It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 05:37 PM   #1
(female)

messy HB User
what about non God believers?!

Reading through many posts on the whole site, I must admit Im pleased to see how many people believe in God and have hope because of that. Thing is, I dont! Of course I respect every single person's beliefs as I would expect them to be likewise to mine. I would just be so interested to hear from more people who dont believe. Personally I used to believe in God when I was younger, mainly I think because I simply wanted to. Now Im older my 'logical' mind wont accept any religious beliefs any more, though I am very spiritual, in different ways to religion. I dont just not believe in God because of my own problems that never get better, I just..dont believe! No offence at all to anyone with faith, just expressing a personal viewpoint. How do the non believers cope with neverending pain of all varieties, without convincing yaself theres someone up there lookin after you? Just majorly interested to hear more from all you lovely peeps, thats all!

As far as my own depression is concerned, I may as well give up on using the simple english language to explain it, it couldnt be more terrifying or hopeless.

xxxx michelle

Old 10-05-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User
Re: what about non God believers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by messy
[...]though I am very spiritual, in different ways to religion.
Just by curiosity could you elaborate ?

I have also become a non-believer. I don't believe religion brings you nearer to God. I don't believe religion is from God ! As a result I feel very free (in my mind) and peaceful too.

I know there is a lot of pain in the world and I don't understand why. What I do however is to always strive to find solutions and learn from past experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2005, 09:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

I respect everyone's right to their own beliefs

I believe in God, but sometimes I think He forgot me or is mad at me or sometimes I just need something more tangible.....

Sometimes it helps me to reach inside myself and ask for strength from my own being - I ask myself "what do I have in me to help me through this".....this is on a better day of course....Most days I see black and feel dark - sometimes I try to think of all the trials I've already come through - and that back then I didn't think there was another side to the mountain in front of me - but there was and sometimes that helps too - even when this mountain looks like everest - there must be another side and if I hang in there long enough I can get there..... - I also find hope in people who have gone down the path and found success - and I sometmies I think "this too shall pass" because nothing ever stays the same - and sometimes I try to think that it's not all or nothing....sometimes when I'm really down it seems like there are only two choices: all or nothing.....but that's not true - that's just how it looks from the pit - I try to remember there are alway more choices - I may not know about them yet -but there are.....Hope some of this helps Believe me, I don't think about these all the time - just in a really low moment or sometimes a better day - many days are still dark - but hang in there - it can't stay like this forever...nothing in nature ever stays the same.....
I will be thinking of you....
All my best wishes,
Kathy

Old 10-05-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Michelle,

My logical brain finally won out over my ability to fantasize and "believe". I know that Believing is an important psychological function in the human brain, but I can't help noticing that whole societies all over the world have existed for generations and hundreds or thousands of years by Believing -- and they all Believe something different!!! So I decided that Belief (aka Religion) itself is more important to most human brains than the actual contents of that Belief, so therefore the contents were not important -- that is, all the different Belief contents could not all be right, so therefore it was not logical for me to just pick one and Believe. It's ok with me that people have their Beliefs which give them comfort, but I object when they start telling me that I ought to believe the same way and that I ought to live my life according to their beliefs.

But you are posting in the Depression Board not on the Religion Board. I Believe that depression can be caused by psychological or physical reasons. Or a combination. Because I have a logical mind, I look for causes for my depression. Sometimes it's because I'm reacting emotionally to what life hands me -- let's face it, sometimes life uh, isn't so nice (I'm cleaning up my language here). A good friend and a warm family and therapy all help here -- and if the good friend and warm family are missing then the therapy is all the more important.

