It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User
So I'm getting some free lexapro samples....

should I try them without seeing a doctor first?

I ask because... well again I'm getting some. A co worker's mother works at the hospital and got some sample packs in and she doesn't take them.. and because of that, he said I could have them (he knows I deal with depression you see...)

Is this a bad idea?!?

Old 10-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User
Re: So I'm getting some free lexapro samples....

I saw your title and I thought "yaaaay, he got some free samples!!!" cuz I know you dont have insurance right now, so I was hoping you might be able to get some free samples!
Some might disagree with me, but I dont think it would be bad to try without seeing a doctor ~ my doctor didn't give me a physical or anything special before I tried AD's ~ I dont think you need to do any tests or anything before trying them (at least from my experience) Just give them a good month or so before deciding if they work for you or not ~ do you have enough samples to last a month? or if not can you get more? also when I 1st tried Lexapro I started on 10mg and that didn't do much for me, so my doctor upped it to 20mg and I started feeling a lot better ~ it just takes a few weeks and if you dont feel anything after that you might feel better on a higher dose ~ ???
good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Well honestly not sure how many samples there are, or how strong they are.
A buddy of mine (one of the few co workers I actually like hahaha) just mentioned it tonight and said he would try to bring them in Saturday.

I'm hoping it's at least a month's worth, or that I can get more if not, but I honestly don't know yet.

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 10-07-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 10:29 AM   #4
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Well he remembered to bring the samples to work

I've not had much time to look through them yet, but at first glance there looked to be a good seven or eight week supply of the 10 mg ones! Yay this calls for a blob fire, whatever the heck that is! (sounds like the name of a really bad Horror movie....)

Old 10-08-2005, 02:24 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

This is a really bad idea. What happens when you run out and can't get any more from a doctor? You go through withdrawal. Try researching what withdrawal is like on this board.

I don't think a responsible adult would go this route.

Old 10-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

I'm not planning on going through withdrawl... I have access to more when ever I want it (my aunt works at a mental health facility) I've just been too stubborn to get it checked out.

If it works then I'll go get more and find a way to pay out of pocket even if it means borrowing money from my dad (*a benefit of being blessed with cool parents!)... and if not.. well then I guess I might be going through withdrawl after all, but it's a risk I'm willing to take if it might help.

Edit:

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go through potiential withdrawl symptoms, but from my standpoint I've got nothing to lose.

I'm miserable as is and don't see my life getting any better without *something*, so might as well take a chance.

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 10-08-2005 at 03:34 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Random-

I think the concern about withdrawl is a valid one. Like Sickof said, punch in lexapro withdrawl in the search of this board and read some of it. You could definitely end up worse than where you started. I know myself, I had a total breakdown that I now think was caused ( a least partly ) by effexor withdrawl. And, to get more isn't just a money issue, remember you need a prescription to get them--if your Aunt can get that then you are probably okay as far as that goes. But please don't set youself up to end up going through the withdrawl.

I'm sorry, I know we haven't posted to each other before, so I don't know your reasons for not wanting to see a Doctor. A Doctor could listen to your symptoms and maybe pick the best anti-depressant that he thinks will work for you.That would be the best route to go. If you know FOR SURE you can get a script or more samples it might be worth a try. ( Like Camping Girl said, I'm sure most would disagree ) Just remember you will have to monitor yourself and make sure they are working for you.

Old 10-08-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

My reasons for not wanting to go see a Doctor?!?

no good reasons really. Sheer stubborness is one. The other is the fact that I just don't trust doctors.

After seeing them butcher my mom's stomach cancer treatments (gee Nancie it's just heartburn)

Two year later: "gee now it looks like Ovarian Cancer, let's start an agressive treatment for that"

six months later "Gee we were wrong and don't know what it is, let's send you to someone who might be better informed some three hundred miles away"

FINALLY the Doctor at The Siteman Cancer center in St. Louis realized what it was, but by then it was too late.

The ironic part? He found out within days, what a team of local Doctors couldn't find out in years.

That among other things have soured me about Doctors. Don't trust them one tiny little bit, not to mention I don't feel comfortable talking about my problems with friends and family... some stranger would that be multiplied by 20.

To clarify something my aunt is NOT a Doctor at this place, though she is a secretary and could get me in at any point in time to see one. From there I would have to get over my fear and general disdain of local Doctors and hope any self respecting one would be willing to fill a prescription for something that was doing me alot of good. (If not his or her license should be revoked right then and there.....)

Again if it's the opposite reaction, it's just something I'm going to have to deal with.... I've indeed read horror stories on here about withdrawl, BUT desperate times call for desperate measures and I know my body... if within a few weeks nothing is happening, I'll quit right then and there and hope for the best in terms of withdrawl symptoms.

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 10-08-2005 at 05:14 PM.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:25 PM   #9
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Hey, sorry, kind of sounds like I made you mad. I didn't mean to, was just offering my opinion and personal experience.
I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

No not at all

I'm sorry that I made it seem that way... was just trying to explain why I tend not to trust doctors and why I don't feel comfortable talking to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsey61
Hey, sorry, kind of sounds like I made you mad. I didn't mean to, was just offering my opinion and personal experience.
I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I think its worth a try! I dont think you should NOT try antidepressants because they might cause withdrawal symptoms if you end up going off them! if that was the case, then no one would ever try antidepressants because they might go off them at some point and experience some withdrawal symptoms ~ that's crazy! I know many people that have been helped dramatically by antidepressants! they are like totally different people with the help of this little pill! like you said, if they work for you and you feel better, then you can get more ~ either through your friend or aunt or if you have insurance at that point you can go to a doctor and tell them you got some free samples and they work great for you and you would like a prescription ~ and I bet any doctor would give you a prescription if it is helping you feel better!!
good luck!!!
btw, when I weaned off Lexapro, when I did it very slowly I felt fine

Closed Thread