It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2005, 01:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Unhappy So sick and tired of being sick!!!!!

Hi all,

Okay, here's a short summary of my medical history to start things off......(big breath)....I have been positively diagnosed with depression, bpd, OCD, ADD, social anxiety, TMJ, IBS, hypothyroidism, chronic tendonitis in my wrists and knees, plantar fascitis, a back condition (abnormal curve), migraines, endometriosis, chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis, had my gallbladder out, a weak heart, and also deal with self-injury and suicidal tendencies on a regular basis......(sigh...done). The worst part of all of this is that I'm only 19!

I am taking Lexapro, Strattera, Levothyroxine, Errin, and take pain killers and muscle relaxers occasionally to deal with some of my physical pain.

Anyway, I recently have been dealing with a new illness and it is tearing me down...I could just really use some support. I'm getting so fed up with all of this illness. Anyway, I've had this strange sore in my throat for over three weeks with little change....my jaw and neck also hurt and there is swelling in my jaw. I've been so tired that I fall asleep even while sitting up! (Usually I have trouble sleeping...so really unusual for me!) I also have been coughing A LOT, and when I do it tastes like blood, but I don't actually see any...so it's probably just in my head...anyway. I'm just really tired of feeling so sick all of the time....I just wish I could be healthy.....

I just really need some help getting through this.....I'm really struggling to find happiness in this deep darkness.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #2
(male)

not Rich HB User
Re: So sick and tired of being sick!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel28
Hi all,

Okay, here's a short summary of my medical history to start things off......(big breath)....I have been positively diagnosed with depression, bpd, OCD, ADD, social anxiety, TMJ, IBS, hypothyroidism, chronic tendonitis in my wrists and knees, plantar fascitis, a back condition (abnormal curve), migraines, endometriosis, chronic sinusitis and allergic rhinitis, had my gallbladder out, a weak heart, and also deal with self-injury and suicidal tendencies on a regular basis......(sigh...done). The worst part of all of this is that I'm only 19!

I am taking Lexapro, Strattera, Levothyroxine, Errin, and take pain killers and muscle relaxers occasionally to deal with some of my physical pain.

Anyway, I recently have been dealing with a new illness and it is tearing me down...I could just really use some support. I'm getting so fed up with all of this illness. Anyway, I've had this strange sore in my throat for over three weeks with little change....my jaw and neck also hurt and there is swelling in my jaw. I've been so tired that I fall asleep even while sitting up! (Usually I have trouble sleeping...so really unusual for me!) I also have been coughing A LOT, and when I do it tastes like blood, but I don't actually see any...so it's probably just in my head...anyway. I'm just really tired of feeling so sick all of the time....I just wish I could be healthy.....

I just really need some help getting through this.....I'm really struggling to find happiness in this deep darkness.....
Most of those conditions are related. BPD, depression, OCD, ADD, social anxiety, TMJ, migraines, rhinitis/sinusitis and thyroiditis are probably one and the same. All can be a product of brain function and in cases such as yours, separating them into separate disorders isn't that useful. Not sure what specifically is wrong with you, but I'm sure you don't really have all those conditions as distinct entities. I think they're all related to some basic disorder you have and your hope might be in dealing with whatever that is. It may be anxiety/depression/conversion disorder/some other illness which is having a wide range of effects on you.

One good start is to ask - has it always been that way? If not, something caused it. The cause will point you in the direction of the solution. If it's always been that way, then you must be some freak of nature in some way, as babies with all those conditions are as rare as inexistent.

Old 10-16-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by not Rich
Most of those conditions are related. BPD, depression, OCD, ADD, social anxiety, TMJ, migraines, rhinitis/sinusitis and thyroiditis are probably one and the same.
I don't know about all of the conditions, but TMJ is a physical condition with several known causes. I have TMJ due to a physical injury to my jaw. It is not related to my depression. If it were, it would be to both jaws and not one side -- and one side would not have aged 20 years faster than the non-affected side. And it would have started long before my injury.

Many people become depressed due to their medical conditions -- it's human nature.

It is possible for DarkAngel28 to have all of these conditions and not necessarily have all of them related to the depression.

Just something to keep in mind...

Old 10-16-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
(female)

MarciaD HB User

Hi Darkangel

Have you been to the Dr. for your throat? I hope you're not just using OTC medication. The swelling in your jaw and the neck pain sounds like something you should see your Dr. about.

I also have clinical depression, social anxiety issues, migraines, moderate scoliosis, a thyroid condition, bouts with IBS, oral surgery to help correct TMJ and still wear a bite splint about 50% of the time, severe endometriosis which eventually resulted in undergoing a complete hysterectomy, and the next gall bladder attack will be my last as that's when that will be removed. Some of these conditions are indeed related, but that doesn't make them any less painful or worrisome.
Take care of yourself and with proper treatment you can look forward to better days.
Please let us know how you are doing.
Hugs and warm wishes are coming your way.
Marcia

Old 10-16-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
(female)

kayte04 HB User

Okay, I don't post very often, but seeing this bothers me. The post from NotRich is basically the old "it's all in your head" line, at least that's what I got from it. As someone who also deals with multiple chronic medical problems (depression/bipolar, BPD, self-injury, neurally mediated hypotension, fibromyalgia, arthritis, 5 TMJ surgeries and still have pain due to a recent car wreck, IBS, migraines, and chronic pain of unknown origin) being told that it's all related to depression is not acceptable. I have had dr's tell me this and it sent me off the deep end. My pain is actually more tolerable when I'm depressed because I just don't even feel like messing with it so I just take a pill and stay in bed. But when the depression is lifting and the pain is getting worse, something is wrong. For 6 years I had fainting spells/seizures and no one could figure out why, even after 2 trips to Mayo. I had a dr diagnosis it as conversion disorder and refused to treat me or refer me anymore and then a few months later found out I had a rare heart/blood pressure problem. I'm sure there are some people who make up problems or exaggerate them or have conversion disorder, but that doesn't mean that everyone who has depression and chronic medical problems is that way. Maybe I misinterpretted this post and I'm too sensitive to the situation, I don't know. I do know that MOST people who go through chronic medical problems experience depression, but a person who is already sensitive to depression it will probably get worse.
DarkAngel - please don't let this take control of you. Find support groups for any conditions you can (check with your local hospitals). Don't be afraid to continue to bug your dr when you don't feel well and demand a referral if necessary.

getting off my soap box now...

Old 10-17-2005, 01:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

First,

I'm sorry for those who go through what I do...I know the pain it is...physical ailments cause depression, and sometimes vice versa, but usually each one can be separated apart.

As for my TMJ, it resulted from an injury to my head....ouch! bpd, ocd, anxiety and depression are all categorized with bpd, but not everyone is specifically familiar with it, so breaking it down is helpful to let people know...which that was all most likely caused by a past abusive relationship.

As far as being told that all of my medical conditions are related to depression....that isn't true. SOME are related, but most have been properly diagnosed by a doctor through bloodwork, x-rays, and various other tests...I don't make them up.

My newest problem is the only one that hasn't been diagnosed yet, and I'm just frustrated after being sick for so long! I just really need some support as this illness is wearing me down. I just need some support....that is all.

As far as the post left by you Not Rich, I don't mind, that is simply your opinion and you have the right to it...I just don't agree with it myself, but thanks for sharing your opinion.

Thanks all for your response, I go back to the doc on Monday to see what's going on with me.... I hope we can figure this out soon!!!!!!

-Angel

Closed Thread