It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

Brand New Me HB User
Does depression cause you to overeat?

Hello Everyone!

I'm brand new on here! Here is my "problem"! I have have depression. ( I love it so much! LOL!) Anyway, I seem to eat a ton of food for comfort! Does anyone else have this with depression? I'm not even hungry but I will sit down to do something and next thing I know I feel disgusting and the fridge is almost empty. I'm taking total accountability for my action but does anyone else have this? Is this related to depression? I guess my feelings of worthlessness have crept into my stomach. Ugghhh! I'm too ashamed to go out in the "open" with this. I'm not heavy I could stand to lose at least 15 lbs but I just don't think that anyone would understand. Please if you have this or even understand I'd love to hear from you! I can't stand myself with every incident of this. I am just filled with disgust at myself. Thank you for reading my post!

Old 10-22-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Does depression cause you to overeat?

one of the classic sympthoms of depression is either a gain or loss of appetite/weight

take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

duncanisfine HB User

I'd agree - depression can either make you over/under eat and unfortunately I tend to be overeating at the moment too - not helping my diabetes much! Try not to be too hard on yourself, it's not as though you're doing it on purpose. As you get your depression under control, either with counselling or meds, your eating should get a little better to.
x

Old 10-23-2005, 10:48 AM   #4
(male)

the end HB User

Im the same way, i over eat to deal with my depression and it makes me feel better for a short period but then the feelings of guilt and shame come. I am not terribly over weight yet, but i know i will be if i dont find a way to stop this pattern. Its basically a terrible cycle and one that i dont know how to change.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Yes, very much so! The reason is completely biochemical: in depression, the person has a deficit in the neurotransmitter serotonin, which regulates mood. Too little serotonin equals sadness. Usually, in an unconscious way to "self-medicate" oneself, a depressed person will binge on foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweets, because they contain a high amount of the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is also the precursor molecule for serotonin, so when it's ingested, it's taken through the blood-brain barrier and forms serotonin. So, even though you're unaware of it, overeating during depression is really a way that your body is trying to up your serotonin concentration to make you happier. God bless, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flinch HB User

Definitely depression does odd things to my appetite, I can go for weeks on end on next to nothing or I can want to eat all the time I'm not doing anything simply because it reminds me my body's still there and I'm not going to drift off. The odd thing is my weigh remains stable whatever I do, I'm not on meds but however I eat I don't seem to lose or gain weight.

Old 10-24-2005, 04:00 PM   #7
(female)

laurenma77 HB User

I have been dealing with depression for the past six months or so. Lately, I have turned to food for comfort. I will not even be hungry, and I will sit down and eat tons of food. Feelings of guilt and shame will then take place and the vicious cycle continues. I am not overweight, but I have been trying to diet and excercise to tone up. It seems the more I try to concentrate on what I am eating, the more I stray from eating right. Today, I started my day off eating according to my diet plan, but as soon as I found out I bounced a couple checks and behind on some bills, I just ate ravenously to cope. Thats a perfect example of the way I eat. I WISH I COULD STOP!!!! ITS RUINING ME!!!!

Old 10-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #8
(female)

jahq HB User

I Am New To Boards, But I Totally Relate To The Overeating. I Have Had Depression All Of My Adult Life And I Have Fought Overeatring For Years. My Weight Is 15-20 LBS More Than My Ideal Weight, But Right Now I Am Not ABLE TO MAKE MYSELF EXCERISE ,And That Really Helps Keep My Weight And Depression Better. If You Are Able To Excerise At Least 45 Minutes A Day, My Dr. Said That Would Help With Both Weight And Depression.HOPE This Helps
Jahq

Last edited by jahq; 10-26-2005 at 02:04 PM. Reason: SPELLING

Old 10-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
(female)

Brand New Me HB User

Hello Everyone,

Thank you so much for responding! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this! I really appreciate the information. Thanks again!

Old 10-26-2005, 06:51 PM   #10
(female)

attheendofmyrope HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinch
Definitely depression does odd things to my appetite, I can go for weeks on end on next to nothing or I can want to eat all the time I'm not doing anything simply because it reminds me my body's still there and I'm not going to drift off. The odd thing is my weigh remains stable whatever I do, I'm not on meds but however I eat I don't seem to lose or gain weight.
That's exactly what happens to me! I go several weeks where I eat only enough to stay alive, then next thing I know I'm binge eating. I keep gaining and losing the same 25 lbs. I never go below 195 no matter how hard I try and I never get above 220 (which is horrible I know) I'm 5' 7" and have a large frame body so 160 is my 'healthy' target weight but I"m afraid I will never see that number again.

Currently I'm at the low end of that at exactly 195 and just when I thought I might finally get below that number for the first time in years, here comes my extreme appetite again, especially late night comfort foods, terrible for the waistline!

Staci

Old 10-26-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
(female)

itzalluptome HB User

Brandnew...what a cool name! Gatsby described it so well! I used to be very slim and over the last two years I have gained about 25 pounds! Must be those cinnamon twists I am so in love with. Alot of times I find myself eating just in an effort to pep myself up somehow..like if I don't eat I may just go into a trance and disappear or something! I hate not being able to wear any of my former clothes. I have to stuff myself into clothes like I am a sausage!
I have started a new dose of Rx and hopefully I will feel peppier and then I want to start a walking regime....care to join me??
Celeste

Old 10-27-2005, 03:30 AM   #12

scubadiver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
Yes, very much so! The reason is completely biochemical: in depression, the person has a deficit in the neurotransmitter serotonin, which regulates mood. Too little serotonin equals sadness. Usually, in an unconscious way to "self-medicate" oneself, a depressed person will binge on foods rich in complex carbohydrates, such as sweets, because they contain a high amount of the amino acid tryptophan. Tryptophan is also the precursor molecule for serotonin, so when it's ingested, it's taken through the blood-brain barrier and forms serotonin. So, even though you're unaware of it, overeating during depression is really a way that your body is trying to up your serotonin concentration to make you happier. God bless, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
I am a newby here and have suffered from depression. A couple of years ago I was in a job where I could had use of a nice dining room. Because of the depression I put on a ton of weight. I was comfort eating because I was eating so many desserts.

I never looked at it that way so it is a great response and has opened my eyes.

Scuba

PS I am a newbie here.

Closed Thread