It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #1
(female)

Viktorious HB User
Unhappy New Here

Hi,
I am new here. My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with severe situational depression in march 2005. Anyone else with a teen with depression?
Viktorious

Old 10-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User
Re: New Here

Hi, yes I'm sixteen too and have had depression for years now. It's a good thing she got diagnosed - a lot of parents don't want to accept depression as a reality, especially with teens where it can (and sometimes should be i admit) put down to hormones etc. Feel free to talk, ask questions etc, there's some younger people around but I'm sure the adults will relate as well.
xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM   #3
(female)

Viktorious HB User

Hi Flinch,
Nice to hear from you. My daughter, ( I'll call her Arianne), has been involved with a boy for about three years now. He is Bi-polar. That is probably what started Arianne's problems. It has gotten worse over the years. Can you say what has triggered your situation?
Viktorious

Old 10-12-2005, 11:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

I've bordered on the edge of it for almost as long as I can remember, just simply because of my environment (I've never been tested for a chemicla disorder) but mid spring last year two things happened right on top of each other which just shattered me and made it 100% worse. Your daughter must be very strong to handle a relationship like that - at the moment it's prpbably helping her. Do you know whether her depression is circumstantial (caused by events) or chemical (a chemical imbalance in the brain)?
xxx

Old 10-13-2005, 05:26 AM   #5
(female)

Viktorious HB User

Arianne's therapist has told me that Arianne probably has a predisposition to depression, because of others in our family that suffer also, but it is her relationship with the boy that is causing most of the trouble. He can be a wonderful,caring, funny guy part of the time, and he can also be very verbally, physically and emotionally abusive. He comes frome a very abusive and disfunctional home. His mother has many mental issues going on also. Arianne has had to deal with that whole family, as I have had to also. Arianne is very beautiful, but she has low self esteem. Her doctor says that she has been in this situation so long, and that it is damaging to her, and now she can no longer manufacture enough seratonin? to make her feel happy. So I guess to answer your question, it is both, one leading to the other. Arianne's boyfriend, (I'll call him P). What pushed Arianne over the edge, was P's mother freaked out and all of a sudden said that P could no longer see Arianne. She's a very erratic and irrational woman who does things for crazy reasons. After all she had been through over the last few years, Arianne just fell apart. P is very important to her.

Closed Thread