It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 06:06 PM   #1
(female)

Pesh HB User
About Cymbalta...

I just started taking Lexapro, and am nervous about gaining weight. I lost 20 pounds a year ago and have kept it off and am finally happy with how I look, and don't want to gain any weight back. I have definetely noticed that Lexapro had made me hungrier and I am getting nervous.

After reading on this board that Cymbalta is weight neutral or can make you lose weight, I thought about trying it. I did some more research and on a site where people reviewed medications, quite a few people said they gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time while on Cymbalta.

My question is...has anyone here actually gained weight on it? Has anyone lost weight on it? Thanks for your help!

Old 10-17-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
(female)

chrismom HB User
Re: About Cymbalta...

Pesh -

I've been on Cymbalta for about a month or so. So far I have lost a few pounds, but that has leveled off. Initially it suppressed my appetite. Still does so somewhat as compared to the LExapro for me. I craved sweets on the Lexapro and gained about 8lbs.

The Cymbalta makes me feel numb though. I'm on a low dose and can't sleep too well either. Some on this board don't have the sleep problem though.

Good Luck. Weren't you on Wellbutrin too? I think you posted on my thing about Prozac. Why did you want to add the Lexapro?

Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
(female)

Pesh HB User

I am on Wellbutrin and overall love it, but some things changed in my life that have really triggered a lot of anxiety and depression, so my Dr. gave me Lexapro in addition to the Wellbutrin. I like that Wellbutrin doesn't make you gain weight, and that is my biggest concern about Lexapro, and why I'm interested in Cymbalta.

Anyone else on Cymbalta want to share how it affected their weight?

Old 10-19-2005, 06:39 AM   #4
(female)

happykmbjjandm HB User

I gained close to 25lbs on lexapro (with a personal trainer and working out 5 days a week). I was not slacking off or anything like that . It was like my body was out of control I joined ww and did the personal trainer route and NOTHING would stop the lbs from going up.
I have been on CYmbalta for about 2 weeks now and have lost 5lbs.
I am still very active and try to watch my diet. Literally....every week my scale was climbing with lexapro regardless of how hard I worked. I was not just gaining but I looked puffy.

My husband is on lexapro and has not gained ANYTHING! He has been on it for like three years. So...it effects some...and doesnt effect others.
I am not as hungry on cymbalta!
Kel

Old 10-21-2005, 10:55 PM   #5
(female)

TonyaM HB User

Hey,
Cymbalta is actually prescribed to some as an appetite suppressant. Like many others I lost weight as well. I was on lexapro and gained over 20 pounds, went to cymbalta and lost the 20 and then some. I have a naturally ENORMOUS appetite, and have never been overweight, even with the 20 pounds, but I was starting to get chunky. The cymbalta is working wonders for me, I hope you give it a try. Also, I did have the sleep problem for about a week, then it went away when my doc said to set an alarm to take it at 7 in the morning since I would NEVER get up that early on my own. Good luck.

TonyaM

Old 10-22-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
(female)

happykmbjjandm HB User

I just weighed myself and I am down 6lbs. That is a huge step for me. I too gained the 20 plus and was getting a bit chunky.
I am so happy this is helping me mentally and losing the weight that added to depression!
YEAY!
Kelley

Closed Thread