It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
(female)

oceanair HB User
Lightbulb lithium, wellbutrinXL and paxil

This is my combo that is finally working for me. The lithium was added last to augment the other two. I have decreased the paxil because I think it is feeding my desire to eat. I just started WW and go to Curves.

The lithium really brought me out of the depression.

Last edited by oceanair; 10-11-2005 at 03:39 AM. Reason: mispelled word

Old 10-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

E1979 HB User
Re: lithium, wellbutrinXL and paxil

That is wonderful. Congratulations on finding a recepie that works for you. Just so you know it is the Paxil that is making you hungry all the time. Did it to me too. I am trying Celexa right now and still on the wellbutrin for now. I am not sure if my doctor will let me stay on both, maybe I wont need to. We'll see.
Erin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
(female)

oceanair HB User

I am weaning myself off paxil --from 3 to two.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:49 AM   #4
(female)

chrismom HB User

Hi

I read your thread and was wondering about the litium thing. I've always wondered if I need it. My father took it for many years for bipolar disorder and I have tried many SSRI's that don't seem to completely do the trick. I've heard about the mood stabilizers possibly helping.

I hate the weight gain side effect too. I haven't tried Celexa or Prozac, but Lexapro and Zoloft made me gain weight. I was on Paxil for 1 month and then got pregnant so weaned off. It had some sexual side effects that I didn't care for. I felt like it worked well though initially.

Do you know if lithium causes weight gain?

What about Celexa??? Anyone know?

I'm currently on Cymbalta and I can't really go up in dose because it is giving me anxiety terribly.

Any input would be great!

Thanks, Chris

Old 10-25-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
(female)

ritzylady77 HB User

Hi all,

Unfortunately, lithium does seem to cause significant weight gain, but then again, that is a side effect for most ADs. And also, because everyone is built differently, side effects are different for everyone. But in my experience (working with people who were prescribed lithium...) it has caused weight gain.

Lithium is usually given as a booster to ADs so that it levels you out better...kind of like boosting you to a higher level of wellness (is the best way that i can describe it)

I acutally had this conversation about Lithium with a co-worker of mine, who a while ago was diagnosed with situational depression, and she mentioned that the Lithium was prescribed to her to level her out and to help her to more clearly deal with the problems at hand. Her doc told her that she shouldn't go over a certain period of time to take it, and that she would know when it was time to wean off of it....and she did. I asked her how she knew...and she said, it just felt right...and she was ok after that. But her depression was easily dealt with after her problems were dealt with,....the situation that she was in was not a healthy one.
I don't want anyone to think that once they start to feel better that it is time to get off their meds....not at all...that can only be done by discussing it with a doctor and/or psychiatrist...everyone's situation is different.

Take care,

Closed Thread