It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User
Lexapro, Lexapro lexapro!

I just started the 10mg Lexapro today with my Lithium and Accutane. I have been on lithium for a while and accutane for over a month (I know accutane causes depression). The doctor said that Lexapro causes a decrease in sexual desire and weight gain which are my two biggest fears. But then so does Lithium and I have been okay.
Has anyone here experience any major side effects that went away or stayed? Also how long did Lexapro take to work for you and I know everyone is different. When I took Lithium it took less then a week for the full benifits to kick in and it may take other two months.
Also when someone is depressed do they have major memory issues, unable focus similar symptoms to ADHD and Anxiety? I have several moments when I am looking for someone to tell them something and I forget why I was looking for then or when I went into the garage to grab something but when I got there I donít remember why I was there. I sometimes feel like I have alzheimer's but that cant be possible because I am still young.

Old 09-24-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User
Re: Lexapro, Lexapro lexapro!

I took Lexapro 20mg for about 3 years and it definitely made me gain weight and I had sexual side effects from it, I am in the process of weaning off the Lex and started Wellbutrin and I am losing weight, have no appetite, and sexual side effects are gone ~ but I also read on here that some people didnt gain weight ~ so it is probably different for everyone ~
and yes when you have depression you can definitely have trouble concentrating ~ before I was on meds I was just like you, felt like I had ADD and Alzheimers ~ hopefully the meds will help you with that too

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

I can relate to the concentration and memory issues.

It's often something silly in my case. I'll sit my keys down somewhere and then not more than 30 seconds later forget where I put them and spend half an hour looking for them.

Or I'll be ready to say something and then suddenly forget what I was about to say.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
(male)

boricuaitaliano HB User

If I am taking Lithium, Lexapro an Accutane in the morning at the same time would it make cause one or two medications not to work or work slowly?

Old 10-11-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
(female)

shelley49001 HB User

Lexapro works wonders, BUT it causes weight gain and kills the sex drive! I am coming off of it after 2 years and have only been married 19 months and so much for my sex drive, I can care less! BUT that isn't me, its the drug....I lost my sex drive only after a month of taking it, and lost the ability to cry and have any kind of emotions. But it did me good for why I was taking it, it got rid of the aniexty, and most important depression, I went through a very bad time in my life and lexapro was a life savor, so it was give up other things just to be sain and normal! Now I feel great and can live life without it, a couple more weeks and I will be done with Lexapro, I have been taking 10mgs. I tried to take 20mgs but couldn't get out of bed! I would say if you were taking lexapro alone you would see a difference usually right away, but all people are different, but since you are taking other drugs, it might take some time to get in your system and work.

Old 10-13-2005, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostangel HB User

Once again, I see how the same drug, even the same dose works so differently for different people... I've been on Lexapro for over 2 years now. Same dose as Shelley49001, but all the opposite effects (or non-effects, at this point). Lex didnt affect my weight, nor my sex drive, but didn't get rid of my stellar ability to cry and have emotions either. Frankly, I think it stopped working, but when it did work, I still had my feelings, but the periods of depression itself became less intense.
Good luck to you, boricuaitaliano (are you Italian? Chiao!)
Angel

Last edited by lostangel; 10-13-2005 at 04:54 PM.

Closed Thread