.

My question is this:

Do you have insurance? (I ask because I somehow forgot to sign up this quarter at work)

If not and if you don't mind telling me, how much do you typically pay out of pocket? (a general estimate would be fine)

I'm currently not making the most money at work and simply can't afford to pay alot out of pocket, on the other hand I dread having to wait until next quarter to get insurance.

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 09-24-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I do have insurance, through the state, cuz I'm a single mom and dont make a ton at my job either (and my ex doesn't have insurance through his job for the kids) ~ so I pay $3 for prescriptions, but I know they do have generics of a lot of the AD's but not sure how much they cost ~ ??? ~ does anyone else here know?
otherwise a lot of times doctors will give you free samples to try to see how they work ~ maybe you could get enough free samples until you get on insurance next quarter ~ ??? ~ especially if you explain to the doctor that you dont have any insurance but you will in awhile ~ good luck!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by campingirl72; 09-24-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Thanks again for the reply.

I think I'm going to look into perhaps starting Wellbutrin.

One of the main issues I'm concerned with, are sexual side effects. I'm a virgin nearing 26 (in large part due to my mental issues) and when I get those squared away.. well let's just say I'm going to be looking for some action

If the sexual side effects are indeed low... it's no doubt the one I'm going to ask the Doc about first.

Old 09-24-2005, 05:32 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

You're welcome!
there are 2 other girls and 2 guys on another thread here that were having sexual problems on other AD's that switched to Wellbutrin ~ When I was on Lexapro I couldn't climax ~ and it sounds like that is everyone else's problem on those types of AD's too ~ everyone says it still felt good but they just couldnt have an orgasm ~ almost as soon as I started Wellbutrin (which is a different type than the other AD's) and started weaning off the Lexapro I didn't have that problem any more ~ I think it is a good one to try!

Old 09-24-2005, 08:48 PM   #7
(female)

Shania4me HB User

I"m on Effexor and I am doing alright with it. I first started on Imipramine and it was okay and all I got was a dry mouth and a bit drowsy but it soon goes away but don't go on a very high dosage as I went up to 225mgs and it made me gain alot of weight. If you are unsure about medications some herbal remedies have worked for some. Research it though. Talk to your family doctor about it. I know St. John's Wort is good for depression and Valerian is good for anxiety. I only use herbal teas myself when I'm having trouble falling asleep or on edge.

Anne

Old 09-26-2005, 02:25 AM   #8
Inactive

s1980 HB User

Hi there,
Meds have all kinds of different effects on all kinds of different people.
There are people here who feel that meds have changed their life, that gave them the help they needed, that made them feel 'normal' again and better able to cope with it all.
Also there are many people here who have really struggled with meds, the side effects making them unbearable and have certainly not got the desired effects from them.

The power of meds really cannot be underestimated, these little pills can cause massive changes good or bad and so I feel that the decision to take them really cannot be taken lightly. If you have already tried and tested many alternative treatments, including therapy/counselling, exercise and diet changes, herbal options etc.. without relief, and feel you are at the point where there aren't other options, then please speak to your doctor and you will probably go on a course of meds.

The only way to know how they will effect you is when you are taking them. You can ask others but I have found that the effects are always different with every person. I found relief in the past from Paxil and in England now they are considering taking it off the market because in others (especially teenagers) the depression got a hell of a lot worse - to the point of suicide in many so there you go, you really can't predict at all.

all the best

Old 09-26-2005, 06:13 AM   #9
(male)

j_j_boy HB User

be wary read up first google bad side efects of anti depressants and see how many problems there are all the best

Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

I'm taking lexapro with no problems, although it's only been three weeks. But it has definitely helped my depression, and I have not experienced any sexual side effects or weight gain or anything.

I was also wary of taking meds, but I'm glad I did. Keep in mind most people who have side effects say they go away shortly after stopping the medicine, so even if you do have some sort of bad effect you don't like, you can just stop that medicine and be back to normal.

Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 PM   #11
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Thanks everyone.

The thought of the meds 'not working' as seems to be the case with some people scares the Hell out of me. (simply because I don't think therapy alone will be enough and meds are really my only other option to find happiness)

That being said I'm going to hope for the best and that I'll be one of the lucky ones......

Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #12
(female)

hoiz HB User

Dont let the odd chance that meds wont work for you, scare the hell out of you.Ad's work differently for each individual, some causing worse side effects than others and others working brilliantly.Many people move from one med to another to find which works best for them, yet many find the med that works best for them first time around.I take Zoloft and suffered from some horrifying side effects at the beginning including severe dizzyness, bad nasuea, violent shakes,the sweats, a foggy cloud which just made me dive into a deeper state of depression and i became even more suicidal and also extreme tiredness where i would find myself instantly falling asleep at college or work which was horrible.
Then one day about 9 weeks into starting my meds, the Zoloft clicked and began to work.What made me stick with Zoloft was the fact that i needed help.I was suicidal and hurting everyone around me who cares for me.The thought that this drug has helped so many people in the world beat this mental illness and make day to day life bearable gave me the will power to put up with the bad side effects at the beginning.
If you were to try meds you may find they do not work for you straight away so give it a little time.If one med still doesnt work for you, pick yourself up brush yourself down and head for the next med hoping this one will work for you.Zoloft is now working wonders for me and by taking each day step by step i am feeling alot better whinin myself.Its amazing what one pill can do to someone.
Good luck and take care.
Holly

Closed Thread