It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

tertree HB User
New to Paxil

I started paxil a week ago yesturday, I have lost 5.5 lbs which is fine i needed it and a bit more, but im groggy alot, i take it in the evening so i can sleep most of it off but im still kinda groggy during the day. I also sometimes just feel out of sorts if that makes since, is this all normal? Last night i slept from 8:30 to 6 this morning. Im used to running on 6 hours of sleep a day so all this sleeping is new to me.
I can't say that im feeling better or worse just different.
I read about the side effects but would like first hand advice from anyone on paxil or just starting paxil.

Old 10-21-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

debill HB User
Re: New to Paxil

Hi Tertree,

I am taking Paxil..the controlled release kind. I have been on it since August. Most people gain weight on it but I have lost weight.

I had those same feelings in the beginning. I ended up having to take a nap during the day and sometimes felt really weird. Like zoned out or something. It took several weeks to work fully for me. One day I would feel almost my old self and then the next I would feel anxious and down again. Now I feel really good. My psych doctor told me the fatigue side effect is not as bad with the controlled release formula. That's why we opted for that one. I take mine in the morning.

Your side effects should improve as your body adjusts to the medication. I also had some weird headaches in the beginning. If your on it for a couple of weeks and the side effects don't ease up you might consider switching but give it some time.

I hope it works well for you..deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hi: I have been on Paxil for the last five months or so, the normal release as the other is not available in Canada, if I remember right I started at 20mg or so. The first few weeks you feel like your in the groggy zone for most of the day, my family doctor suggested I take it at night to sleep through the majority of it. I never slept well even with the sleep medication I take with it and still do. I lost a lot of weight while taking Paxil and the sleepling meds, close to twenty pounds or so.

Paxil is one of the more stronger sedating AD's, for some people it will kill your sex drive, the weird headaches will subside, but whatever you do do not miss a dose for the side effects can be brutal. I am currently on 50mg of Paxil plus a bunch of others and I can almost tell you the time of day it is when my next dose is due or close to it.

It will take between 4 to 6 weeks before you will know whether it is going to be effective or not

Last edited by trg247; 10-21-2005 at 07:38 PM.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
(female)

tertree HB User

thanks for the info i really appreciate it!

Closed Thread