It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User
Depression Success Stories?

Hey all I thoughT i would make a thread where people can come and give hope to others. If anyone has gotten well after serious mental illness feel free to post here.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:45 AM   #2
Inactive

seekalot HB User
Re: Depression Success Stories?

I feel I am a definite "formerly depressed" success story. I spent most of my life extremely depressed since at least my early teens, wandering around, moved a lot geographically and in different jobs and schools, maintained no stable relationships.

Well, now I am 53 and have a great job, wonderful apt., making many friends and feel good much of the time. I spent many years in and out of therapy, MUCH OF IT I FEEL WASTED. So what DID work to defeat my depression?

It started about the time a caring friend came out from my past and helped me take the steps to get this great job. When I moved 200 miles to take it, she helped me find my way around my new town, gave me the lowdown on the people at the job, and offered invaluable support and friendship. In order to take this I had to leave a very unhappy marriage I should have left years ago. My parents and others helped me financially and emotionally to do that, even though I was positive I couldn't possibly survive without this essential person in my life. Well, now, amazingly enough, I really LIKE living single and when I think of trying to accommodate someone else's bad moods, bad habits, crowding my space again, I kind of think "yuck!"

Also in the months before this big move I did two other things: One, I got involved in two volunteer activities I'd always wanted to. With that, my confidence and self-esteem soared. And two, I started on an anti-depressant -- much against my will, I might add. I had tried many ADs over the years, some did little or nothing but cause other annoying symptoms (possibly because I didn't stay with them long enough in some cases to get to an effective dosage). Other ADs seemed to offer a little relief but caused side effects I deemed too obnoxious to tolerate. Now I'm on a very low (almost sub-clinical dosage) of an AD which makes all the difference in the world to me. Life feels fine most of the time! For me to say that is a near miracle, after my lifetime of being a slave to gloom, doom, pessimism, hopelessness, endless generalized feelings of grief, inability to enjoy anything...

Let me suggest four keys that my experience suggests if you are depressed and want to defeat it:
1. nurture at least one loyal loving friendship or family relationship. (try for a few, it's less stressful on all, but at least try to manage one) That friendship may in its own time and way help you find your way out of depression.
2. I hate to send anyone into the wild goose chase of psychotropic medication, but it is just so important I have to say, do it! Go march into the thicket of ADs and keep trying different ones and different dosages till you find what helps without too high a cost in side-effects and such. The right one can help you claim a life worth living.
3. Do what you must to get what you consider a really good job. More job training, change fields, back to school, an apprenticeship, whatever it will take to get yourself qualified and involved in it. In my opinion, this alone (a good-paying, satisfying job where you are treated with respect) may be THE key piece in staying undepressed.
4. I list this last because I like it least and because so very much time in therapy is basically wasted, but working with a thoughtful yet practical therapist can help you understand and figure out how to change so much you are doing wrong that contributes to your depression.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 03:38 AM   #3
Inactive

s1980 HB User

Hi there,
Good idea for a post, I really like these ones as it can show people going thru the worst that depression is beatable and you can come out the other side and begin to build your life again.

Seekalot, I found your reply really good, thankyou for listing some of those things that really helped you.

I went thru the worst of depression 7 years ago, good grief, I shudder at the thought of those days, I find it incredible I got thru that, an attempt at suicide being the massive wake up call. I didn't have medication then, the doctor I was seeing was pretty clueless about it all. My family were at their wits end, my Mother explained that if I carried on as I was at that time she was probably going to have a nervous breakdown and I was going to end up in some mental home somewhere.
It was something very small that saved me, just the smallest little something that I found I would really miss if I went away. I hung on to that, I made it my treasure, my reason for living and I began to find more. Slowly I came out of the worst, I began to look at the world in a new way, you see the world is full of beautiful things, they are all around us, they make us smile, or laugh, they can move us very deeply inside, they can make us hang on, they can make us turn our lives around.
I rebuilt my life, I began to do things I had never done before, like travelling, I decided I wanted to achieve a dream, I wanted to travel - that was the start of some of the best years of my life.

I got a second chance, I survived depression, it came back again a few years later but this time it was never taking me back down to where it had before, I was determined to fight, it was never going to beat me. I still sometimes have very hard days where I want to take to my bed and I can feel the feelings creeping back into me but I consider my time with depression over.
I won the battle and life has brought so much since - I hope all the other people here can too.

all the best

Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 AM   #4
(female)

hybridelements HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1980
Hi there,
Good idea for a post, I really like these ones as it can show people going thru the worst that depression is beatable and you can come out the other side and begin to build your life again.

Seekalot, I found your reply really good, thankyou for listing some of those things that really helped you.

I went thru the worst of depression 7 years ago, good grief, I shudder at the thought of those days, I find it incredible I got thru that, an attempt at suicide being the massive wake up call. I didn't have medication then, the doctor I was seeing was pretty clueless about it all. My family were at their wits end, my Mother explained that if I carried on as I was at that time she was probably going to have a nervous breakdown and I was going to end up in some mental home somewhere.
It was something very small that saved me, just the smallest little something that I found I would really miss if I went away. I hung on to that, I made it my treasure, my reason for living and I began to find more. Slowly I came out of the worst, I began to look at the world in a new way, you see the world is full of beautiful things, they are all around us, they make us smile, or laugh, they can move us very deeply inside, they can make us hang on, they can make us turn our lives around.
I rebuilt my life, I began to do things I had never done before, like travelling, I decided I wanted to achieve a dream, I wanted to travel - that was the start of some of the best years of my life.

I got a second chance, I survived depression, it came back again a few years later but this time it was never taking me back down to where it had before, I was determined to fight, it was never going to beat me. I still sometimes have very hard days where I want to take to my bed and I can feel the feelings creeping back into me but I consider my time with depression over.
I won the battle and life has brought so much since - I hope all the other people here can too.

all the best

i certainly hope that i will win the battle again.. kinda survived it once,and i will do it again.. Now, i believe that the world is bright, if only u have the light in your heart..

Old 09-28-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
(female)

Lostwon HB User

Well I have gotten much better. I am still depressed, especially now because of situations I'm going through but I wouldn't go back to 10 years ago for anything.
I've almost forgotten what it's like to be depressed to the point of nausea, self harm, and repetitious suicidal thinking on a continual basis. Sometimes now I feel healthy and relaxed, I even think I'm happy--an impossibility once apon a time.

Closed Thread