It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User
Long Term Effects of Elavil

Hi,

I'm on 25MG of Elavil per day for slight stomach issues/IBS. I discovered that I'm lactose intolerance therefore as long as I stay off milk, I feel fine. Either way, I want to know the long term effects of 25mg of Elavil per day. Is it ok to get off it cold-turkey? The reason I'm posting this here is because Elavil is usually for people who face depression.

Cheers

Old 01-19-2006, 05:21 PM   #2
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User
Re: Long Term Effects of Elavil

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorriedTeenager
Hi,

I'm on 25MG of Elavil per day for slight stomach issues/IBS. I discovered that I'm lactose intolerance therefore as long as I stay off milk, I feel fine. Either way, I want to know the long term effects of 25mg of Elavil per day. Is it ok to get off it cold-turkey? The reason I'm posting this here is because Elavil is usually for people who face depression.

Cheers
I think 25mg is a low dose. It's usually the starting dose for depression. This drug is not prescribed as often for depression as it used too because of side effects (not that you should be overly alarmed) and is considered "dirty." I think this med also comes in 10mg tabs to help you wean off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #3
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

What do you mean a "dirty" drug? As far as side effects, the only thing that I have noticed is it makes me tired, again, that's the noticable effects ( I don't know if there have been any physchological effects ).

Thanks nutty.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Yeah, I'm with the prof on this for being a low dose. It's so low I don't know there is much to worry about. Check with your doctor or pharmacist maybe for more info if you have specific concerns. It helps some with sleep and I don't think it has the sexual side effects like the SSRIs.

mNUT

Old 01-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
(female)

Patience2 HB User

Quote:
What do you mean a "dirty" drug? As far as side effects, the only thing that I have noticed is it makes me tired, again, that's the noticable effects ( I don't know if there have been any physchological effects ).

Thanks nutty.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
(female)

Patience2 HB User

Why "dirty"?

Old 01-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
(female)

Patience2 HB User
Question Re: Long Term Effects of Elavil

What do you mean "dirty"?

Old 01-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
(male)

nuttyprof. HB User

Quote:

Thanks nutty.
Psychiatrists refer to the old tricyclic antidepressants as "dirty drugs" because they affect so many different neurotransmitters (serotonin, norepinephrine, histamine, acetylcholine, etc..) which contributes to some bothersome side effects. The newer antidepressants like Prozac is selective and effects only one neurotransmitter. It is prescribed more because it has less annoying side effects and is much safer in overdose. It is no more effective than Elavil or the other tricyclics.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:38 PM   #9
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

Thanks nutty. I'm slowing weening off of it.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
(male)

Canyons HB User

Hi-
I have been on Elavil for 3 years. I take 150mg which is a lot more than you said you take. I use it for depression and stomach disorders that are associated with panic attacks. It does have some side effects. Long term use of it is not a problem, though. I only take it at night before I go to bed as it can knock you out. If I take it too late, sometimes I have a hard time waking up...I have been known to turn off my alarm clock in my sleep and end up sleeping late! But, with depression and panic stuff, it helps me sleep when I had problems with that. I used to stay up lots of nights with no sleep or only a couple of hours. It can cause sexual side effects. I have noticed that I need a little more help from my girlfriend than I used to...but it is ok! I have tried to stop and it was bad...but maybe would not be so bad at your dose. Well, I would not worry about long term problems with this drug. I hope this helps you.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Quote:
Thanks nutty. I'm slowing weening off of it.
Um, why you are tapering off of it? If it's helping there's no reason to stop, is there? You're not getting unwanted side effects, right? Just because there ARE "dirty" side effects for some people, if you're not getting any and you are getting relief by using it why not keep it up? At least discuss it with your doctor. Maybe s/he can find something that feels more appropriate for you?

Last edited by macadamiaNUT; 01-20-2006 at 06:37 PM.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User

My doctor prescribed Amytriptyline ( generic Elavil) for nerve pain. I had carpal tunnel surgery and the surgeon nicked the nerve. I am taking 20 mg daily for that ....that is really a pretty low dose. For depression ( because I can't do some things I used to be able to do and because of that loss) I am taking Lexapro.

Quite frankly, I think drug companies try to promote that the latest is the best and maybe that is not always the case? The Amytriptyline is cheap compared to the newer drugs that have side effects too. I was on Neurontin( an antiseizure drug) for the nerve pain and that caused blurred and double vision so I couldn't drive even at a very low dose.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:13 PM   #13
(male)

WorriedTeenager HB User

Canyons, thanks for the info. I take it for "IBS" which is really a tremendous set of symptoms, as far as I know, it could be a panic disorder, digestive issues, etc. I am lactose intolerant, though.

macadamiaNUT, why not? I don't like being dependent on anything, especially a drug.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Sorry, I sounded like somebody's mother, didn't I. Oops.

Closed Thread