It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

sadiegirl HB User
effexor and cymbalta, interchangeable?

my doc is resistant to requesting my insurance to pay for cymbalta (which i have been taking for 2 weeks) and told me over the phone that he'd rather just call in a perscription for effexor insted. i am pretty unhappy with this (since i am trying to give cymbalta a fair shot and have gotten over some initial side effects in hopes of eventually getting over the rest)..........when i read your posts about effexor it scares me.......plus, it doesnt make sense to just abruptly switch! especially when i am seeing benefits from cymbalta. help! what should i do?

Old 01-26-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User
Re: effexor and cymbalta, interchangeable?

What the Heck?? Just wants to switch the rx to Effexor? To heck with what you want, and despite you having gone through the initial stuff? Plus, he didn't SAY just HOW you would do that--taper down, then taper up? Tell me this is not a psychiatrist, please!

How do you feel about staying with this doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

sadiegirl HB User

thank you macadamianut for your reply. I thought it was just me, that i was going crazy! yep. he was just going to call the pharmacy and have me pick effexor and start taking it because "your insurance will probably cover it". that just scared me......on top of this, when i initially asked for cymbalta he said "are you sure you want it? these meds all kill your sex drive etc" and when i said this one is supposed to be different he said "they are all the same"....so i left expecting this side effect and guess what?.....no side effects except sexual ones........talk about the power of suggestion.....nope, he is not a psychiatrist and i am going to ask him for a referral to one and then go through the awful mess of changing docs......have you had any experiences with these meds? thank you again..........it is nice to know other people care........

Old 01-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I went from Paxil to effexor with no difficulties and no side effects.

tak care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 01-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janart HB User

This may be mean to say but unless a doctor has experienced AD'S themselves, they have no clue. Unless they deal with depressed people alot and for a long time. It just burns me up the way they just go by what the med reps tell them!!

Old 01-26-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janart
This may be mean to say but unless a doctor has experienced AD'S themselves, they have no clue. Unless they deal with depressed people alot and for a long time. It just burns me up the way they just go by what the med reps tell them!!
Ditto, janart, ditto ditto ditto!!! grrrr

Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
(female)

sadiegirl HB User

ditto too! What would I do without this board? Your support is invaluable.....I will not switch like he advised......I will get a referral for a psyc and switch docs!!
thank you

Closed Thread