It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
What time of day do you recommend taking Lexapro?

I don't want to get over tired from Lexapro so I wonder if I should take it at night. My doctor told me to take it in the morning when I take my Wellbutrin XL. The Wellbutrin has been keeping me up at night so he said this would help that but if I take it in the morning wouldn't it make me sleepy during the day then.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

razz123 HB User
Re: What time of day do you recommend taking Lexapro?

I would recommend morning.

I started out taking it in the evening. However, in the first week I was getting headaches, nausea and even panic attacks after taking Lexapro which often kept me awake at night (Doctor said those side effects were expected early on with Lexapro).

I switched to taking it in the morning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

So basically I am in for a rough week. I fully expected that though. I felt sick the first week I took Wellbutrin XL also.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Kari, I was on Lexapro and I tried mornings and evenings, but found taking it in the morning worked best for me too. At night, it tended to make me nauseated and therefore I couldn't sleep. The first week or so that I was on it, I felt like I was on speed! That leveled off after a few weeks and I felt normal. I got off of it back in August and switched to Wellbutrin XL because of the sexual side affects I was having from it. I actually wanted to try taking both, but my GYN wouldn't do combination therapy so I just switched to WB.

However - I really don't feel nearly as well on that as I did Lexapro. I felt calm all the time on it, and on the WB only - I get nervous and agitated quite a bit. I have some Lexapro left (about three months worth) and had been contemplating taking maybe 5mg along with my 300 MG of WB. I'm like you - I find it hard to sleep at night, it takes me along time to get to sleep.

Can I ask why you are adding the Lexapro to your WB? And how much your doctor is having you to take? I am curious what the recommended dosage is.

Thanks,

Jackie

Old 01-11-2006, 06:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari, I forgot to address another of your questions. You asked if taking the Lex in the morning would make you sleepy, but I don't believe it will because the Wellbutrin XL will balance you out and keep that from happening.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejmb
Kari, I was on Lexapro and I tried mornings and evenings, but found taking it in the morning worked best for me too. At night, it tended to make me nauseated and therefore I couldn't sleep. The first week or so that I was on it, I felt like I was on speed! That leveled off after a few weeks and I felt normal. I got off of it back in August and switched to Wellbutrin XL because of the sexual side affects I was having from it. I actually wanted to try taking both, but my GYN wouldn't do combination therapy so I just switched to WB.

However - I really don't feel nearly as well on that as I did Lexapro. I felt calm all the time on it, and on the WB only - I get nervous and agitated quite a bit. I have some Lexapro left (about three months worth) and had been contemplating taking maybe 5mg along with my 300 MG of WB. I'm like you - I find it hard to sleep at night, it takes me along time to get to sleep.

Can I ask why you are adding the Lexapro to your WB? And how much your doctor is having you to take? I am curious what the recommended dosage is.

Thanks,

Jackie

I did express concern to my doctor about the possible sexual side effects of Lexapro and he said taking it with Wellbutrin would counteract that so we'll see if it works for me that way.

I told the doctor that I was having trouble sleeping and he said it could be because it can increase anxiety and that Lexapro is anti-anxiety and that would help me sleep. He tried to get me to take something along with the Wellbutrin when I first went in there claiming it can cause anxiety and I said no I wanted to try just the Wellbutrin and he was right. It's not really noticeable anxiety but I just can't sleep. I am on 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL 1x day and 10 mg of Lexapro 1x day. He was going to up my dosage of Wellbutrin but since I was going to add Lexapro he said to stay at 150mg.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari, I think 150mg of the Wellbutrin with 10mg of Lexapro should be a good mix for you. And, the WB is supposed to keep you from having the sexual side affects, which is why I wanted to add that to my Lexapro, but my GYN said I'd have to go to a Psych to get that, and I really didn't want to. I usually could sleep ok when I was on 150mg of the WB, but I just didn't feel quite as well on it.

I do think I am going to try the 5mg of Lex with it and see if it helps and helps with the irritability. Alot of mornings I wake up really irritable and everything makes me mad. I don't like that at all!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well good luck hopefully it helps. I suppose if it does and you want to continue then you would have to go to the psych. My gyno has tried to talk me into going to one twice but has never denied me any medication. He just said it usually works better to get counseling and take medication. I'm like you I just don't want to go to therapy really. I would feel weird telling a total stranger my problems and feelings. Plus I don't really know what I would say. It just seems awkward. I am also a very private person and the thought of telling them personal things about my feelings just doesn't thrill me. I have tons of excuses. My doctor today in response to my excuses said I wouldn't have to tell the counselor anything I didn't want to. I have to go back in three weeks to the gyno so he can see how it's going with the Lexapro. I just know he's going to be bringing up the counseling thing again.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maybe your doctor feels you have issues in your life that is contributing to your depression and is just being concerned for your wellbeing. I got really depressed because I am in menopause and women tend to get wacko with their emotions during that time - depression, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. Lexapro worked really well for my anxiety and depression.