There are also physical reasons for depression. I have SAD (seasonal Affective Disorder). When the days get shorter and darker, I go into depression. When we lived in central California, it would last for about 3 months. I learned to set up my light therapy lamps and do exercises and aerobics in front of them. We've been living in northern Germany for the last 10 years, and my depression sets in earlier each year and lasts longer. Last fall (around September or so) I started getting depressed and it got deeper and deeper and I didn't come out of it until August of this year (it's been a uh, "not so nice" year in terms of sunlight). My logical mind eventually came into play when I realized that an emotional reaction to something in my family sent my physical depression into a tailspin and I was seriously considering suicide. I got a bit of therapy, took out my light therapy box and started taking St. John's Wort tea and juice (my does THAT stuff taste ghastly!). My husband installed unbelievably bright lights in my white kitchen, and it's the room I most love to be in. The days are now starting to be noticeably shorter and darker and I'm upping my St: John's Wort dosage (yuck!).

What I'm saying is that I cope with the unrelenting depression (and everything else in life) by looking for the causes for things. When I can't find causes, then I don't assume that there must therefore be Someone running things and that He or She has the world's best interests at heart. I assume that there are reasons and I just don't know them yet.

And please don't be apologetic about being a non-believer. You have as much right to your beliefs or non-beliefs as those with religion do. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Learning how to cope with and conquer your depression is more important than tip-toeing around the fact that you are a non-believer because you are afraid of offending them. You have love and morals and all those positive virtues just as much as someone who has a religion.

--Rheanna

Old 10-06-2005, 02:18 AM   #5
Inactive

s1980 HB User

Hi there,
I have never really been a believer in God, my family are not religious, my mother let us all make our own minds up about religion. Sometimes I find a little comfort from the thought that someone or something might be watching over us all, but I never think that is God, more somebody close who has passed on and that is merely just a way of dealing with death, that people who have died are somehow not totally gone from our lives.

Over the years life has given me so much that I could never have imagined.
I beat depression, I nearly didn't make it, at the time I had given up but somehow I got thru and since those days life has proved me wrong. A lot.
I thought the depression would never go away, it did - I thought that I would never feel better, I did - I never believed I would be able to rebuild my life, and that I would be able to live normally, I did - I never believed that I would meet that special somebody - I did....the list is endless....

That is what gets me thru, the fact that you just don't know what is coming next. Things often happen that you could never have predicted, today may be black but tomorrow, who knows ? You just have to hang on to find out.

all the best

Old 10-06-2005, 05:12 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1980
That is what gets me thru, the fact that you just don't know what is coming next. Things often happen that you could never have predicted, today may be black but tomorrow, who knows ? You just have to hang on to find out.
S1980,

I'm glad things turned around for you.

Thank you for pointing out that we lose our sense of perspective when we're deeply depressed. We forget that just because things are the pits right now, they probably (VERY probably) will be better tomorrow. I think this is a message that most religions are trying to give people. But we can remind ourselves and each other of the same message. Thanks for saying it again!

--Rheanna

Old 10-06-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
(male)

stilltrying HB User

I'm in AA which asks you to believe in a "higher power" in order to work the steps. I've always struggled with the god concept. I decided that I believe in physics and that since we all seem to contain some sort of electro-magnetic pulses that help animate our bodies and thoughts, that the idea of energy within everyone must be real. I think that the more people you have focused on a purpose, the more collective energy you will feel towards that purpose. That's probably part of the appeal of 12-step programs and worshipping in an organized fashion (like church or temple, for example). This is all a fancy way of saying that I feel like a support system is really the key. If there is any kind of god, I think the best way to experience that entity would be through other people. And if there isn't, I still think we're all connected in some way and the people you choose to put in your life can have a strong influence on your state of mind. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltrying
If there is any kind of god, I think the best way to experience that entity would be through other people. And if there isn't, I still think we're all connected in some way and the people you choose to put in your life can have a strong influence on your state of mind. Just my 2 cents.
stilltrying,

Wise words.

Years ago, I went to a couple of meetings of Adult Children of Alcoholics (if I remember the name correctly), which is one of the 12-step programs. I didn't feel comfortable continuing there because of the praying and "higher power" components. But I have to admit that the structure of the groups is meant to be supportive. A person who starts talking has the right to talk until they decide they're done. No interrupting by anyone else and no criticizing allowed. It was so lovely to be listened to. I'm glad you have found a group to give you support.

--Rheanna

Closed Thread