It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
(male)

jabba jabba HB User
Question serotonin=numb?

does anyone know if the higher the serotonin=the less emotion you feel??? is that why ssri's make ppl feel numb? its just ive been on all the ssri's and the problems im trying to sort out are lack of motivation, lack of energy, lack of interest in anything, i cant enjoy myself, im dead inside, im very untalketive and just always feel like a zombie in genral and i havnt cried for years, could it be that the higher serotonin just makes all this worse? and should i give up my citalopram?

Old 01-08-2006, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: serotonin=numb?

No- high levels of serotonin are supposed to make you happy and full of joy, the opposite of depression...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
(male)

jabba jabba HB User

but serotonin levels are naturaly really low when we fall in love, im confused!

Old 01-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Picali HB User

Don't know about the serotonin/love thing, but serotonin makes you happy - that's the reason ssri's can make people manic as they get too happy. Sounds to me like your anti-d isn't working. How long have you been on it? You may need a higher dose, or it may need more time to work (they always say 6 to 8 week minimum). I've always had a problem with ssri's and found the older type of anti-depressants worked better for me. You really need to speak to your doc about this and try and sort it out.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
(male)

jabba jabba HB User

i think my ssri is working well as i feel numb, i think thats why people complain about apathy, you would think the higher the serotonin the better but im thinking maybe it makes you care less about things and thats the whole point. i think it takes away emotion. ill talk about this with a doctor when i can as i think im right,
and im not sure if low serotonin means depression

Old 01-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba jabba
does anyone know if the higher the serotonin=the less emotion you feel??? is that why ssri's make ppl feel numb? its just ive been on all the ssri's and the problems im trying to sort out are lack of motivation, lack of energy, lack of interest in anything, i cant enjoy myself, im dead inside, im very untalketive and just always feel like a zombie in genral and i havnt cried for years, could it be that the higher serotonin just makes all this worse? and should i give up my citalopram?
Talk to your prescribing doctor about it. There is some emotional numbness, at least I had it with one med when my kid was a little one. I felt like a Stepford Wife or something kinda brain dead. Things that would normally make me feel angry would just float by. It felt a little like I was robbed of my emotional barometer that let me know when I felt people were taking advantage of me (moms--it's a job hazzard).

However, that all said, once I'd been on the meds for 9+ months I was able to go off them and feel better consistently, and also have my emotions again.

hth some

Old 01-08-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
I don't know if you are right, but it certainly seems logical.

Old 01-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
(female)

Countrygirl1 HB User

All I know is that when my dosage of Zoloft was at max, I began feeling like a zombie. At that time, I was referred to psychiatirst. He changed me to Effexor XR. I know that this thread is not about medicine. Yet, I thought this might be helpful

Old 01-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
(male)

jabba jabba HB User

thanks for all the replys (so far) ive decided to opt for higher nuradrenaline/dopamine rather than serotonin, i believe the goverment just want us to feel well enough to function but not especialy happy, thats why we get perscribed drugs for serotonin (my opinion). i mean whats the best feeling in the world? falling in love for the first time? what happens is nuradrenaline & dopamine go up really high while serotonin goes really low! im still pretty shocked, its like i uncoverd a secret or something!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

The reason why serotonin levels fall right after a new relationship begins is because of obsessive tendencies. This is why your new infatuation is literally all that you can think about. As a long-time sufferer of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, I know all about how low serotonin causes obsessiveness! lol! Oh, and low serotonin has long been linked to depression- that's why depression is the most common comorbid disorder with OCD. (I'm not depressed, though.) That's why people who have Seasonal Affective Disorder binge on carbohydrates to self-medicate, because carbs contain high levels of the amino acid tryptophan, the precursor molecule to serotonin. And if you want to focus more on norepinephrine and dopamine levels, ask your doctor if you can take an atypical anti-depressant like Wellbutrin. They're a form of tricyclics, and work on all three neurotransmitters, unlike SSRI's, which only target serotonin.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 01-09-2006 at 07:47 AM.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #11
(male)

jabba jabba HB User

thats very interesting, i would like to be obsessed with something a little to give me a break from the opposite of obsession, if that makes any sense, i dont think i was ever close to ocd before i ever started ssri's, all i can remember is being obsessed with a band and i really miss having something like that, i just cant enjoy myself ever and it could be too much serotonin. hmmm ive heard that wellbutrin isnt so good despite its main effect on dopamine
thanks for the reply!

Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 PM   #12
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
thats very interesting, i would like to be obsessed with something a little to give me a break from the opposite of obsession, if that makes any sense, i dont think i was ever close to ocd before i ever started ssri's, all i can remember is being obsessed with a band and i really miss having something like that, i just cant enjoy myself ever and it could be too much serotonin. hmmm ive heard that wellbutrin isnt so good despite its main effect on dopamine
thanks for the reply!
I would say try going off the Citalopram and see if you can feel the way you want to feel. I've never heard of someone being unable to fall in love because they were taking Celexa. As far as the government goes with serotonin type antidepressants, I think Prozac and similar drugs have a much better side effect profile and are safe in overdose. If the tricyclic antidepressants were as safe as the SSRI's they would probably be used just as much.

Old 01-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #13
(male)

jabba jabba HB User

yes im not going to take my med tonight and i think it takes 2 weeks to leave the system and im hoping to feel like im reborn or something after them 2 weeks, the last time i came off efexor i had a quick withdrawel and i felt like ive came back to reality and all my senses came back then i went on another ssri straight away so that didnt last long

Old 01-12-2006, 08:06 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

SOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB UserSOE HB User

Quote:
yes im not going to take my med tonight and i think it takes 2 weeks to leave the system and im hoping to feel like im reborn or something after them 2 weeks, the last time i came off efexor i had a quick withdrawel and i felt like ive came back to reality and all my senses came back then i went on another ssri straight away so that didnt last long

Don't forget to taper off. Don't quit cold turkey.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 PM   #15
(male)

jabba jabba HB User

thanks, i did quit cold turky and so far so good, life just feels really weird at the mo, im not sure if its the withdrawal symptoms but ive been having terrible anxiety and confusion and i just dont know where i am

Last edited by jabba jabba; 01-20-2006 at 05:02 AM.

Closed Thread