It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 07:43 AM   #1

Nark HB User
dealing with friends...

I've been doing well the last year and while I really appreciate my friends being concerned, its like I can't vent to them about anything without them worrying that I'm having a relapse. I know the difference between me being upset about a certain situation and me just being down on everything. Like I said I know they mean the best but I don't plan to be suzy sunshine all the time to make them not worry (I'll be sick to my stomach haha). anyways anyone have any nice ways to say thanks but no thanks...I've tried a few times and my point just doesn't seem to be getting across. I'm glad they care but everytime I hear them say "I'm worried about you, are you sure you're ok" it just makes me double think all the progress I think I have made...any advice would be great. Thanks

Old 10-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User
Re: dealing with friends...

Hi there, I didn't want your post to go away, it's a tough question to answer but the issue's a common one. How about telling your friends honestly? I'm sure they won't be offended if you tell them you're not made of china. Say how much you appreciate it but that you do need breathing space. And let me know how things work out.
xxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2005, 09:54 PM   #3

Nark HB User

Thanks, actually had a great weekend with them where they gave me a hug after a hard day of work and then I had some alone time to deal and we went out and had a great time (and as a double bonus I stayed sober the whole night =0). So I think after seeing me in person and not just hearing me over the phone and on ***, they got a better idea that I was telling them the truth and not just trying to get them off my back. Thanks though I feel like I'm always on my own back and questioning if I'm jut upset or if I'm depressed and and so as much as I do need friends to vent to and give me feedback etc. I also don't want someone always telling me they're worried baout me in these situations because of my past. Thanks for the post though!!

Old 10-25-2005, 02:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

no problem, glad things worked out. sober all night as well good for you! Although in good company it can be just as fun as being drunk and you don't get the hangover!
I think when you start getting on your back you need to think to yourself "i amy be depressed, i may just be upset, but the issue is what can i do to feel better?" and work on that.
xxx

Closed Thread