It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

rombobinee HB User
Any Positive Effexor Experiences?

Hi! I am new to this site ... been reading for a while, but decided to jump in.

I have been depressed my whole life. I finally started getting help about 5 years ago. I started taking Celexa, and it made me totally exhausted. I switched to Lexapro, and had a good bit of progress. The only side effect I had was lack of emotion (unable to cry). I also saw a therapist too, which was very important.

I still feel fairly numb. I talked to my Doc (he's been totally great) and he suggested we try another group of meds. He suggested Effexor. I read many of the postings about Effexor, and needless to say, I am scared to death to try it.

So, I was wondering ... has anyone had any positive experiences with Effexor?

Thanks in advance.
Reenie

Old 10-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Alex6657 HB User
Re: Any Positive Effexor Experiences?

Well, I have, but I'm on a fairly low dose (150mg) AND I take it in combination with Wellbutrin (300mg). One medication doesn't work on my depression, something my doctor and I both agree on. Effexor is a bit different from all other anti-depressants as it works on seretonin, dopemine and norepinephrine as you increase the dose. Most meds only work on one of those.

When I needed an increase in my meds my doctor and I both thought it best to up the Wellbutrin rather than Effexor because of the side effects Effexor can cause. Also, Effexor is very difficult to come off of and an increase now could cause me some serious problems in the future if I need to come off or change my meds.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I would say that you should be afraid of starting on Effexor. I'm not saying that to deter you, only to caution you. Do your research (a LOT of it) before you decide whether or not to go ahead; get a lot of opinions/experiences from people who are or have been on it; search the net; talk to your doctor. If you're afraid of it you'll want to know as much as you can about it and you won't be going into it with blinders on. In my opinion fear causes the best form of caution when it comes to making decisions about medications and there is nothing stupid about being cautious.

I'm sure you are aware if the possible side effects, and that most side effects go away or decrease after a few weeks on the med. From my experience and what I've read of other peoples' experiences I would have to say that Effexor is a bit different from other meds in this area also. My side effects have almost entirely gone away, but I do still experience a couple of them occasionally. The only one I have constantly is increased sweating, but I'm very happy to say it has decreased considerably since I started Effexor and it seems to be continuing to decrease (though not nearly as fast as I would like)...but I've been on Effexor for two years.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread