It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

hoiz HB User
Am i ready to wean myself off Ad's alone, yet?

Am i just not ready yet to begin to wean myself off of anti depressants?

To explain: I took the decision three or so weeks ago to begin to wean myself off of Zoloft 100mg which ive been taking for six months.After starting college all over again, feeling confident and fairly happy within myself and my new course and selection of friends, i truely began to feel a difference in my depression.Recently ive been feeling happier and more cheerful, so decided to take the challenging decision of beginning to lower my dose of Ad's. I did this without consultation from my doctor, without talking through my options with family for support and without fully knowing what i should expect from the chemical balance change my anti depressants would cause.

I began to miss the odd pill now and again and then tried to miss every third pill.I then began halving my tablets to produce a 50mg dosage.However i have experienced a clear change within myself and i don't think i can cope.I'm feeling trapped again, helpless and am being showered with thoughts of guilt and self pity.Last night i found myself crying uncontrolably just like the night before and the night before that.

My question is, am i just not ready to think about weaning myself off of my Ad's?
Do i need the help of my doctor?
Will i be dependant on a single pill every day for some time to come, as everytime i miss a pill i suffer horrible side effects and my mood rapidly starts to change?!

Please help me.I'm just starting to really feel better with the help of my wonderful Ad's, and now im thinking of trying to stand on my own two feet but im being dragged two steps backwards each time i lower or miss a dose.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: Am i ready to wean myself off Ad's alone, yet?

You are not tapering off correctly. You need to gradually lower the dose and take that same dose every day until you feel stabilized -- then you can lower it some more.

Skipping days will just keep your body in a constant state of withdrawal. Halving the dose is also too much at one time.

You need to go much slower and be consistent on a daily basis.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:30 AM   #3
(male)

sgt207 HB User
Re: Am i ready to wean myself off Ad's alone, yet?

Go slow - then go even slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz
Am i just not ready yet to begin to wean myself off of anti depressants?

To explain: I took the decision three or so weeks ago to begin to wean myself off of Zoloft 100mg which ive been taking for six months.After starting college all over again, feeling confident and fairly happy within myself and my new course and selection of friends, i truely began to feel a difference in my depression.Recently ive been feeling happier and more cheerful, so decided to take the challenging decision of beginning to lower my dose of Ad's. I did this without consultation from my doctor, without talking through my options with family for support and without fully knowing what i should expect from the chemical balance change my anti depressants would cause.

I began to miss the odd pill now and again and then tried to miss every third pill.I then began halving my tablets to produce a 50mg dosage.However i have experienced a clear change within myself and i don't think i can cope.I'm feeling trapped again, helpless and am being showered with thoughts of guilt and self pity.Last night i found myself crying uncontrolably just like the night before and the night before that.

My question is, am i just not ready to think about weaning myself off of my Ad's?
Do i need the help of my doctor?
Will i be dependant on a single pill every day for some time to come, as everytime i miss a pill i suffer horrible side effects and my mood rapidly starts to change?!

Please help me.I'm just starting to really feel better with the help of my wonderful Ad's, and now im thinking of trying to stand on my own two feet but im being dragged two steps backwards each time i lower or miss a dose.

Closed Thread