It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Counsellors/Therapists

So I went today for my second meeting with my therapist or whatever you want to call her. Here is a list of questions and my answers what I was thinking is in brakets
1. Do you sleep well - No ( this is why I take Zoplicone)
2. Do you have suicidal thoughts or thoughts of self harm - yes but not as many as before (hey I am being honest here)
3. How do you handle these thoughts - I handle them (I am pretty sure the report she got from my psych plus the report from the initial assessments explains the scars on my arms)
4. Do you have problem concentrating - yes (right about now I am almost zoning her out)
5. So she says I think you are experincing signs of depression- (I have been diagnosied with severe major depression disorder also in her report, this would also explain why I take paxil and remeron
6. Then she starts asking about my childhood- I don't remember much before I was twelve (I am being honest, same answer I gave her two weeks ago)
7. What do you remember from your childhood- I spent a lot of time at a babysitters because my parents worked funny shifts (same answer again)
8. Was she a nice lady - no (she wasn't)
9.So she comes to the conclusion that I am protective over my child because I had a mean babysitter, so she schedules another appointment in three weeks. So I think I need to find a new therapist or was this session normal?

take care

Old 09-27-2005, 11:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User
Re: Counsellors/Therapists

Hi TRG
What a crock! I think she is wasting your time.

If a counselor treated me like that, I would have to ask. Are you bored, or do you just hate your job?

Best wishes,
Sam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2005, 11:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

I kind of thought it was odd, you figured after she found out I was a social worker there would be some sort of professional courtesy

Old 09-28-2005, 06:36 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

Yeah no kidding. Find another one. For comparison, the family therapist we see for my son will start out with questions, and when she realizes he's not going to give meaningful answers, she'll switch tactics and go to an interactive activity, or talk about a completely different topic, or whatever. She doesn't just repeat the questions hoping for new answers. She'll also call him on it when he's BSing... For example, no offense, but "I handle them" would NOT be a good enough answer for her if she was asking about suicidal thoughts.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User

As a counsellor myself, the one you saw seems like she doesn't know what shes talking about. She probably thinks you cant remember anything until you was 12, because you have a trauma prior to this time which could of caused the onset of your depression. This could be a natural assumption but, personally, I would change counsellor. Ring around counsellors, have a chat over the phone with them. When you feel secure and confident or even just relaxed, then book that counsellor. If you dont like the counsellor, you dont have to stay with that one. Try and find a counsellor you can trust and feel comfortable expressing how you feel. I like my clients to feel comfortable with me as if their talking to a old, trusted friend. It helps a lot. Good luck

Old 09-28-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
(female)

a_blue_nowhere HB User

I don't remember before 12 either, and my councellor has not made any assumtions about that.

Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Yup it is definately time to go looking for a new one, I did not really have the problem with the assumtions she was making it just seemed that she was really unsure of herself and it bothered me that even though it was only the second time meeting we seemed to be moving backwards and not forward

Old 09-28-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User

Hi TRG,
I would expect in the very least as a professional courtesy, for her to tell you if she thinks she can't help you. I don't think that's even the case. You don't feel comfortable....period! I hope you find someone that can help you get on the right track.

Best wishes,
Sam

Old 09-29-2005, 12:28 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks Sam, we are currently looking around for a new one or possibly in the same organization where my counsellor is from as they are a free service. Guess you get what you pay for

Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User

Hi TRG,
I happened to find some of the best therapists at the free/reduced cost clinics. That's where I go now. When I had insurance, I sure couldn't afford a therapist and couldn't afford to see my pdoc just enough to get meds. Best wishes! I hope you find someone that is good and that will help you.

Sam

Old 09-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247
Guess you get what you pay for
Actually, that's not true. After paying big bucks for a therapist and different psychiatrists... the best counseling I ever found turned out to be free. Their effect on me was life-changing.

Think of all the money I wasted....

Don't give up, keep looking until you find the right one for you.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

this organization the counselor is with is suppose to be good maybe I just got unlucky and got a bad one

Old 09-30-2005, 11:38 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

MildDepJeff HB User

I'd guess that's probably it. When I told my son's therapist the psychiatrist I was going to see she did one of those suck-air-through-your-teeth-disapprovingly things... She said she's heard lots of bad things about him. But I actually wound up seeing the other doctor in his practice, who I've been very happy with. So it totally depends on who you see.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:53 AM   #14
(female)

a_blue_nowhere HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
Actually, that's not true. After paying big bucks for a therapist and different psychiatrists... the best counseling I ever found turned out to be free. Their effect on me was life-changing.

Think of all the money I wasted....

Don't give up, keep looking until you find the right one for you.

I agree totally about finding the best therapists and she happens to be free as well. She is awesome. She is like my life coach/advocate/cheerleader. I am working with her and also once a month we meet with a psychiatrist to check out medication and results ect.

Before this I paid 135 dollars an hour for a psychologist who had this superior attitude that made me feel like such a loser. I cannot say enough about finding the right help to work through your problems it makes such a difference. I think I am finally on the road to recovery. As my depression was severe but situational a life coach trype therapy is exactly what i needed.

Closed Thread