It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2005, 03:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User
Wellbutrin vs Cymbalta

I am currently taking Wellbutrin XL and have recently heard of the drug, Cymbalta. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Cymbalta?
I have been on 300mg of Wellbutrin for the past month and the only effect it has had on me is that I am more "even keal" right now. I am still feeling depressed and have a lack of interest in things. The PA at my doctor's office raised my dosage 2 days ago to 450mg. Yesterday was my first day at this new dosage and I felt WORSE!!! Is this possible....to feel worse before feeling better? How long will it take for me to know if Wellbutrin is working for me??
If this drug does not work for me, I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences with Cymbalta.....the good, bad & the ugly.
I just want to feel good again and enjoy life.

Old 12-24-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

Mag311 HB User
Re: Wellbutrin vs Cymbalta

Lisa-
I too was on Wellbutrin and I was switched to Cymbalta. I love it! I call it my wonder drug. The reason why I switched over was because I have chronic pain with a neck injury I had in the past. So, the cymbalta treats the pain and my depression which is wonderful. I have been pain free for 5 days....and that has never happened in the past 4 years for me. So, I love the drug! However, I have only been on it for a week now. So, I haven't felt what the drug can do for depression b/c that takes a little longer to start working. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #3
(female)

spriggy HB User

They are completely different drugs; Wellbutrin targets dopamine.. Cymbalta hits seratonin and norepiphrine.

If Wellbutrin makes you anxious and irritable- Cymbalta would be a better choice.

The only up side to Wellbutrin is it is supposed to be a sort of appetite surpressant. Cymbalta tends to be weight neutral; although some people lose weight on it and some people gain weight. It's pretty half and half.

Old 01-02-2006, 02:48 AM   #4
(female)

zak7 HB User

Out of all the AD's I have tried so far - Lexapro, WB and Cymbalta, I like Cymbalta the best.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #5
(female)

Frozen Girl HB User

Like the others, Cymbalta has worked pretty well for me so far. I've been on it since May or June, and the only side effect I've noticed is that I seem to have more difficulty concentrating towoards the end of the evening. My doctor says that it could be the norepinepherine wearing off at the end of the day, but I'm the first person who has mentioned that to him. I was on Effexor before this, so compared to the side effects from that "wonder drug", Cymbalta is wonderful.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:12 PM   #6
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User
Angry Re: Wellbutrin vs Cymbalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz5
I am currently taking Wellbutrin XL and have recently heard of the drug, Cymbalta. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Cymbalta?
I have been on 300mg of Wellbutrin for the past month and the only effect it has had on me is that I am more "even keal" right now. I am still feeling depressed and have a lack of interest in things. The PA at my doctor's office raised my dosage 2 days ago to 450mg. Yesterday was my first day at this new dosage and I felt WORSE!!! Is this possible....to feel worse before feeling better? How long will it take for me to know if Wellbutrin is working for me??
If this drug does not work for me, I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences with Cymbalta.....the good, bad & the ugly.
I just want to feel good again and enjoy life.
(((Roz5)))

My doctor added Wellbutrin XL to my 100mg of Zoloft that I had been on for years, and it made me so jittery, agitated, and restless that I had to come off of it after 8 days. It also made my throat feel constricted after eating or chewing gum.

Yes, unfortunately one feels worse before better a lot of the times. Hence, 5 weeks ago my doctor increase my Zoloft to 150mg and my anxiety went through the roof around the second week of the increase. I did not take the extra dosage yesterday and felt much better, but today, I tried it again and felt increased anxiety again.

I am also into my 2nd week of Buspar to treat GAD.

Take care,
Aaron

Old 01-02-2006, 07:25 PM   #7
(female)

chrismom HB User

My vote's for Cymbalta. I've been on it for about 3 months or so and it is by far the most effective antidepressant I've taken. I am on a low dose (20mg) at higher doses I have anxiety/irritability. It seems to be Ok at this dose. I've tried many others and none as effective for my depression.

Good luck.

Chris

Old 01-03-2006, 02:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

I am weaning off the Wellbutrin and will be completely off by Friday. I am to the point of just accepting the fact that perhaps this is "as good as it's going to get". Cymbalta does sound like the med for me.....should I dare to try one again. Wellbutrin me so agitated that I couldn't stand myself!
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-05-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
(female)

1 girl HB User

Does Cymbalta have sexual side effects? Welbutrin has not for me and I was hoping that would be true for cymbalta.

Old 01-06-2006, 02:28 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Well, I came off of Wellbutrin without any problems (except for headaches). Currently, I am without any AD's. My gyn prefers to work on adjusting my hormone medications first.....one thing at a time. Here's hoping I can find some happy relief sometime soon!

Closed Thread