It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User
weight gain on antidepressants

Hello everyone. So I was on the Lexapro website and it said that weight gain is not a side effect. Infact that decreased appitite was a side effect. My doctor also said this to be true. So how come I read on this board that so many people gained weight while on it? Could it be just that you felt better and your appetite came back? What about Celexca? Has anyone used that one? Did you find and weight or sexual side effects? How severe? I am trying to find the right drug for me and I know I really just need to try and see what happens but I really would love some input.
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User
Re: weight gain on antidepressants

One reason people gain weight on medication is that your liver is so busy breaking down the medication you are taking, it does not have to properly break down the food (fat) you are consuming. So even if you don't eat any more than you used to, you will still gain some weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

E, I tried Celexa and it didnt work for me, then went to Lexapro and was on that for a few years ~ my doctor also said that it has a lower risk of weight gain, but I gained a ton of weight, I was always hungry! not sure why, but that's how I felt, sorry I know that doesn't help much

Old 10-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
(female)

gsouth HB User

E1979, Is lexapro a antidepressant? I'm trying to find one that I won't gain weight while I'm on it....I'm on zoloft now and I have gained alot of weight..

Old 10-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

gsouth ~ this is just my experience ~
lexapro and zoloft are the same type of antidepressant ~ they (like most of them) are SSRI's ~ they basically up your seratonin ~ Wellbutrin is different, its not an SSRI ~ I have been on WB over a month and I have not been hungry AT ALL ~ I have actually had to force myself to eat most days ~ which is not like me at all!!!! On lexapro I was hungry ALL the time and gained a lot of weight ~ and on WB I am losing weight

Old 10-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Hey campingirl72, I am on wellbutrin right now. But I have anxitey with my depression. Nervousness and anxiousness is a side effect of wellbutrin. Did you find you had that side effect? Does it go away? I know it says it is not for anxiety just depression, but has anyone had it help their anxiety?

Old 10-07-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

alsaser HB User

thats weird, i'm on zoloft (100 mg) and lost 5-10 lbs (same with my friend). i went on it yrs ago, lost weight. got off, gained weight and got back on after my depression returned and lost weight right away.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

E ~ I have anxiety too, but its hard for me to tell how well the Wellbutrin is working for me, cuz I just weaned off Lexapro too, plus have been on and off the pill, so I have been really really crabby and stressed the past week, so I dont know if that could be part of anxiety from WB or if its just the lex withdrawal and pill problems ~ I should be able to tell better in a couple weeks when I've been off lex longer and off the pill for awhile ~ I think why WB isnt supposed to help with anxiety is because its more of an upper, it kinda makes you more wired, where Lexapro and other ssri's are more calmers, you know?

Old 10-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

here's some info I found looking up Maca root........

Vitamin B6 has been known to reduce blood estrogen and increases progesterone. Therefore, B6 deficiency will cause decreased liver metabolism of estrogen, causing an excess of estrogen, this results in "estrogen dominance."

Estrogen imbalance effects mood swings by increasing the activity of the biogenic amines, epinephrine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels, which affect moods. Epinephrine triggers anxiety. Norepinephrine causes hostility and irritability. Serotonin at high levels creates nervous tension, and inability to concentrate.

Dopamine, produced by the brain, balances out the effects of the biogenic amines by inducing relaxation, increases mental alertness, and works to prevent sodium and water retention.

Without sufficient dopamine, the biogenic amines are not held in check, moods are greatly affected in a negative manner, and sodium and water retention increase.

Estrogen also increases the level of the adrenal hormone aldosterone, which prevents the normal excretion of salt from the kidneys, adding to fluid retention. This creates edema-like symptoms of bloating, abdominal swelling, and swollen breasts.

Excess fluid swells the nerve tissue and membranes surrounding the brain. The brain is encased within the skull, and can only expand as far as the skull permits. This leads to torturous migraine headaches that are often described as "vise-like."

Magnesium deficiency causes a very specific depletion of brain dopamine and B6 plays a synergistic role in mineral utilization across cell membranes, increasing the effectiveness of magnesium.

American women are so deficient in vitamin B6 that it was discovered back in the early 1940's. The process of refining flour eliminates the B vitamins altogether, B6 is destroyed in cooking and canning, and when foods are packaged. Pregnancy and birth-control pills also cause a B6 deficiency

Old 10-07-2005, 09:50 PM   #10
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
One reason people gain weight on medication is that your liver is so busy breaking down the medication you are taking, it does not have to properly break down the food (fat) you are consuming. So even if you don't eat any more than you used to, you will still gain some weight.
I totally agree with you SOE.

Antidepressants are VERY TOXIC to the liver. They cause UNCONTROLLED INCREASE OF FREE RADICALS. The only way to lose weight in this case is to suppress the cause of liver injury...

Old 10-08-2005, 03:59 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User

I think it depends on the person too. My best friend takes regular Paxil and she has gained alot of weight from it. I take Paxil cr and have lost a few pounds. I don' t know if it makes a difference that it's the controlled release or not.

I also didn't gain anything on Lexapro. It just wasn't the correct med for me.

deb

Old 10-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Campingirl72-what does all that mean exactly? I just find that I don't feel as good as I did on paxil. I think SSRI's are the ones that work best for me. Sometimes I just feel like giving up. This is so hard, almost too hard. I may just have to accept that I am going to have to live life heavier than I would like to be and make sure nobody shows me a picture of myself EVER!

Old 10-08-2005, 03:11 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

celexa- lost ten pounds in under a month
paxil - lost another twenty pounds in about two months
zyprexa with paxil - gained thirty pounds in two months
paxil and remeron- I think I am stabling off if anything have lost a bit

Old 10-08-2005, 03:43 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

trg247-What about sexual side effects with those? Did you experience those?

About the liver theory...if that is true and I am not saying it is not, how come some will cause weight gain and some wont?

Old 10-08-2005, 04:09 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

paxil sexual side effects are pretty severe, it has been a long time since I have even thought about sex. Celexa was not too bad but the other side effects were to strong so I switched to paxil

Closed Thread