It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2002, 11:12 AM   #1

blooz HB User
Post celexa vs. wellbutrin

Hi! I'm new and was wondering about Celexa vs. Wellbutrin.Has anyone gone from one to the other, what you thought, which was better for you.. Please let me know. I am depressed and have been prescribed Celexa but am afraid to take it (or any anti-depressant)but Wellbutrin, in what I've read and seen on the board, seems to not interfere with sex drive and helps sleep and these two facets sound appealing. Thanks ! Take care!

Old 12-17-2002, 12:43 PM   #2
(male)

nux HB User
I have the same question as you. I was put on celexa, 10 mg the first week, but after upping the dosage to 20 mg, the second night (at 29 mg) I spent vomiting, in between fainting when I tried to stand up. the whole next day, I couldn't get out of bed, literally.

that's my celexa horror story. I've heard great things about the drug, so I guess mine was just a fluke adverse reaction. needless to say, however, I'm not going to start taking it again.

I'm thinking about wellbutrin, but have been cautioned about the possibility of seizures, even with the SR form.

this whole better living through pharmaceuticals thing is kind of like roulette.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2002, 05:47 AM   #3

blooz HB User
Hi! Thanks for responding! That sounds like a terrible experience! Can anyone out there give us some feedback? We'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you

Old 12-18-2002, 06:41 AM   #4

hulagirl HB User
Talking

I don't know about the other medication you mentioned but I do know about wellbutrin.
I have never seen anyone seizure from it and I saw someone try to overdose on it..they never seizured but they got real sick..some people!!!
I take wellbutrin SR 150mg I have taken it before but not for depression, its also used to help you stop smoking. Im not a pill poper and I don't like to take medications but I am cause I was very depressed. I told my doctor my concerns about medications and the fact that Im not ahppy with my current weight. He put me on Wellbutrin to help my depression and because its one of the few that doesn't make you gain weight..Thank God.. From what I understand it is supposed to be one of the best with the least side effects.! If your taking any medication though that makes you feel physically ill stop taking it and get a new medication. There are many out there.
HuLa

Old 12-18-2002, 07:50 AM   #5

blooz HB User
Hi! Thanks for responding! Do you like Wellbutrin?Are there any side effects? Does it help alleviate your depression? Can you sleep on it? Sorry for all the questions, but I am in need of help but want the right AD for me! Take care!

Old 12-21-2002, 08:31 PM   #6

anon_usr HB User
Arrow

Actually I've been prescribed both. After a major episode of depression I was put on 20mg Celexa. I stayed w/ the prescription for about 3 months before the sexual side effects became unbearable. However, each person reacts differently. Anyhow, I was then placed on 150mg twice daily of wellbutrin SR. I have found that my mood is better, yet Wellbutrin doesnt seem to be as effective regarding my mood as celexa. However, the sexual side effects are well...not present at all, to say the least. I suggest that you first give Celexa a shot, try it for a couple months, and if you are then not happy with it, talk to your doctor about Wellbutrin.

Old 12-22-2002, 04:55 AM   #7

blooz HB User
Thanks for getting back to me! I really don't know what I'll ultimately do yet, but I appreciate your valuable input! Take care!

Old 12-22-2002, 07:01 AM   #8
Veteran

buck58 HB User
I've been on just about every AD out there ( barring just a few ), And I stick with wellbutrin. I've got my sexual function back, depression is better, and no other sides I've noticed. If I were you, I'd start with the wellbutrin and ONLY go to one of the others if it is ABSOLUTELY neccesary. That has been my person experience from years of taking AD's. see ya.
buck

Old 12-22-2002, 07:10 AM   #9

blooz HB User
Hey Buck! Thanks for your're reply! I am sort of leaning in the same direction as you! What about sleep? Does Wellbutrin cause insomnia? Please let me know. Take care!

Old 12-23-2002, 04:03 PM   #10
Veteran

buck58 HB User
Hey Blooz, Hasn't bothered my sleeping at all. The only side I've noticed is a dull headache most days, but compared to some of the other side effects I experienced with the other AD's, I can tolerate that.
see ya, buck.

Old 12-23-2002, 06:20 PM   #11
Inactive

lilmissme HB User
Eeek, I can't believe I didn't see this earlier!!!

I agree with Buck. I've been on both of them for over 3 years and have had fabulous luck. Granted I did start Wellbutrin before Celexa. But like Buck said, start with just the Wellbutrin and then go from there! Good luck and let us know what happens!!

Lilmissme http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 12-23-2002, 11:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User
I blooz......I can't offer any information on the medicinces but I know it can be a rocky road finding whats right for you,I hope you find wonderful results with which ever medicine you choose to take and you don't have to search to far to find it.

Old 11-08-2003, 11:02 PM   #13

attitude HB User
I found Wellbutrin to definitely increase sex drive and decrease appetite, but did not help at all with my depression. Lexapro made it impossible to orgasm, so now I'm on day 1 of Celexa 10 mg/day. Wish me luck!

Old 11-12-2003, 07:57 AM   #14

twinlake HB User
Post Celexa vs Wellbutrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blooz
Hi! I'm new and was wondering about Celexa vs. Wellbutrin.Has anyone gone from one to the other, what you thought, which was better for you.. Please let me know. I am depressed and have been prescribed Celexa but am afraid to take it (or any anti-depressant)but Wellbutrin, in what I've read and seen on the board, seems to not interfere with sex drive and helps sleep and these two facets sound appealing. Thanks ! Take care!
I started out with Celexa, 20 mg and then up to 40 mg. It seemed to work very well for my depression, but I would fall asleep driving...which was not good. So i changed over to Wellbutrin XL, started with 150 mg and then up to 300 mg. The 300 mg made me so sick, spent most of my time throwing up! Then back to 150 mg, and now I am very moody, cry at the drop of a hat, awful...but I did get my energy back, not so sleepy! When I am with people I manage to control myself, but when alone would just cry constantly! Can't live like that.

Today my doctor is putting me back on 40 mg of Celexa at night and the 150 mg of Wellbutrin XL in the morning, hoping for a good combination, energy, able to sleep at night, and coverage for my depression.

Hope this helps you in your decision.

[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=DarkRed]

Old 11-17-2003, 08:46 PM   #15

chemboy HB User
I haven't been on Celexa, but I have been on Wellbutrin SR for about 6 years now. I take 450 mg/day. I tried taking 300 mg, but that isn't a good idea for myself. I am still depressed, but nothing like I was prior to taking it. The sexual side effects are hell for me. You see, my sex drive has sky-rocketed, but have no one to share it with. But that's a whole different story...

Good luck!

Closed Thread