It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 04:00 AM   #1
(female)

Cariabu HB User
Question Safe Natural Remedies for Anger or Depression??

Hi everyone,
Can you please let me know what is out there that really does help with natural herbs or methods, to cure depression, anger or anxiety.. something that calms you? My biggest problem and reason I use to take anti-Depressants was for calming my personality so I wouldn't get so angry so quickly and irritable, especially when PMSing or when pregnant from hormones. But because I am trying to conceive again I am off of them and hope to stay off of Prozac or other prescription pills. Is there something naturally that does this other than Valium or Prozac etc.? And is Safe, especially if pregnant or trying to get pregnant?

Please share.
Thank you
Cari

Old 12-30-2005, 05:04 PM   #2
(female)

Rianna HB User
Re: Safe Natural Remedies for Anger or Depression??

I might be able to help with this. I used a very safe and very recognized supplement in respected medical journals called SAM-e. I took it for three years and was depression free, and I have suffered chronic moderate to at times severe depression my whole life. I took 400mg once a day - about 45 minutes before a meal. This supplement is an amino acid that our bodies produce naturally, but can decline as we age. You can purchase it at any drug, health food, or grocery store. I always bought Nature Made brand, and did not have any side effects. You can go to the SAM-e dot com website to look at more information on it, and it will tell you all the published medical journals it has appeared in. Make sure to check with your Doctor before taking any supplement or herbal remedy for depression. If they have not heard about SAM-e, there is info for them right on the SAM-e website, that they can ********. It has been used with great success in Europe since the 1970's for depression and was just introduced in the States in the early 1990's, which may be why many people have not heard of it.

Another Herbal supplement is St. Johns Wort, and this has also appeared in many scientific studies as a natural remedy for moderate depression. Also Omega-3 (Cod Liver oil, fish oil supplements, Flax Seed oil, Walnuts) are also very good remedies for depression. I take a teaspoon every night of Carlsons Cod Liver oil, (Lemon Flavored - pleasant taste) with dinner, and I feel that has been helping. Another Herb is called Holy Basil which can be bought at your health food store, this is an Indian Herb and has been used for centuries for anxiety, and depression. Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Cariabu, please look into omega 3 fish oils if you plan to get pregnant. Pregnant women lose half of their essential fatty acids to the developing fetus. If they do not increase the amount of fish during pregnancy and nursing, post partum depression occurs. Fatty acids are crucial to brain development up to the toddler age, and crucial all our lives to keep IQ high and the mind stable. The brain is 60% fat and consists largely of EPA, DHA, and lauric acid. The EPA and DHA are most abundant in fatty fish like wild salmon, sardines, and mackerel or omega 3 fish oil capsules. The best source of lauric acid is unrefined virgin coconut oil. If you are vegetarian, you could try omega 3 from flax oil capsules or ground flax on your cereal, but keep in mind the best source is from fish oil. Omega 3 oils are EPA, DHA, and ALA. ALA is in flax and it converts in the body to EPA/DHA, but takes a long time to do so and their are numerous studies done on fish oil proving its effectiveness, but none done on flax oil so far. If you eat nuts, whole grains, mayonaise, or salad dressing regularly, you will NOT need extra omega 6 or omega 9. Supplements containing omega 3-6-9 is a common mistake and leads to mood disorders because we must have a ratio of 3:1 approx. between omega 6 and 3, but most people eat so many foods rich in omega 6 & 9 that their ratio is way off at 20:1 in favour of omega 6.

Various things can balance hormones including maca root, bee pollen in raw honey, wild yam, and colostrum, among others at the health store. Aerobic excercise, even if it's just running on the spot, help induce calmess, and valerian root, camomile tea, rooibos tea and cutting out all sources of caffeine. Caffeine is the worst thing for stress. It depletes minerals from the body.
-Calcium magnesium supplements help induce calm and
-epsom salt baths will help get more magnesium into the body which makes some people calmer.
-Evening primrose oil is another essential fat that induces calmness.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #4
(female)

Susannah HB User

Someone mentioned Holy Basil. I would research that one more if you are trying to get pregnant, because I read one site that said it "encourages bleeding", and said not to use it if you are pregnant or are trying to get pregnant. It didn't have anything more than just that statement, though, so I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it is definitely something you'll want to look into more.

Closed Thread