It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 PM   #1
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User
Please read and give feedback...

As some of you know, I recently started taking "lexapro" Recently enough, that today was only the 2nd day.

My concern is as follows:

I got invited to a wine and spirits tasting on Wednesday Night. I'm planning on attending.

Should I simply forgo taking the lexapro that one day? Would one day really make that much of a difference? I'm nervous about drinking the same day I take it...

Not attending the tasting isn't an option. I'm also going to see a couple punk bands while out of town and the person I'm riding up there with is also attending the wine tasting. (my car's in no shape to make it.. and it wouldn't be fair for me to tell my buddy not to attend the tasting)

Thanks guys (and ladies) for your opinions on this matter.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Please read and give feedback...

even skipping a day, which is not a good idea, the AD you are taking would still be in your system. How alcohol will effect you is impossible to tell as everyones body chemistry is different. Would you be able to attend the event and not drink?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2005, 11:45 PM   #3

belize HB User

When I started Lexapro the 4th and the 5th days were the hardest because of side effects. I was just so tired and rummy....after ten days - there were no more side effects. It is not recomended that you drink alcohol with SSRI's though as a wine lover I discovered no problems with moderate amounts occasionally. Don't overdo! Drink lots of water as well.... I do not agree with skipping a day although you could not take Lex for this week and then start over next week.... since you have only been taking it for 2 days... Then avoid all alcohol for six weeks and just see if you can guage if the med itself is helping you. I was amazed at the improvement in my own outlook... good luck

Old 10-11-2005, 08:45 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

I have read your other posts -- you do not seem to take medication seriously. You cannot skip a day. You must take it every day, and if you don't want to take it anymore, you must taper off. Keep that in mind before you run out of those samples.

Use alcohol cautiously. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while taking Lexapro and/or increase your depression (who needs that?).

Also keep in mind that it generally takes 4 to 6 weeks before a medication takes full effect.

Last edited by SOE; 10-11-2005 at 08:55 AM.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #5
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

Sure I take it seriously.

Was it a risk starting it without talking to a doctor first? Sure... though life itself is one big risk. I compare it to big time poker player. There's risk involved, but the potiential reward... in this case happiness and a better self outlook is massive.

In terms of tapering off, I plan on playing it safe. If after 3 and a half weeks or so, nothing has happened.. then the other three and a half week supply will be used to taper off.

As for this tasting, If it comes down to it I just won't drink (though going to a wine and spirits tasting and NOT drinking sounds kinda boring and kinda defeats the purpose)

All I know for sure is this:

If I come to find out I can't drink at all, I'm going to have alot of work ahead of me when it comes to taking not only lexapro, but any medication.

I've already cut down to only drinking around once a month and even then not heavily... usually no more than three or four beers.. if that. I don't drink to get drunk, don't like hangovers and am well past the getting 'ripped' stage.

I drink because I *love* a well made import or micro brew beer, the same reason someone who appreciates a good world class wine.. or a good world class coffee would drink their product and if I had to give my beloved beer up... it would be very very hard for me.

Last edited by SomeRandomDude; 10-11-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User

Now I am absolutely NOT saying that you should drink but I have been on and off(more on) AD's for a handful of years and I have had the occassional evening when I had some drinks. I have never been a big drinker so some drinks for me is maybe 3-4. I don't drink beer it is usually mixed drinks. I have never had a bad reaction thus far. AGAIN I am not telling you go ahead and drink. Be very careful if you decide to partake in some tasting. Watch how you feel and any sign of something weird just stop. It is not worth it just for some alcohol.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomDude
In terms of tapering off, I plan on playing it safe. If after 3 and a half weeks or so, nothing has happened.. then the other three and a half week supply will be used to taper off.
As I said before, it can take up to 6 weeks for the medication to take full effect. You won't know anything for sure at 3-1/2 weeks.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

I think that's the most sensible advice I've heard on the subject.

It makes alot of sense.... I'll be sure to listen to my body. Believe me I wasn't planning on going overboard, as again I don't like to get drunk anyway.

That being said first sign of anything abnormal, or if I start to feel weird I'll stop right then and there.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

This I know and realize:

I'm hoping I can feel 'something' by then and if not, then I'm likely just not going to take a chance on it working and begin to taper off for better or worse.

If nothing else I think I would be able to get more before I run out... so that's another option.

I have easy access to a Doctor and assuming the stuff was working, I would think they would be willing to fill a prescription... if not their license should be revoked imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofeffexor
As I said before, it can take up to 6 weeks for the medication to take full effect. You won't know anything for sure at 3-1/2 weeks.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

Hi! I know several people who are on AD's and have the occasional few beers or drinks (including myself) and dont have any bad reaction from it ~ I'd just say since you just started Lex and aren't sure how the med is going to affect you, to just not go overboard, have a few drinks, not 20 drink slowly and if you start to feel awful, then stop ~ I think the main reason they recommend not drinking while on AD's is because alcohol is a depressant and that kind of defeats the purpose of the med ~ but if you just have a few beers here and there you should be just fine I wouldn't stop taking the Lex for a day, it does stay in your system for quite awhile anyway and it's better to keep the levels of it in you steady ~
have fun at the wine tasting!!

Old 10-11-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

SRD, how many mg are you taking? 10 or 20?
if you dont feel much after a few weeks you might also want to try upping the dose ~ that helped me a lot!!! I didn't feel anything noticeable on 10mg but felt a lot better on 20mg ~ just dont want you to give up on it if you dont feel anything at 1st

Old 10-11-2005, 08:55 PM   #12
(male)

SomeRandomDude HB User

I'm taking 10 currently.

The big day is almost upon me.

I'm still nervous about drinking.. as I'm a paranoid sort in general and have already decided I'm not drinking a thing at the club that the punk bands are playing at.... won't be easy for me as nothing goes with punk rock better than beer though I'll manage.

I am however planning on drinking a little at the tasting before going to the show.. especially since I'm not driving, just need to constantly remind myself not to over do it and to stop at the first sign of trouble.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

campingirl72 HB User

I hope you have lots of fun!!!
I think you'll be just fine
do you feel any sort of side effects at all since starting the Lex?
I know some people have some side effects at 1st and then they go away after being on it for a bit ~
I dont remember any side effects at all when starting, like I said, didn't feel much at all at 1st
Good Luck! let us know how it goes, k?

Closed Thread