It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
(female)

justmeUK HB User
New

Hi I'm new to the board just really someone to talk with someone who knows how i feel at times.
Most of the time although not all the time i do get a bit down tears over nothing taking everything to heart i can be fine one minute the next a wreck. As a student nurse i cant really go to the docs as it can jepordise my career in nursing. Does anyone know of any herbal medicine that mood enhances. I know im not the only one that feels like i do and thats at least some help what do you guys generally do when u feel really low, my boyfriend doesnt understand for him mental health is a no go area. The main thing is the mood swings and the tiredness i could sleep all day and all night if i was allowed and generally not wanting to do very much.
Anyway this is my kinda first time on a board like this and a bit unusual.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Samantha317 HB User
Re: New

Hi and Welcome to the boards!

I haven't had any personal experience with herbal remedies but there are some that use, St. John's Wort, Happy Camper, Omega 3 & Omega 6, etc.

You can do some searches on this board. I hope some drop by to give their personal experiences with which ones have worked best for them.

I hope you keep posting, it helps to find others that share your same feelings.

I understand the moodiness and the tiredness.

Best wishes,
Sam

Last edited by Samantha317; 10-03-2005 at 09:03 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

justmeUK HB User

it just horrible i hate feeling like this im 23 and for 21 years i was fine the last 2years i have been mostly ok then the last few months im on the road to self destruction i just wish i didnt feel so emotional all the time. The smallest thing sets me off i would be fine if i knew what had caused it in the 1st place.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
(female)

HeidiUK HB User

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad at the moment. I know that future employers can ask for your medical details and that it may affect your career as a nurse, but even nurses get depressed and it is important that you receive some help if it's all getting a bit much. If your depression started suddenly two years ago, there are probably reasons for it and it may be helpful to get some counselling and explore these. If you can afford to see someone privately, do so- it does not have to go on your medical records. If you are a student at a university, the uni should provide free counselling services, and you can sign a form to say you do not wish your GP to be notified. Otherwise, many towns have counselling centres, where you just give a donation rather than pay a fee, or ask if someone, perhaps a student counsellor in their final year, can see you for a reduced fee. I know this as I'm in a similar position myself- hope it helps.

Old 10-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
(female)

justmeUK HB User

Thanks heidi i dont know the thought of gettin help daunts me i work part time in the mental health ward in the hospital i guess i kind of thought i could deal with it alone but maybe not. I guess it started after having an abortion at the time i felt fine with it and have never regretted it at all it was the right decision at the time but i cant help but think that mixed with the death of my gran (which i admit i have not got over at all) and a car accident along with studying has been tough.
I have been put off seeking help because (1) my boyfriend doesnt like discussing mental health problems (he doesnt want me getting labelled) and (2) i got asked on my uni appliacation if i had ever been depressed "because there no saying what ppl with mental health problems could do" her words not mine.
i am hoping once i qualify to move to america hopefully be better services available there

Old 10-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #6

knotme HB User

hey there
u can try GABA(gamma-aminobutyric acid), 5-HTP(5-hydroxytryptophan), D and L-PA(D-Phenylalanine and L-Phenylalanine), Inositol and L-Tyrosine, in addition to the two that's mentioned by Sam. These SUPPLEMENTS aides our body's ability to regulate or enhance serotonin and neurotransmitters dopamine and noradrenaline. Some may be purchased on its own, others are harder to come by and are usually included in vitamin supplements comonly labled as energy booster for dieting or body building. Google for more info.

WARNING: as we all know, depression affects us differently, what works for one person may not work for others(Omega3 and St.John's Wart has very little effect on me). Similarly, being of naturally occuring does not mean it's completely safe, as these are SYNTHESIZED compounds. Some of these supplements are NOT to be taken with SSRI or MAOI, nor should they be used long term. As with other AD's, these supplements may and may not have side effects. Comon side effects are dry mouth, headaches, stomache discomfort, disorientation, etc. Same precaution applies as with all AD's.

Since you work in the hospital perhaps you might use this topic in discussion with health care proffessionals in aiding your depression from grief and loses.
Hope you feel better soon

Closed Thread