It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 05:12 AM   #1
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User
Post Flax Seed Oil and Depression

Hey there,

I had a thought yesterday after having my dosage of zoloft increased after 10 years. My anxiety has been through the roof at times and I have restarted taking the anti-anxiety Buspar.

When I started to fall back into depression in October, after resigning for my job, I was having problems with sinuses and could not find out what was wrong. My doctor said that I did not have a sinus infection (which I eventually did) and I thought that I had allergies to dust and mold for 10 year. (Beconase, Nasalcrom during those 10 years). Well I had allergy testing done and I am not allergy to either dust (or mites) or mold. I thought that I was having allergies to MSG products and stopped taking my Flax Seed Oil (Omega 3) 1000mg with juice (caplet was too big to swallow so I open it up).

Well, I had been taking flax seed oil for years to reduce my cholesterol +
and it did. I did some research on online yesterday and found that Flax Seed Oil is also a good mood lifter and may assist anti-drepessants in working by it's benefits on neurotransmitters.

I started it back yesterday and will now be taking 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg in the evening. The container said that 3 times a day is best but I will just use it 2 times a day for now.

I truly believe that it's what been missing from my diet (helpful item), the last 3 months. It works!

Anyone else use it and have comments?

Last edited by ZoloftMan; 01-01-2006 at 05:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
(female)

glamaz0n HB User
Re: Flax Seed Oil and Depression

I am not a nutritionist, but I do know that flax seed oil contains omega-3 fatty acid which (anecdotally) is the helpful ingredient in mood lifting. I used to take flax seed itself, just as an add-on to cereal, salad, and was told at the time that it is better than the oil. The seeds also provide a lot of fiber. Don't know why I stopped, exactly, just that the health food store was kind of inconveniently located and one day I just didn't restock.

Now I am taking the fish oil capsules that have been recommended on this and other sites. Same omega-3 fatty acid but it has other stuff too.

I want to try 5HTP - I don't really know what that is but people have said it helps and I am sure the GNC person will tell me. Or I can just google it. I am also not sure if that works with prescription meds.

[googles 5-HTP...]

Oh...that's right, it's tryptophan.

Last edited by glamaz0n; 01-01-2006 at 05:48 AM.

Old 01-01-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamaz0n
I am not a nutritionist, but I do know that flax seed oil contains omega-3 fatty acid which (anecdotally) is the helpful ingredient in mood lifting. I used to take flax seed itself, just as an add-on to cereal, salad, and was told at the time that it is better than the oil. The seeds also provide a lot of fiber. Don't know why I stopped, exactly, just that the health food store was kind of inconveniently located and one day I just didn't restock.

Now I am taking the fish oil capsules that have been recommended on this and other sites. Same omega-3 fatty acid but it has other stuff too.

I want to try 5HTP - I don't really know what that is but people have said it helps and I am sure the GNC person will tell me. Or I can just google it. I am also not sure if that works with prescription meds.

[googles 5-HTP...]

Oh...that's right, it's tryptophan.
(((glamaz0n)))

Thank you. The reason that I started taking Flax Seed Oil, due to high cholesterol, was because it contains the omega-3 fatty acids that I was missing.

My understanding is that the body cannot digest the actual flax seed and that they will just past through the body. One should ground them.

I use the GNC gel pills and bite the tip to drain into water or juice.

I am not sure about 5-THP and will stick with my zoloft, buspar and Omega-3 oils.

Zoloftman

Old 01-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User
Lightbulb Re: Flax Seed Oil and Depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoloftMan
(((glamaz0n)))

Thank you. The reason that I started taking Flax Seed Oil, due to high cholesterol, was because it contains the omega-3 fatty acids that I was missing.

My understanding is that the body cannot digest the actual flax seed and that they will just past through the body. One should ground them.

I use the GNC gel pills and bite the tip to drain into water or juice.

I am not sure about 5-THP and will stick with my zoloft, buspar and Omega-3 oils.

Zoloftman

Oh, what AD medications are you taking with your flax seeds?

Old 01-01-2006, 06:46 AM   #5
(female)

glamaz0n HB User

Wellbutrin SR and generic Xanax (really inexpensive) as a sleep aid at night. The WB is working really well (finally) and I also exercise for at least an hour every day, using natural ADs as well!

Last edited by glamaz0n; 01-01-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Thanks for the info. I also take restoril at night and during the day as need for anxiety until the Buspar kicks in totally.

I tried Wellbutrin XL but it made me so agitated that I had to quit after 8 days. That when my doctor upped me to 150mg of zoloft, 5 weeks ago today. The extra 50mg has being giving me so much anxiety....

