It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Does Prozac make you tired and other side effects?

I am on Wellbutron XL 4 weeks and Lexapro since Thursday right now. I am so tired from the Lexapro I can hardly think straight today. If this continues I am going to talk to my doctor about switching. I'll be going in to see him in two weeks. So maybe it'll subside by then not sure. Anyway does prozac make you tired like this? He tried to talk me into taking that with Wellbutrin but I said no. Now I wonder if I should have tried that instead. Also what are the other side effects from Prozac?

Old 01-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Does Prozac make you tired and other side effects?

Well I was just reading the other posts about Prozac and it can make you really tired too at first. So I guess I should stick it out with the Lexapro and see if this side effect goes away. I hear it will.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #3
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari7171
Well I was just reading the other posts about Prozac and it can make you really tired too at first. So I guess I should stick it out with the Lexapro and see if this side effect goes away. I hear it will.
Hi Kari171,
Even if you find an antidepressant that works for you there is still the problem of insomnia. Many ssri's cause insomnia and then you might feel tired the next day. Prozac actually has the reputation for being the most activating (or stimulating) of all of the ssri's.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well suddenly today the tiredness lifted completely. Also so far the Lexapro has been helping me sleep. Probably because it made me so tired until today. I'll see how that part goes tonight. My doctor did give me Vistaril for sleeping at night but so far I haven't had to use it.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
(female)

karen82252 HB User
Talking Re: Does Prozac make you tired and other side effects?

Prozac always made me hyper. I took it 2 different times for 2 years each. I could not take it in the morning as the dr. said to do. It would keep me from sleeping at night. If I took it at night, I could sleep. I have a weird body. The dr. told me not to take it at night, but that is the only way I could do it.
I could sleep at night and we peppy the next day on Prozac.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
(female)

louy75 HB User

Hi with prozac i couldn't sleep well and when i did had terrible nightmares.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #7
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

I have been on Prozac for about four months now. Today I did have something strange happen to me, though.
I woke up around 9:30 after sleeping good all night. But around 11:45 I suddenly got tired and cold. I crawled back into bed, thinking I had a cold...but then I physically felt like I had no body. I could NOT pull myself out of bed for a solid hour. I never had this happen before.
Other strange side-effects I had were an itchy scalp and food allergies, but I'm not sure if the drug was causing that.
I also have stiffness in my hands and other joints.
Who knows?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Were you falling asleep when you felt like you had no body? I know sleep paralysis can cause this feeling. I also saw a story on the news that covered a woman who had this happen to her while on prozac. She said it was like she was not in her body. So it's not unheard of for prozac to do that.

Last edited by Kari7171; 01-20-2006 at 07:40 AM.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
(male)

WOlfman67 HB User

I was kinda tired...but I just had no strength or I guess(to be more accurate) will-power. I did eventually get up and then I was full of energy. Maybe I had too much of the Prozac build up in my system over the last few days and it wasn't being released gradually???

Old 01-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I think I am dealing with food allergies now too. I have been getting hives on my forehead that really itch. It's only been in the last couple days though so I am not sure it's the med either. It seems to happen when I eat applesauce which I have been eating a lot of lately since it goes down easy when I feel nauseated from this stuff. Today it's not there and I haven't had any applesauce. I hope that's it or I may have to stop taking this lexapro.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:30 PM   #11
(female)

butterfly64 HB User

Prozac mad me absoultely over the top..........MANIC...but then again I think I have a little of that naturally....so my two cents worth........

"If you don't see a light at the end of the tunnel, you're in the wrong tunnel."

Old 01-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

I am interested in this thread......my saga continues!
Wellbutrin XL did not work for me; Buspar did not work for me. So NOW, I may be trying Prozac. As it turns out, my rheumatologist had mentioned Prozac as a med that could possibly help with my Raynaud's. I got so tired of all the meds I have tried for Raynaud's that I stopped taking them all two days ago!!! Now I'm thinking that if Prozac would help my depression AND help with my Raynaud's.....it might be worth a try.
So can someone share the "good, bad & the ugly" about Prozac? I'm getting desperate to get back to my old self....I just want to be happy again.
Thanks so much!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Roz5,
Have you gone on Prozac? I am going to the doctor tomorrow and asking to be put on it. I am still having hives from the Lexapro and I really need to get off of it.

Kari

Old 01-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

roz5 HB User

Hi Kari,
I do have the Prozac (generic, Fluoxetine) in my possession, but have yet to start taking it. Plain and simple, I guess I'm afraid to. Weight gain is my biggest fear on any of these meds and I know it simply comes down to "calories in/calories out". I talked with my gyn yesterday (she's been my saving grace) and we still think that my depression may be a bit hormonally related. I guess it's 50/50 as to I wait it out and see if the HRT med adjustment helps....or if I truly need the Prozac. In the meantime, I've been seeing a therapist once a week. It's difficult "opening up" to someone you don't know, but I guess in time, that will change.
Have you started weaning off Lexapro yet? How long have you been on Lexapro?

Old 01-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well yesterday I went and bought a pill splitter so this morning I split the 10mg tab in half and only took 5mg. I still got a hive from it within an hour. I have my appt with the gyno in an hour so I'll probably have prozac in my possession soon. Oh wait I now have a hive on my forehead. Well if it helps any I knew someone who took prozac and it made her very motivated and she lost tons of weight and was too skinny and had to stop taking it because she lost too much weight. I also read last night that it can make a person lose weight but it also can make a person gain weight. I guess just trying it you'll see what it does for you.

Closed Thread