If you don't feel that you have problems that you are having trouble dealing with on your own, I don't see where you would need therapy. But, if you do have them, I think therapy is a good idea. My husband went through a bad depression about 10 years ago and had issues he needed to work though, and it really helped him to talk to a therapist. I don't even know what they talked about, to be honest. I don't think I would have a problem taking to someone if I needed to, but then I am a very open person. Every person is different. Don't let him push you into it, if you really don't think you need it though. Maybe the Lexapro/WB mix will be just the ticket for you.

Since your doctor told you to take the WB and Lex together in the mornings, I think that's what I am going to try too. I am glad I saw your post!

Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I may need counseling but I just really would rather not go. I guess what caused me to become more depressed was my back injury about 9 months ago. I hurt my lower spine and had a disc compressing my main nerve that runs down the leg and I could not walk for a certain amount of time the pain was so severe. I had spinal surgery and am doing better now but I pretty much have to live the rest of my life being careful. So it's been hard because it's a lifestyle change and a lot of the things I used to do before that made me happy and relieved tension I can no longer do. If I did I would be risking reinjury. So I supposed counseling would help someone deal with those issues but it would be nice if this medication would work and I didn't have to go and dredge up all kinds of feelings. I am pretty open with my husband and tell him everything I think and feel but talking to a stranger just doesn't thrill me. Anyway I took the Lexapro a few minutes ago. Now I sit and wait to feel weird. I felt sick within about two hours when I started taking Wellbutrin.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari, I can identify what you are going through because my husband had back injuries and now has degenerative disc disease and has been on disability for about three years and was trying to get it for three years before that. As a result, he has been depressed also, and really doesn't get out of the house much. At the pain clinic he goes to, they do have a therapist that people see, although my husband doesn't see him, but alot of people do. It is a rough thing to deal with.

I do hope the Lexapro added to the WB helps you alot. There is nothing worse than feeling depressed. Hopefully the Lexapro won't make you sick, I found taking it in the mornings didn't make me nauseated like taking it at night did. Well, I bit the bullet and added 5mg of the Lex this morning. Hope its enough to smooth out the rough edges!

Old 01-12-2006, 07:15 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I am betting the 5 mg Lex will work good for you in compination with Wellbutrin. You did already have a good experience with the Lex before so you know it works for you. How it works with Wellbutrin I guess we'll both find out.

Yeah I havn't worked in the last about 7 months because of my back. I did go back to work after my surgery but my job was sitting the entire time and it just hurt too much and I decided it wasn't worth it to sit in pain every day. If I can get up whenever I want and lay down whenever I want I do pretty well but kind of hard to find a job like that. I am now having another problem with a different part of my back in just this last 1 1/2 weeks. I suspect it's a disc because the pain is lasting so long. Normally a sore muscle goes away in a few days. So that hasn't been helping my mood either. It hurts to do dishes to walk on my treadmill pretty much about everything. I do know how your husband feels. I just am trying to be hopeful that the pain will go away. The pain however is not near as severe as when I had my other disc problem so that's one good thing. So sitting around and not being able to work is pretty boring and depressing also.

Well it's only been an hour and so far I don't feel sick or anything. I did eat a pretty big meal before taking it so maybe that helps too.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Jackie,
I don't know for sure but I think the Leprexo is helping my back pain. I was noticing that my back does not hurt near as much as it did this morning and then I read the seratonin blocks pain. I don't know if seratonin levels can already be higher but it seems to be doing something. So far so good. I did feel nauseated for about 3 hours but that is already gone. Hope it's going well for you.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari, Oh, I hope the Lex does help your back pain! I know that Cymbalta is for depression and pain, they prescribe that alot for people that have both. That would be wonderful if the Lexapro helps your pain!

Ok, I did take 5mg of the Lex with my WB this morning, and Kari, I feel like I am going to come out of my skin! I feel like I am on super speed and need to come down off of it! I don't know if I can handle this or not!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Has it been very long since you started the Wellbutrin? I know when I first started it I did feel like I was on speed. It was the second day I took it I felt just like you describe and then the next day the feeling was completely gone. It was a horrible feeling. Maybe because you just started the Wellbutrin not that long ago and your body hasn't adjusted and then adding Lexapro to that makes it even more intense. It probably will go away but if it's too much to handle then maybe you shouldn't take them together.

Closed Thread