It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User
Cymbalta vs. Effexor

Has anyone tried both of these medications? Which one did you like best and why? Which was more helpful with depression and which had more side effects? I am concerned with weight gain and flat emotions. I would like relief from hopelessness and amotivation. I have tried Effexor and wasn't happy with it. Please offer any help you can give!!!!

Old 01-24-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
(male)

College boy HB User
Re: Cymbalta vs. Effexor

Hi,

I took effexor for 5 months and now i'm weaning off of it cuz its putting me hyper. Can't sleep!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #3

December716 HB User

I was put on Cymbalta because unlike Effexor, Cymbalta works on Serotonin and Norepinephrine both from the very first dose. With Effexor, you have to get it up to a certain dose before the norepinephrine response kicks in. Also, Effexor has a profile for being very terrible to come off of. Maybe it's related to the fact that the higher the dose, the higher the serotonin action is, and you just have to keep going higher and higher with the dose if you want it to act on norepinephrine and dopamine.

However, if you're in an extremely deep, dark depression, I've heard Effexor is the ultimate to get you out of it, since it does have the capability of working on all three neurotransimitters.

I was in an extremely deep depression and Cymbalta did the trick for me. I think it is an amazing medicine, myself.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:45 AM   #4
(female)

chrismom HB User

Hi

I've been on Cymbalta since September and it has been the most effective AD for me and I've been on many. It doesn't cause sugar cravings/weight gain. It relieves the fatigue associated with depression and really lifted my depression. I am at a very low dose though. At higher doses I couldn't sleep. It's not like that for everyone. I only take 20mg. Some say that the insomnia goes away.

I like Cymbalta!

Chris

Old 01-25-2006, 01:13 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

Thanks for all the responses. I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried both! I'm not really concerned about sugar cravings, just those weird unexplained weight gains.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

Does anyone know if norepinephrine and serotonin are equally acted upon?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

What's the lowest therapeutic dosage?

Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 PM   #8

December716 HB User

In Cymbalta, I am almost certain that norepinephrine and serotonin are equally acted upon. That is not the case for Effexor.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jealibeanz HB User

So, how would the drugs act differently? Why isn't Cybalta pushed so much? Because it's so new?

Old 01-29-2006, 07:00 PM   #10

December716 HB User

In Effexor, it starts to work on your serotonin first from the beginning. Then somewhere around 200 mg it starts to work on norepinephrine. So you are taking that much Serotonin (it doesn't stop raising the level of Serotonin it works on) to get the norepinephine. Around 300 mg it starts to work on dopamine.

Discontinuation from Effexor can be extremely harsh and there is actually a rare but serious disorder where you'll end up having to be on the medicine for the rest of your life because withdrawal is impossible. This can be a problem mostly for people with Bipolar who are triggered into mania by the medicine, but it would also be pretty bad for someone who gains a lot of weight on the medicine and is stuck on it forever.

Cymbalta, however, acts on norephinephrine and serotonin together from the start. 60 mg is the dose the company's research has found to be most effective.

I can't answer why it isn't pushed. My psych NP recommended it right away for me, so I don't have any other experience with it with other doctors.

Old 01-30-2006, 04:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Does cymbalta help anxiety disorders, or is it mainly for depression?

Old 01-30-2006, 05:58 AM   #12

December716 HB User

Cymbalta isn't approved for anxiety, but it is used off label for it. I think the only antidepressant that is approved specifically for anxiety is Paxil. At least it's the only SSRI that I know of approved for it. But norepinephrine is good for anxiety/panic disorders in a lot of cases.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User

December, hi, I'm having a rough time with Cymbalta. Could you tell me how long it took to pull you out of the depression? I have only been on it for a week, but I'm getting frustrated. I'm on 60 mg.
Thank you,
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by December716
I was put on Cymbalta because unlike Effexor, Cymbalta works on Serotonin and Norepinephrine both from the very first dose. With Effexor, you have to get it up to a certain dose before the norepinephrine response kicks in. Also, Effexor has a profile for being very terrible to come off of. Maybe it's related to the fact that the higher the dose, the higher the serotonin action is, and you just have to keep going higher and higher with the dose if you want it to act on norepinephrine and dopamine.

However, if you're in an extremely deep, dark depression, I've heard Effexor is the ultimate to get you out of it, since it does have the capability of working on all three neurotransimitters.

I was in an extremely deep depression and Cymbalta did the trick for me. I think it is an amazing medicine, myself.

Closed Thread