It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Did or Does Effexor XR Work For Anyone?

Hi, everyone. I just read a "commercial" in a magazine and it gave me a little hope. I didn't see listed in the side effects WEIGHT GAIN. I did see loss of appetite though.

I am on Lexapro and weight gain is my biggest problem. I gained 50 pounds on it. I couldn't stand it any longer, went off of it, worked very hard to lose the weight, then became severely depressed again and had to go back on the Lexapro.

Now the weight is coming back full force. It's so frustrating!

If anyone could give me some insight into Effexor XR, I would really appreciate it. Of course I don't know if it will work for me, but I sure am willing to give it a try!

I hope I hear from some of you soon because I'd like to make a dr's appointment asap.

Thank you,

Salty

Old 02-01-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
(male)

jhu1321 HB User
Re: Did or Does Effexor XR Work For Anyone?

Effexor has worked out great for me. I gained a little weight in the begining of treatment but had lost a bunch previously due to the depression so I consider it a wash in the end. My MD said that they are actually testing effexor as a tool to fight obesity............it's not FDA approved for that but research is being done. You'll hear all knids of discontinuation nightmares about effexor but remember all meds effect people differently so you never know until you try. Hope it works out for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Salty,

I have been on Effexor XR for over a year now. I also take Ativan for my anxiety, as I use to have panic attacks. Effexor has been great for me. I have not gained any weight and my appetite has not increased. I find that my appetite has actually decreased but I love sweets so I not loosing a bunch of weight. Right now I am taking 225 MG and I take it in the morning with food. Tried a number of different antidepressants but this one was the only I could tolerate, of course everyone is different.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you both SO much for writing. Has it helped with the DEPRESSION TOO?

Salty

Old 02-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, shoot, I forgot, 2 more things...Lexapro is hell in the sex department, is Effexor XR any better? And also, how long did it take on average for both of you for the Effexor XR to start working?

JHU, are you also taking 225 mg?

Thank you!

Salty

Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 AM   #6
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty
Oh, shoot, I forgot, 2 more things...Lexapro is hell in the sex department, is Effexor XR any better? And also, how long did it take on average for both of you for the Effexor XR to start working?

JHU, are you also taking 225 mg?

Thank you!

Salty
Salty,

I am single and don't date much so I don't have much sex. That last sexual encounter I had was about a couple months ago and it was terrific. I am a female so the effect may be different for males.

The Effexor does help with my depression but depending on what I am going through, sometimes I begin to feel worse. My puppy died a couple of weeks ago and I was feeling extremely depressed. I am fine now. I can say that I am able to deal with my depression on Effexor. If I was not on it, I would not be able to handle a stressful or sad situation, without having a nervous breakdown or clinging to my bed. I don't think there is an antidepressant around that is a miracle cure but just being able to deal with life's stresses is a benefit of taking an antidepressant.

I would say it took me about 2-3 weeks before I began to feel better. It will also depend on the dosage and if Effexor works for you. My doctor increased my dosage to 300 mg about 3 weeks ago because I was feeling more depressed, just due to some recent situations. I could not tell any difference so he lowered it to 225 mg. He also put me on a drug called Remeron last week. I took one and it was awful, I could barely stay awake and felt extremely dehydrated so I am not taking it anymore. You will also have to work with your doctor to determine how much meds you can tolerate and how much meds you need to control your depression.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

sadiegirl HB User

Happy Days,
This morning as I woke up to my puppy licking my face my first thought was that she is the best anti depressant around. My heart goes out to you for the loss of yours.......it takes a strong person to cope with that.
Best wishes

Old 02-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
(male)

jhu1321 HB User

Yeah, kicked my depression's ***! As far as sex goes..........it actually increased my sex drive but I didn't want sex at all while depressed so I guess I am making up for lost time! For me I atarted feeling better in about a week but really felt back to normal after about 5-6 weeks. I am currently on 75 mg's per day.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Gosh, I love you guys!!!! Thank you soooo much for writing so quickly! I put a call into my dr's assistant, but I haven't heard back yet. I'm ready!!!!! I am ready to try something new.

I am an animal lover big time---the puppy story made me cry. I couldn't live without pets. I'm soooo sorry Happy Days. I truly am.

I thought I would never, ever love any pet like my Chester-boy, but you do heal after time and believe it or not, I did it by rescuing a little, scared kitten who had no one and no home. Now she's my Dixie-girl.

I still love Chester and always will and know I will be with him (and all my animals one day), but Happy Days, maybe...maybe there's a kitten or puppy out there waiting for you. If it's too soon, I'm sorry, there are just so many animals who need someone like you to love them.

Everything you guys are telling me sounds great as far as Effexor XR goes. The doses are a little different, but I guess I have to leave that up to my dr. I'm so scared to gain weight.

I'm a female and the sex part sounds good. I hope my dr's office calls. They are the kind of office that isn't good about calling back, but I promised myself this time, I wouldn't continue to call. I just said a little prayer and hope I hear from them. If not, I will try them late this afternoon or in the morning.

Thanks again,

Salty

Old 02-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
(male)

jhu1321 HB User

Keep us updated.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I will, thank you!!!! No word from the assistant yet. I'm getting ready to call there.

Salty

Old 02-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

luv2read HB User

I take effexor xr 150 mg. and it's wonderful. I've tried many different meds for depression and none worked.

Effexor xr kicked in with me real quick, about a wk. And that was I think about 37.5 mg. Then worked my way up to 150 mg, where my dr wanted me .

I'll be on effexor xr forever and I don't even care. he,he..... It works

Now I can still get into a depression, but mostly it's situational now....instead of before effexor the depression was just there all the time.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

mjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB Usermjewell HB User

Boy, where were you guys when I started taking Effexor? LOL. I promptly quit taking it after only 4 weeks becausse all the horror stories on this board scared the crap out of me.

I am currently on Lexapro which works wonderfully on anxiety and depression, but I am definitely not impressed in the sex department.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:19 PM   #14
(female)

Happy Days HB User

Thanks for your expressions of sympathy concerning my puppy. I was devastated but life goes on. Could not say that if I weren't on antidepressants.

Effexor is great but my only fear is when it is time to get off of the meds. I have heard some horror stories about withdrawals. Perhaps I will just stay on it forever. :-)

Old 02-03-2006, 06:19 AM   #15
(male)

jhu1321 HB User

Yeah horror stories do abound but remember that there are people who get off effexor without many problems. Those folks probably aren't posting on the internet about how easy it was. I think we're only getting one side of the story by researching withdrawals on the internet.

Closed Thread