It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
(female)

sml83 HB User
severe pms... pushing away loved ones

Sometimes I become very depressed... to the point where all I want to do is cry about anything and everything and it's all I can do to get out of bed in the morning and face the day. I've narrowed these times down to right before my period starts.
I'm going through it now... I just called my mom from work crying about something I KNOW is so trivial... but something that happened that makes me feel extremely hurt and jealous.
I know this has to be PMS, but there HAS to be a way to control it! Maybe by certain foods to eat or to avoid... certain medications that could possibly help...

I become a completely different person for about a week where I don't even want to see my boyfriend of a year and almost every month (it's not always so bad) I get to the point where I want to take a break from our relationship because he either did something to hurt me or annoy me and I feel as if I'm making a mistake by staying with him.

After my period is over, I'm 100% back to normal.

Does anyone experience severe emotional symptoms of PMS and if so, how do you deal with it?

Old 09-29-2005, 04:24 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WhiteLight HB User
Re: severe pms... pushing away loved ones

I have heard of some women experiencing severe PMS symptoms. There is a name for it but for the life of me I cant remember the name.

There is nothing I know of for you to avoid. If you do a search on the internet you may find which foods can help and what foods to avoid.

Personally I would see your doctor. Severe PMS symptoms that bring on depression and make you that irritable and your life hell, need checking out. It could be that your hormones are out of whack during your period or a over-active thyroid gland. And it may be none of these. Just simply "one of them things."

Seeing your doctor and ruling out any health problems is your first priority. Also speaking to you doctor about how your periods and affecting your life by bringing on depression and turning you into a completely different person, would be advisable. Trust me, the doctor can help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Lightbulb Re: severe pms... pushing away loved ones

I think the name of it is simply "Pre Menstrual Syndrome" but I could be wrong. I do know people that suffer severly, emotionally and physcially. My sister as a matter of fact, she gets HORRIBLE HEADACHES, and I mean horrible. They are probably migranes. She gets nausiated and can't stand to be around anyone, just wants to SLEEP. That happens right before her period.

I wish you a lot of luck and hope that you keep us updated, u are not a lone in this!

Old 09-29-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
(female)

starrynight3333 HB User

hello, you may have "premenstrual dysphoric disorder (pmdd), i am on zoloft for anxiety and i know one of the treatments for pmdd is zoloft because it states it in my pamphlet that comes with my pills. you may want to talk to your doctor about it, because it appears there are ways to manage it, best of luck! starry

Old 10-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
(female)

alsaser HB User

sml83,
I'm in the same boat...I get severly depressed when I have pms. Suicidal urges haunt me and I'm soooo irritable and short with people, my friends and family....everyone bugs me...I HATE being that way, cause I know I hurt people. as soon as I start my period it ends. I usually try to warn people, I have pms, just leave me alone for a few days, (or a week). I have a # of things that change during pms, I cant sleep, of course pain, I'm bloated, I feel like the ugliest person in the world, I get acne, and I cry at everything!!!! Once I was watching the Fresh Prince and Will graduated from college, it was supposed to be a kind of touching episode, normally I'd be..whatever, but I had pms and burst into tears over a tv character graduating from college! I couldnt stop crying. now I lol over that.
Recently, I found an old pic of my ex who I'm totally over (he was a jerk) but I started crying hysterically missing him...the next day I was like, what on earth?
Sometimes I've written suicide notes, sometimes I write letters to my good friends or family members about why they are bugging me so bad and i cant talk to them anymore. (I've never sent them..I'm so glad!) That's NOT me!!!
So yes, hormones can cause drastic changes in you! You are certainly not alone...in fact I have pms now and have been pretty depressed, but not THAT bad.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

Hi all,
look up "estrogen dominance" on the web ~ high estrogen/low progesterone levels can cause severe pms and other problems

Closed Thread