It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
(male)

MyPlague HB User
Lethargic

I've had my issues with depression and anxiety for years.

Recently I've changed how I live my life. For a long time I drank my problems down, and alcohol is still in my life but in very small doses. But I started getting up early and running a few times a week, I started eating lots of healthy stuff. Broccoli, fruit, nuts, omega 3s, herbal teas etc...

I've been trying to do things to make my body happier, and for a bit it seemed to be working, but now it seems to all not matter at all.

I guess I'm not as depressed as I was, but I just can't seem to get any energy together to do anything. I have enough energy to run in the morning, but during the day if I'm not at work the only thing I seem to be able to do is sit around and yawn, or go to sleep.

It doesn't seem to matter how much I sleep. Every once in a while I'll have an ok day where I'm driven, but most days it's really bad.

I used to play my guitar for hours at a time...I used to go out and party with people all the time...and I'm only 21. For a long time I worked 70 hour work weeks while drinking pretty much every day. So I don't know if this is premature aging or what? I've had normalized hours for over a year now...and I still feel as tired as I did then.

I feel old and slow at 21. That can't be normal. It seems that getting up from the couch to start a load of laundry is a daunting task. Even taking a shower or brushing my teeth is hard to energy to do. I can barely play my guitar anymore because I just have absolutely no motivation to do anything.

I have big aspirations musically with my life, I expect alot out of myself but for some reason I seem to have absolutely no motivation to do any of the work to get there.

I will admit my life has gotten pretty lonerish for the last 2 years. All my "friends" abandoned me, left me stuck with huge bills (roommates) etc... and I really don't have any friends anymore. I never go out with anyone anymore...all I seem to do when I'm not at work is sit in my apartment by myself.

I don't know quite why I'm posting this. I guess I'm just looking for people that feel the same way, or some suggestions. I was so full of life at 18, and I feel so dead at 21 it's hard to believe I used to be that person. What happened to me?!?!?

It doesn't seem to matter what I do that's good for myself nowadays, it all goes for naught.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 03:03 AM   #2
(male)

Trying2B HB UserTrying2B HB User
Re: Lethargic

Hello my friend, You didn't mention if you are taking anything for this condition. I felt the same way, I had to push myself to work or to do anything for that matter. I lost all motivation to do anything, I would just sit in my house by myself and think about all the things I needed to do but I couldn't get myself to do them. I finally went to a psychiatrist and she put me on the meds. It's only been a couple of months but I am doing a lot better. Something you might want to consider. Take care and good luck to you

Old 10-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #3

ZFREEIN2003 HB User

You sound just like me. Although I never had trouble with depression, a few years ago I went through some serious stress-related trauma. As a result, from all of the stress, the chemicals in my brain changed and I went through the same thing that you are going through. My doc started me on Zoloft and I was doing very very well for a few years. Then I got it into my head that I was fine and didn't need them anymore. I am back where I started again, only thing time with weight issues as a result of becoming depressed again. I, too, used to drink heavily, but now, I may have two beers every now and then. I find I don't even want it anymore.

I have been evaluated by the mental health clinic and will be starting therapy and medication. Unfortunately, it is an almost 2 month wait for my appointment. My appt is on Oct 28th and I can't wait to start to regain my life back again. I'm just plodding through the days and I can't seem to get anything done. The house is a mess! Nothing interests me.

I do understand where you are coming from. Perhaps making an appt with a psychiatrist or your GP would be a step in the right direction.

Know that you are not alone.

Z

Old 10-11-2005, 06:00 AM   #4
Inactive

s1980 HB User

Hi there,
A couple of years ago I was really really tired. All the time. I found myself sleeping really long hours, I would then get up in the morning, feeling like I hadn't slept in years and go to work. The hours felt endless, I felt like I had a hangover even though I hadn't drank at all, my head felt like it weighed tons, I was irritable, short tempered, cranky, sensitive and of course, tired. Then I would go home, eat my dinner and go to bed. Sleep thru till morning and then do it all again. Repeat over a long period of time.

I went to the doctors at my Mother's suggestion, after explaining this she immediately diagnosed me as depressive - I had a lot of the symptoms. I was totally shocked. You see I had already been thru depression when I was younger - no doctor had diagnosed it then, but I knew what it was because I ended up in a hospital bed after trying to take my life. That was depression, the way I had felt then and what it drove me to, that was depression. But I had gotten better from that, I had survived that and gone on to rebuild my life, what I had now just felt like my body was slowing down and just couldn't keep up.

But she was right, I was struggling, suicide never crossed my mind but something was definitely wrong, this was not normal for a 22 year old and I was put on medication to help. It certainly did for a while.

It could well be that you are suffering from Depression, it sounds like some of your symptoms are similar to what I experienced and you already know that sitting at home isn't helping you at all. I think you must get checked out by a Doctor, there could well be some kind of physical complaint or indeed depression but you do need to get checked out. I hope that will shed light on what is happening to you.

all the best

Closed Thread