It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

lost n lonely HB User
Unhappy Advice needed please.........

Hi everyone, Iíve just registered here. Wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

I have a doctors appointment this afternoon and I think I may be depressed although I donít know how I should broach it with my doctor.

**Background**
This year has been the worst I ever remember. Iím 25 and for the first time in my life I am unable to lift myself up and believe that things will be ok.

I donít even really know how to explain it here, other than I feel completely numb, like I canít really feel emotions, not good ones anyway. Even when Iím with a group I feel somehow excluded, like Iím on the edge looking in.

My confidence is at an all time low, I know that Iím fairly attractive but I have become so self conscious and feel myself avoiding certain social situations, even going to the shops. When I do go out socially I drink too much to compensate and lately Iíve probably been drinking 4 or 5 nights a week.

I know this isnít helping but for an hour or so, I forget about things and relax somewhat. Also it helps me sleep.

I feel extremely lonely, I lived away from home for a few years and moved home a year ago. Old friends had moved on and new ones live too far away. My relationship with my parents isnít good and my sister told me this morning she doesnít know why she bothers with me! I wonder that too, it seems Iím only useful when someone wants something done, no-one ever asks how I am. When I recently broke up with my boyfriend and told my mum, I was extremely upset, she simply replied Ďwhat are you crying forí and it hasnít been mentioned since.

I feel like a failure, dreading work every day and equally dreading going home. Tears come so easy but no-one sees or pretends not to see anyway. I literally never have anyone to talk too, sure pleasantries and chit chat, but no-one actually concerned for my well being. I feel the burden of life very heavy at the minute and coupled with the fact that I am drinking a lot recently is my reason for the doctors appointment.

What I want to know is how do I approach the doctor? What do I say? And is this depression or just me feeling extremely sorry for myself?

Thanks to anyone who reads this, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User
Re: Advice needed please.........

Sounds like depression to me. There really isn't any such thing as "just feeling extremely sorry for yourself"... I mean, if you're feeling really down in the dumps about your situation, you're feeling real emotions, sadness depression whatever.

Say to the doctor exactly what you just said here. As many people on here point out, be prepared to try another doctor if this one is not sympathetic to your problems.

Personally I think that not having enough close people to talk to (friends and/or family) is one reason that people get depressed. I know it's part of the reason I'm depressed. What would normally just be a "bad day" or whatever kinda hangs around when you don't have anyone to talk about it with... you can't get it off your chest and eventually they just sorta pile up and push you down.

I'm sorry you broke up with your boyfriend. I'm also sorry your mom wasn't receptive to talking about it. You can always come on here, I know online talking isn't as good as in person, but it can still help you feel a little better.

Old 09-26-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Felicia65 HB User
Re: Advice needed please.........

Hello, I just read your post, and it sounds like you are depressed, Just tell the doctor how you feel. I can see a little of whats wrong with you, I am sorry for your lose with your boyfriend. I know that hurts, break ups always do. it takes time to adjust to new things. Some times people are to busy with there own lives to really see whats going on in anothers. Sad but true....... Please stop that drinking it will make things alot worst in the end...... Have you thought about seeing a counselor they can help. you need to talk to someone and get thing out, even if it means coming here. It does help.. I come here alot to the healthboards.......... I am going though some pretty bad times my self.... and I have no one to talk to But one friend and she is having a hard time too so I really don't wont to over load her............ Please remember things do get better....... Felicia

Closed Thread