When the doctor gave me Buspar, He said that he wanted to lower the Zoloft back to 100mg, but I said that I would remain at the 150mg. Maybe I should have done soon. It just seem too powerful for me at 150mg, especially since I am now 20lbs lighter due to no appetite for a while. I was overweight anyway.

How long did it take your Welbutrin to kick in?

Thanks,
Zoloftman

Old 01-01-2006, 08:16 AM   #7
(female)

glamaz0n HB User

Zoloftman, it took about four months! Yes, four months, not four weeks! I was ready to quit, but then I started coming out of the abyss. Backtracking, right before I became REALLY depressed, my husband and I had moved across the country to an area much less upscale and more rural than what I was used to. It's a beautiful area, but moving here was an immense culture shock as well as a big surprise to my system. I have moved all my life and always welcomed the change but this time it sucked for a while. The only consolations were that I loved our new house and we made a big profit on selling our house in our previous location. Anyway what I'm getting at is maybe the WB never worked and I just became more accepting and started acclimating to our new location. Whatever, I feel tons better.

Like many, I have also tried Lexapro, which was a big relief in the beginning but later made me feel numb and sleepy. And it stopped working.

I don't see myself as a long-term AD user but I think I will always need the Xanax or something similar as I don't see the sleep problems ever going away. Just what's left over from a sucky childhood.

Old 01-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
(female)

Rianna HB User
Smile Re: Flax Seed Oil and Depression

I used to take Flax Seed oil, and it helped with the depression a little. I then spoke to a friend who swears by Carlson's Cod Liver oil (Lemon Flavored - pleasant taste). It also had Vitamin D in it, which is essential in the winter months where there is less sunlight. He said he takes a teaspoon every night, and I have been taking it now for two months, and have noticed a positive change and less depression, moodiness and irritability. I also suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) in the fall and winter months, and have started to feel much better since being on the Cod Liver oil. It is recommended to take the oil instead of capsules, as it enters your bloodstream faster. I find it is helping much more than the Flaxseed oil. The Cod liver oil (Cod liver oil in the winter months, and fish liver oil in the summer months) is better because it contains more EPA and DHA as well as vitamin D.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

You may be getting better results from the fish oil because of the make up of essential fatty acids. Flax oil contains ALA, the omega fatty acid that converts to EPA & DHA in our body. But it is slow to convert, whereas EPA & DHA comes direct from the fish oil. We are talking a lot about EPA from fish oil for depression over on the Alternative Medicine board. Taking Omega+ Joy helped me taper off Wellbutrin with only slight withdrawal and works better than the meds did.

Old 01-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
You may be getting better results from the fish oil because of the make up of essential fatty acids. Flax oil contains ALA, the omega fatty acid that converts to EPA & DHA in our body. But it is slow to convert, whereas EPA & DHA comes direct from the fish oil. We are talking a lot about EPA from fish oil for depression over on the Alternative Medicine board. Taking Omega+ Joy helped me taper off Wellbutrin with only slight withdrawal and works better than the meds did.
(((Gort)))

Thank you, I just picked up some fish oil from GNC (tested for mecury and such). The Flax Seed Oil did increase my good cholesterol while taking it. So, I should still be able to get the same benefit from Fish Oil?

Thanks,
Zoloftman

Old 01-02-2006, 04:13 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

gort HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoloftMan
(((Gort)))

Thank you, I just picked up some fish oil from GNC (tested for mecury and such). The Flax Seed Oil did increase my good cholesterol while taking it. So, I should still be able to get the same benefit from Fish Oil?

Thanks,
Zoloftman
Yes I think so. Don't know if you saw my response to your other query on Alt. Meds board, but basically, here's the scoop.

Fish oil in the right formulation of EPA will treat major depression better than flax oil, and as good or better than most antidepressants without the side effects. It also helps social anxiety. But the fish oil capsules need to contain 1000mg of EPA and little to no DHA. Most capsules on the market only have a few hundred mg of EPA, even though it is 1000mg of fish oil. The depression studies used capsules that contained 1000mg of ethyl EPA, removing other constituents except that fatty acid. This is where the confusion about dosage has occured. 1000mg of fish oil does not mean 1000mg of EPA. It is not on the market as such. But you can come close to pure EPA with a product called Omega +Joy by Genuine Health. That's the company that makes all the Greens + products. Omega + Joy has 500mg of EPA and little (25mg) DHA. It's probably difficult to remove all the DHA. You take 2 caps /day for the same amount used in the studies.

