It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2005, 08:05 AM   #1

-Jellybean- HB User
cymbalta

my doctor prescribed cymbalta to me. To supress my appetite, and treat depression... anyone else try this???

Old 10-06-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
(female)

chrismom HB User
Re: cymbalta

I have taken it for 3 weeks now. It has suppressed my appetite and lifted my depression. I have heard negative about withdrawals though.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

I just started today - will let you know how it goes - I am very encouraged to hear it lifted the depression and suppressed the appetite - thanks very much!!
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 10-07-2005, 07:02 AM   #4

-Jellybean- HB User

I had my first dose yesterday. I am starting at 30mg.... boy do I feel like vomiting.. it's like my stomach is uneasy or something. I do fee like my appetite has been suppressed, which is good. Anyone else experience feeling like crap?? Does this go away after you get used to it???

Old 10-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

My doc told me to take it at bedtime- So I didn't notice and stomach upset....I also started at 30 mg....I dont' feel like eating everything I can find this morning - I hope that's real and keeps going....hope your stomach feels better - Mine is usually very sensitive so I wonder if you might call the pharmacist or doc and see about taking it at night???
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 10-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #6

-Jellybean- HB User

I'll have to look into that... I was reading online and people were saying that when they took it before bedtime, they couldn't go to sleep... so they took it in the morning and they were fine... Hmm... I guess everyone is different I am definatley not hungry... my doctor did tell me to take them with food... so I eat in the morning and then I wasn't hungry the rest of the day. When I started to feel sick, I had a little bit to eat even though I wasn't hungry and that made me feel a little better... then I layed down and fell asleep...lol...

Keep me posted on any symptoms you have... I just started mine yesterday as well...

Old 10-10-2005, 06:54 AM   #7

-Jellybean- HB User

The first 2 days were absolute HELL... I felt like such crap.... yesterday and today I feel much better... like I am not even taking anything... My mood did change in the first 2 days, but not it is back to the same....

I have been taking 30mg, so when I go on the 60mg in a few days hopefully things will change

Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Jellybean,
Ilm sorry you're having so much trouble with it... I'm taking mine at night and so far so good....I did have a litte trouble with nausea the fist afternoon - but no more since....also terrible dry mouth....are you sleeping ok? I take sleep meds - so far no real sleep disturbance - Ive noticed I'm noy craving carbs 24/7 and my mood is slighly better - but that is probably the hope that this will work...hope it will for you!
best wishes,
kathy

Old 10-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #9

-Jellybean- HB User

Hey Kathy

My sleep hasn't been disrupted too badly... I haven't been hungry either. I have definatley been eating a lot less. so that is a plus. I do sometimes feel like my jaw is very tense, almost like I have lock jaw or something lol. I have been felling better that last few days so that is also a plus... Thursday I switch to 60mg...

Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi Jellybean - my jaw did that on effexor - do you clench and grind your teeth at night? I do and I had a mouth guard made at the dentst to protect my teeth and it keeps headaches from the clenching away...I have also used the one you get the sports section at wal-mart....
Hope you do better!
Kathy

Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
(female)

julie39180 HB User

hello,
i have been on 60 mg of cymbalta for over 6 months. i lost 12 lbs. on it.... at first the side effects are not great but in about 2 weeks they get better,you have to give it time to get into ur system... except the sleeping... well it got better but i still wake up on and off all night to go to the bathroom... other than that the med. was worked great for me up into now. im starting to feel the anxiety again but i went to gyno. instead of really dr. and she says i have major pms (PMDD) NOT DEPRESSION. there is a difference.... i had been telling my regular dr. this for years and so she finally recommended me go to a gyno. so i did.. which took me into now to do it, 6 months later... i should have done it a long time ago but my fault, i started the cymbalta and everything had been going good until the last couple of months...
hope this helps.....

Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
(female)

chrismom HB User

Julie, Jellybean or Kathy -

Ive been watching these posts about Cymbalta since I've been taking it for a little over 3 weeks now. am at 30mg now and I feel pretty good. More energy, no PMS ( I too feel like I had PMDD) and definetely more positive outlook. My sleep is still not great unless I take a sleep med.

What about sexual side effects for you? I have heard it can make libido increase or go away completely. I feel like I have none on or off meds but most SSRI's increase my drive. I'm wondering if a higher dosage at 60mg would make this worse or better. Also I fear the poop out you speak of with it so soon. I feel like I'm on some kind of upper and am waiting for the effect to wear off. I never feel tired usually and prior to Cymbalta I was fatigued and tired all the time.

Any input from anyone would be great!

Old 10-11-2005, 08:06 AM   #13

-Jellybean- HB User

Sexual Side effects... Well... I have no sex drive either way, so I am a bad person to ask... I think I have a deeper problem there lol.... The first few days I was so mellow... just hangin out.. but now I went back to my normal self... I start the 60mg on Thursday so we will see how well that works out. My sleep has effected only for 2 nights... last night I was so tired.. I didn't want to get up this morning.... I do feel as if I have more energy during the day which is good. and I am not really hungry during the day... I do feel sick sometimes though, and when I eat something I feel better... I guess that means I should eat ...

Keep in touch!

Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

wxKathy2 HB User

Hi,
I take BCP so that kinda kills the drive too - like jellybean - no drive either way....I think my mood is lifting a little - hope my appetite will drop like your jellybean....with hypothyroid, it's so hard to lose weight....I used sleep aids so I am sleeping ok although it takes a lot to knock me out...
Wow no PMS! That would be wonderful...thanks for giving me hope!
What is the theraputic dose? My doc didn't say anything about raising it above 30 mg...but I'm kinda sensitive to ssris so I might not need more -
I am having trouble with blurred vision -- are any of you and did it pass?
Thanks!!
Best wishes,
Kathy

Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 AM   #15

-Jellybean- HB User

I am not having problems with blurred vision, but I am getting headaches.... Probaly because I am tired.Maybe soon the blurred vision will go away for you. Your body may be taking a bit yet to get used to the pills. I wonder if I will feel sick again when I up my does to 60mg... I guess I will soon find out.

Closed Thread