It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User
SSRI drugs rejected by body.

Hello everyone, I am writing this post hoping that someone here has knowledge and experience and can recommend a next step for me. Here's my story. Im 23 and have had depression for a very long time. By the time I got help, I had already been thru a lot and was given Prozac, which was an absolute miracle. The prozac would have moments of pooping out for a few months and I would switch around but all in all I was making progress. Now something in my brain has changed. Last year while on prozac again, I started getting really strange headaches and later discontinued the medication and they went away. I then went into a natural remedies phase where i thought 5-htp would help so i tried that but it also gave me bad headaches. Tried st johns wort, same thing. Tried switching to different ssri drugs and same thing. Just awful migraines is best way to simply describe it. Effexor no dice migraine as well. Basically any thing I know to try is giving me awful headaches and I dont know what to do. I am emailing nih clinical studies to try and get a free pet scan as I had mri and spinal taps done my brain seems fine. Ughh Im in bad shape people what do i do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
(female)

JCcat HB User
Re: SSRI drugs rejected by body.

Hi Sinnister

Sounds like you need consultation with a decent neurologist.

I developed a migraine condition very suddenly BEFORE I was treated for depression with medication, but was prescribed a combination of Depakote and SSRI medication, and later tried Neurontin with various SSRI's, which was fairly successful.

I also used a few "rescue" medications for migraine during that time, such as Migranal and Maxalt.

Fortunately, after a couple of years, the headaches have mostly vanished.

Just a hunch, but I'm suspicious about SSRI's causing your headaches. Not that SSRI's are great, or don't cause nasty side effects sometimes, but because certain migraine conditions can come on very suddenly and be very persistent.

Supplements I used to aid with Migraine were feverfew and capsaicin. Lavendar compresses helped a lot too.

The only other medication that helped with depression besides SSRI's was Lithium, although it was only temporary. I understand there are Lithium supplements that supposedly help people too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User

Thanks for the reply but heres the thing. When I take ssri I get one type of headache its a very strange sensation I cant call it a typical migraine, I dont even know what one is. What I do know is that its very strange type of pain when i discontinue the med it goes away. Another type of headache I now get even when im off the drugs but I get these randomly. Its basically like a deep burning sensation at te center of my brain. But the ssri drugs are definately causing teh other headaches. The strange thing is even 5-htp is causing headaches, and right now as we speak I have a really bad one from taking ST JOHNS WORT!!!! which is supposed to be natural etc etc. Its a natural reuptake inhibitor of a few neurotransmitters but nonetheless its causing the exact same type of headache as the prozac and effexor paxil etc. It gets really bad when I am trying to sleep. Right before I am about to doze I get shooting pains that wake my right back up and cause me heavy anxiety cuz it feels like something in my brain is about to burst. Anyway its really weird and I do have a doc appt on thursday where I will request an appt with a neurologit but thats gonna take another week or so maybe a few blagh! In the meantime my depression is very very bad. I read the moderators post on talking about being suicidal so I wont. But I will ask, if one is in really bad shape what is one to do???? Even waiting several weeks seems unacceptable to me this state of being is driving me crazy. I am extremely irritable, no energy or motivation, feeling of emptiness and its all at an extreme level. Anyway I am in bad bad shape I dont know what to do? Should I go to a hospital and ask to talk to the shrink? Calling 911 and having a big scene doesnt sound too good. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:37 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User

bump thread for more responses

Closed Thread