It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User
What AD options are there for me?

Hello,
I have hypothyroid - when it started (four years ago) all SSRI's quit working for me. I had been on an effexor/zoloft combo(low dose) for 5 years successfully. after I started getting sick with the thyroid (and gaining 60 lbs in one year) we tried the gamut of SSRIs (and serzone), I also tried wellbutrin with no improvement. I have tried imiprimine (tri-cyclic) and it made me feel weird and dizzy. I have also tried stimulants - which work great - but I just had to come off of one three weeks ago because they told me I can't take them long-term and I'm risking heart damage. I don't want to take an MAOI and one doc suggested Lamictal and after reading about it, I don't think I want that either. I can't take other neuroleptics like topomax because it decreases the effectiveness of the birth control pill. Can't have that....is there anything else out there I can try - I need an AD - I've tried in the past to go without and I don't do well....Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. (I have unipolar major depression ("severe" on the questionaire), GAD, social anxiety, agrophobia, chronic insomnia, and a touch of OCD (mostly the obsessive part)....I would appreciate any help you can give me....
Thanks so much - I am so down I can't concentrate and my job depdends on it -
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User
Re: What AD options are there for me?

I wish I knew what could help you! Have you talked to a couple doctors to get different opinions and see if they know of anything else you could try?
Or are there any other options instead of birth control pill you could use, like condoms, sponge, patch, IUD??? so you could take a neuroleptic??? sorry, wish I had an answer for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #3
(male)

stilltrying HB User

What about cytomel (T3) to enhance an SSRI? Although you're probably on a thyroid med already, right?

Old 10-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

yep - already on synthroid and cytomel - saw doc today - we're going to try cymbalta since I have insomnia and if that doesn't work maybe lamictal - so cross you fingers for me if you would....I really appreciate your replies!! Thank you so much....
Best wishes to everyone,
Kathy

PS I may be able to do lamictal with the BCP but am also considering getting a tubal soon - I am 40 yrs old....so maybe there will be more options.....

Thanks again....

Last edited by wxKathy2; 10-06-2005 at 02:36 PM.

Closed Thread