It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User
Something for EVERYONE

If you've got some time, read the story, it may seem childish but it has a point I swear (it's my favourite from when I was younger too)

Once upon a time there was a beautiful little girl princess whom her father the king loved more than heaven and earth. He wanted to protect her from the world so he kept her in the castle as soon as the cold winds started to stop her getting a chill. She had no friends around to share all the good things she had.
On the day of her birthday (which fell in november) every craftsman in the land was ordered to bring a gift for the princess, a huge procession headed towards the castle carrying the most beautiful clothes, the most inventive toys, the princess looked out her window and cried because none of these things was any substitute for the happiness she could never find shut away - and she knew the old craftsmasters would never bring it to her.
The day before her birthday a young man sat alone in his shop, he had recently inherrited his trade and he was worried out of his mind as to what to bring the princess, he had no time to make something and eventually so he sat all day thinking. That night, he didn't sleep at all but went out into the forest, and when he started on the road next day he three large sacks stuffed full in his hands.
At the gift giving ceremony the presents piled up, each one more exciting that the last, and more and more strained grew the princesses smile. The last gift giver came, far younger than all the rest and shaking nervously.
"And what has this man brought for my special beautiful little highness asked the king?"
"Your majesty, I have no craft to equal the princess's lovliness, so I bring her this:" and with that he walked to the huge doors into the hall and flung them open letting the wind swirl round, then he threw the contents of his sacks up into the air - leaves all gold and red and green flew up like birds to spiral round the hall and coming down to settle in huge drifts.
"What is the meaning of this?" yelled the king?
Well your honour, last night I went out to the forest and stood with my sacks under the trees, for everyone knows that if you catch a falling leaf it will bring you a day of perfect happiness. I have enough leaves here to last the princess many many years, and enough to share with all the friends she will surely make if she goes out into the world.
The king looked like he was about to explode "HOW DARE..." but was stopped by a sound never heard in the castle before: the princess, disregarding her fragile dress, was laughing, throwing the leaves up into the air, jumpin in them, and suddenly a bird that had been caught in the sacks flew into the air and started singing.
"Young man, I thank you," said the king, "you have not only brought happiness to my daughter but wisdom to myself, from now on will you be her friend so that she may go out into the world as she pleases so she can share the happiness she brings me with all the realm?"
The young man agreed and the princess was allowed out into the world, and had many happy days there with her new friends (for she soon made many). And every day she would give a leaf to someone who looked as sorely in need of a happy day as she had been.

Now it'ss nearly time for her birthday again. So what I ask is that people go out and catch a leaf and give it to someone else on this thread, you can catch as many as you like, and by november we should have hundereds; your task starts now, go catch leaves and see what you can do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostangel HB User
Re: Something for EVERYONE

This is such a lovely story, flinch! Thank you for posting it... This is a magical time of the year in my parts, and the leaves are amazing (I'm too clumsy to catch one, I'm afraid )

It is so fitting that such a story comes to us at night, after all that has been asked about bed time stories that we discussed and 'read' to each other here--this one seems so appropriate right now. Perhaps, once again, it may be a pure coincidence that it comes in the fall, after all what John has been reminding and teaching us about fun things of the season and God's artwork with paint brushing of the earth right now. I'm so sad he decided to leave the boards... But I know he would have loved this story and would probably get excited with his little green bouncies and suggest that maybe everyone should pick up some “KODACHROME” film, load it in their cameras and take some pictures of the true “Kodak moments” of our lives!!!

John, this is for you.

Old 10-01-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User

((((((((((((((((((((Flinch)))))))))))))) ))))

What a wonderful story (fable). I should have known *you* with such a big heart would post something like this.

Thank you!!!!!

Love, hugs and prayers,
Sam

Old 10-02-2005, 03:26 PM   #4
(female)

Jecca1 HB User

I loved it too!! Thanks for posting it. Little things mean a lot to people who have a need. It doesn't even have to cost a penny. Just a kind word or encouragement, and what does it take? Just a little of our time, and a little thought. Being sensitive to others in our rushed and/or stressed lives is what we need more of. I will try harder starting today.

I hope John will be back soon.

Closed Thread