It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

kinsey61 HB User
Cymbalta or Zoloft ????

Hi everyone

I know I have posted to a few of you, I have kind of beeen going through finding the right "recipe" for my anxiety/depression for about a year now.
I recently weaned off of cymbalta, and am now on 200 mg zoloft only. ( was taking both, but I was getting better and it was time to cut down and get off at least one of them.)

My doctor and I chose the cymbalta because it was the more complicated of the two, effecting both seratonin and norepinefrine [ As I understood it, anyway, is this right?] Also, I was having some sexual side effects that weren't present when I was taking only zoloft. [ but this was a year and 1/2, orr so ago, and a slightly lower dose.] Of course, those side effects could have been from taking BOTH the Cymbalta AND the Zoloft at the same time.

Now that I am on only the zoloft, I can feel the missing cymbalta. I think it helped with some chronic pain, and now I am reading where it is supposed to be one of the drugs with less sexual side effects. [ Sexual side effects improved only slightly, and I think it was from some other herbal rememdies, not quitting the cymbalta ] So maybe it was taking BOTH at the same timethat caused those side effects?

Anyway, as the side effects are somewhat better, but not completely, I am thinking maybe I would do better to cut down on ( weaning of course ) the zoloft and go back on the cymbalta, the goal being to eventually be on only the cymbalta. Although, if I were on cymbalta and even a low dose [ like 50 mg ]of zoloft, I don't think that would be too bad...

Weaning from the cymbalta was a long process, so I don't want to do this lightly. I realize that I am at the top of the zoloft dosage, and as you tend to need more to have the same effect, if I feel worse down the road, there is no where to go BUT to another AD.

Anyone with any experience or advice would be appreciated. And, I am hoping to hear form you Jackie,[ don't think I told you this plan ] and Roz too!

Again, any advice is appreciated-
-Kinsey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #2
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User
Re: Cymbalta or Zoloft ????

I personally have my biases towards Zoloft. I have used the both of them. I'm also a little skeptical of the claims that cymbalta and effexor are better medications because they effect two neurotransmitters instead of one. But, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would prefer Cymbalta. If that worked better for you, i would definately go back.

good luck

Old 01-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Thanks for your response Prof

I have been on effexor also, and it was a disaster. I know, they are the same components, and at first my doctor was amazed that the cymbalta worked for me [ it was prescribed by another coctor, a phychiatrist I saw short term. I like to stick with my GP, he knows me so well.] but he ended up finding this with other patients as well.

I am leaning toward the cymbalta, I want to see what response I get here, and of course, discuss it with my doc.
Thanks again for the response-
-Kinsey

Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

chrismom HB User

Hi Kinsey,

I can only tell you from my personal experience with Cymbalta and Zoloft and this could be different for you.

Zoloft did very little for me. Actually, I kind of felt like I was taking a placebo if I recall. Cymbalta has been the most effective antidepressant for me, HOWEVER, at therapeutic doses it makes me extremely agitated, moody, intolerant feeling. I take like 1/3 of the max dose of 60mg. It seems to be working OK at this rate for like 2 months now.

It probably has been the worst sexual side effectswise for me. I have heard that it can help with sex drive though. I feel "nothing" sexually, am actually kind of turned off to the thought.

I started Buspar last week to help with some of the anxiety/agitation from the Cymbalta because I don't want to have to stop taking what has helped the most with my depression. My doc said this "may" help with sex drive but it takes 3-4 weeks to kick in.

Unfortunately, I think with these meds its trial and error individually because they all work so differently for everyone.

Also, regarding Wellbutrin, which I know you were on for a bit. I was on it by itself and it REALLY HELPED my sex drive. I couldn't handle the anxiety from it though. I was wondering how it might work in conjunction with an SSRI and I guess you had experience with that and it didn't help for sexual side effects.

Hope this helped some.

Chris

Old 01-07-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
(female)

TonyaM HB User

Hi,
I STRONGLY recommend cybalta. Somone stated that zoloft seemed like a placebo pill to them and thats how it was for me too, i felt like it did nothing. I have had increased sexual desire with cymbalta just a little bit too. Also, someone mentioned effexor being a total disaster for them while cymbalta worked and thats exactly how it worked for me. I have severe anxiety as well, which has gotten a little better but I am still looking for a med to help with it. I tried adavain and it caused even more anxiety and severe anger. Please reply.

Tonya

Old 01-07-2006, 07:58 PM   #6
(female)

chrismom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyaM
Hi,
I STRONGLY recommend cybalta. Somone stated that zoloft seemed like a placebo pill to them and thats how it was for me too, i felt like it did nothing. I have had increased sexual desire with cymbalta just a little bit too. Also, someone mentioned effexor being a total disaster for them while cymbalta worked and thats exactly how it worked for me. I have severe anxiety as well, which has gotten a little better but I am still looking for a med to help with it. I tried adavain and it caused even more anxiety and severe anger. Please reply.

Tonya
Hi Tonya,

Seems we have "Cymbalta" in common. How long have you been on it? What dose? Do you notice some agitation at higher doses? I'm trying Buspar for the anxiety/agitation. It won't work for another 2-3 weeks though if it does at all. For now, Cymbalta has been the most effective for my depression too.

Glad you are having luck in the sexual area. Not for me with Cymbalta. I heard this could be true though with this med.

Feel free to reply.

Chris

Old 01-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #7
(female)

LushStars HB User

I was on Cymbalta for about a month. I never felt any better. I felt more anxious and jittery. I'm on zoloft now and I really like it. I have no side effects, unless my sleepiness is caused from it. It was worse on cymbalta, I was falling asleep in my car in the middle of the day. It didn't help me with energy at all.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:11 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsey61
Weaning from the cymbalta was a long process, so I don't want to do this lightly. I realize that I am at the top of the zoloft dosage, and as you tend to need more to have the same effect, if I feel worse down the road, there is no where to go BUT to another AD.

-Kinsey
I believe you may be, at 200 mg. at the top of the published Zoloft dose but I have a friend who is at 300 mg., and know of someone else who was told she could go to 400 mg. if needed.

I still find that Zoloft works for me when I need it, at the same dose or less, since I first took it 10+ years ago. ...no increasing need thing, here anyway.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:45 AM   #9
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it and hope iwill get a little more too.
-K

Old 01-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
(female)

Rianna HB User

Hi,

I had a terrible experience with Cymbalta, so much, that I was hospitalized for worsening of depression back in September. I also had really bad flushing and sweating from it, and it made me feel so tired and just plain old bad.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
(female)

TonyaM HB User

Chris,
I am on 120 mg of cymbalta which I am told is the maximum dose, and I may feel some agitation although I am not sure because I believe my anxiety makes me really hyperactive anyhow. Let me know how your new med is working.

TonyaM

Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #12
(female)

kinsey61 HB User

Cymbalta or Zoloft?

Thank you all for you replies, anyone else have 2 or 3 cents?

Closed Thread