It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2003, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

blackcatinthesky HB User
Post Zoloft and bruising

Since starting zoloft Ive been bruising VERY easily. my arms are covered with them, I have many welts, and I dont remember banging into things... they just kind of appear. Im wondering what thats all about. Anyone experience anything like that?

Old 01-16-2003, 10:53 AM   #2
Inactive

Kathrin HB User
I started noticing more bruises after being on Prozac for a while, after I had raised the dose from 20 to 40 mgs. I got really scared, fearing that I would have to stop the med (that was working wonderfully)... I called my PDoc and he did some calling around, I think he even called poison control or something, and said that it appears to happen to a minority of people.

If you do research on the web, you will find some mentioning of this too, enter ssris and bruising into a search engine, you will probably find some info... I remember somewhere it was even listed as one of the common side effects, together with the tip to avoid aspirin.

My bruising never got so bad that my whole arms were covered with bruises, but I had quite a few of them, it seemed at all times. I stopped taking aspirin for headaches and switched to tylenol, and that helped. (I tried it out one time, taking an aspirin, and immediately I had a bruise again!!!!!)

In my case I could stay on the prozac, fortunately.

I would talk to your doc, ok?

Kathrin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2003, 10:56 AM   #3
(female)

blackcatinthesky HB User
I did talk to him, he said it may be a reaction to the meds. He is giving me one weeks worth more and then I have an appt, he will check out my blood. He said he didnt find anything about bruising and zoloft... but I have heard that antianxiety meds can cause blood to thin. I also heard that about aspirin, unfortunately its the only thing that helps me headaches!

Old 01-24-2003, 10:04 AM   #4

Amosquito HB User
Kathrin:

Did you find another med that you *could* take after having to go off the Prozac? Which one?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathrin:
I started noticing more bruises after being on Prozac for a while, after I had raised the dose from 20 to 40 mgs. I got really scared, fearing that I would have to stop the med (that was working wonderfully)... I called my PDoc and he did some calling around, I think he even called poison control or something, and said that it appears to happen to a minority of people.

If you do research on the web, you will find some mentioning of this too, enter ssris and bruising into a search engine, you will probably find some info... I remember somewhere it was even listed as one of the common side effects, together with the tip to avoid aspirin.

My bruising never got so bad that my whole arms were covered with bruises, but I had quite a few of them, it seemed at all times. I stopped taking aspirin for headaches and switched to tylenol, and that helped. (I tried it out one time, taking an aspirin, and immediately I had a bruise again!!!!!)

In my case I could stay on the prozac, fortunately.

I would talk to your doc, ok?

Kathrin

Old 01-25-2003, 05:25 PM   #5

PrettyInPink1123 HB User
i had HORRIBLE bruising from paxil....believe it or not, from the sound of it, mine was actually worse i think...so don't worry. i just woke up one day and both my legs were covered from thigh to ankles in bruises. and i mean COVERED...you couldn't even see leg color..my entire legs were like different shades of blues...and at the time I was an otherwise healthy, average weight (a little underweight actually) 17 yr old..so i definitiely had no reason to have this sort of bruising on my legs. it was horrible..do yours hurt? because i couldnt even walk...so much pain. my pdoc said that he never heard of paxil doing that, but my crazy dad did research on it and found out that it actually is an extremely rare side effect...since they are both SSRIs...it is probably the same thing. i stopped it, and my bruises went away. Hang in there.

Closed Thread