DHA is not a bad fatty acid. It helps Attention Deficit. It's just that researchers wanted to know which fatty acid had the best antidepressant effect, so DHA was used by itself in one group, EPA by itself was used in another group. The DHA group had no change in mood--proving it to be a dud. EPA by itself had significant improvement, and the two together had only minor improvements.

The other big revelation was that higher amounts of EPA did no better. 1000mg of EPA was the exact amount that had the most mood lifting abilities. Larger amounts (5000mg and up) were used in Bi-polar patients and found to help during their depressive phase.

Hope that helps with the confusing labels.

Old 01-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #12
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
Yes I think so. Don't know if you saw my response to your other query on Alt. Meds board, but basically, here's the scoop.

Fish oil in the right formulation of EPA will treat major depression better than flax oil, and as good or better than most antidepressants without the side effects. It also helps social anxiety. But the fish oil capsules need to contain 1000mg of EPA and little to no DHA. Most capsules on the market only have a few hundred mg of EPA, even though it is 1000mg of fish oil. The depression studies used capsules that contained 1000mg of ethyl EPA, removing other constituents except that fatty acid. This is where the confusion about dosage has occured. 1000mg of fish oil does not mean 1000mg of EPA. It is not on the market as such. But you can come close to pure EPA with a product called Omega +Joy by Genuine Health. That's the company that makes all the Greens + products. Omega + Joy has 500mg of EPA and little (25mg) DHA. It's probably difficult to remove all the DHA. You take 2 caps /day for the same amount used in the studies.

DHA is not a bad fatty acid. It helps Attention Deficit. It's just that researchers wanted to know which fatty acid had the best antidepressant effect, so DHA was used by itself in one group, EPA by itself was used in another group. The DHA group had no change in mood--proving it to be a dud. EPA by itself had significant improvement, and the two together had only minor improvements.

The other big revelation was that higher amounts of EPA did no better. 1000mg of EPA was the exact amount that had the most mood lifting abilities. Larger amounts (5000mg and up) were used in Bi-polar patients and found to help during their depressive phase.

Hope that helps with the confusing labels.
Thanks Gort.

I will keep the board posted on my progress.

Zoloftman

Old 01-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
(female)

chrismom HB User

zoloftman,

I was just reading the thread. It originally sparked my interest because of the Omega3 aspect. I have read many things about the benefits of it in depression (at high doses).

I noticed that you are taking Buspar. I asked my Dr if I could take that for anxiety because I don't like the sedating effects of Xanax. Because of the way it works chemically, I feel that it is a better fit for me. I have depression with irritability and the Buspar may help. I take Cymbalta which greatly helps my depression but makes me more irritable/anxious. I can't find much on Buspar, as if not many people take it anymore. I read it's pretty effective once it takes effect. Many people report dizziness from it. Did you have this side effect? If so, did it go away?

Also, how much do you take. My doctor was not clear on the dosage and I've never taken something that has to be taken more than once a day so it's confusing for me.

Your help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 01-03-2006, 04:16 AM   #14
(male)

ZoloftMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismom
zoloftman,

I was just reading the thread. It originally sparked my interest because of the Omega3 aspect. I have read many things about the benefits of it in depression (at high doses).

I noticed that you are taking Buspar. I asked my Dr if I could take that for anxiety because I don't like the sedating effects of Xanax. Because of the way it works chemically, I feel that it is a better fit for me. I have depression with irritability and the Buspar may help. I take Cymbalta which greatly helps my depression but makes me more irritable/anxious. I can't find much on Buspar, as if not many people take it anymore. I read it's pretty effective once it takes effect. Many people report dizziness from it. Did you have this side effect? If so, did it go away?

Also, how much do you take. My doctor was not clear on the dosage and I've never taken something that has to be taken more than once a day so it's confusing for me.

Your help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
(((Chris)))

Buspar does have some side effects of dizziness and tiredness but it does subside. It takes a few weeks to get the full effect and you may need to take it at bedtime if it makes you too drowsy initially. My doctor has give me 7.5mg of Restirol to help with anxiety until it kicks in.

I am taking Buspar 5mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon.

Good luck with trying it.

Regards,
Zoloftman

Old 01-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

dinney HB User

I am learning alot from all the threads regarding flax seed oil/depression. About a month ago I was on prozac, HATED the side effects so went to our health food store and bought omega 3-6-9 which has flax seed in it. I am off the prozac and doing pretty well most of the time. Also am on low dosage of alpraxolem for anxiety and to help me sleep. I'm all for natural drugs when it helps.

Closed Thread