It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
(female)

Eostre HB User
Disconcerting side-effects

I've read that anti-depressants may cause increased suicidality in teenagers, and I'm growing concerned that that might actually been true. I haven't had any suicidal thoughts since starting on prozac and seroquel, but lately I've been subject to uncharacteristically violent images, dreams, and ideas. Also, last week I kept hearing sounds that weren't actually there. The violence I've been envisioning generally isn't literal, more often I seem to see people/things appearing membranous and fleshy, as if the skin's been removed, but I also occasionally imagine committing violent acts. I'm not in any way considering acting on those thoughts, I just can't seem to help picturing split seconds of violence whenever someone or something upsets me lately. I'm also finding myself frequently and without reason thinking about different violent ways to end my suffering, picturing myself doing it, even making little vows to myself that, when things become unbearable, I'll do it. I was at the beach the other day, and I found myself making a little promise to the sea that one day I'll come back and let it swallow me. The idea provided me with such comfort and joy, until I realized how scary it was and shook it off. I'm not at all suicidal. I'm rather fond of the world, and I don't intend on leaving it any time soon. So these thoughts are more than midly disconcerting.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Disconcerting side-effects

I read your post earlier today and was going to respond but I could not think of the right way to say it, now after some time I am going to give it a shot. Most AD's have the little black box warning that patients should be monitored closely for suicidal thoughts or self harm especially those under eighteen.

I have the same thoughts you have on a daily basis, someone cuts me off in traffic, or even someone giving me a funny look and the first thought that comes to mind is violence and anger. I have always had a bad temper but since starting the AD's it has been worse.

As for the hearing things that are not there, I also deal with this and people around me are use to me asking if they heard that, Ad's are powerful medication and they deal with the most delicate human organ so I guess common sense says some side effects are going to happen.

Talk to your doctor and see what he/she has to say sorry I could not be more helpful but at least you know your not alone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
(male)

rose_5-HT HB User
Re: Disconcerting side-effects

My experience has taught me that ADs but also any highly liver-toxic drugs will cause me to get violent and suicidal.

This is why I avoid drugs as much as possible and take magnesium against depression instead.

Closed Thread