It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Question Paxil , is it better than Prozac?

Tried Prozac for 3 weeks didnt like the way it made me feel and sleepy all day. Doc suggested Paxil. Looking for advice before I try it? Any Paxil experiences out there?

Old 04-18-2003, 12:44 PM   #2

StwShCake13 HB User
Lightbulb

Ok well I thought I posted here but I answered you under the Prozac question. Anyways........Paxil did not work for me at all! Made me throw up ALOT! Prozac is what gave me anxiety attacks I am getting off Effexor XR this week and it's been the worst feeling of my life EVER. It's like coming off of heroin! Anyways.........I know ALOT of people that take Paxil and LOVE it! Most have no side effects at all! Give it a try for a week or two and if Paxil don't work for you .........there's tons of other meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2003, 04:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
i agree with StwshCake,but it was paxil that made me feel "more me" (ie, not depressed, more confident), zoloft really nauseated me, never tried prozac -- but i am one of those whom paxil REALLY helped (unfortunately it wore off after about 6 years) ...
i went on effexor which made me FAT (didn't work either), but i guess i'm one of the very few who experienced no effects coming off it...

SSRIs (prozac, luvox, celexa, paxil, and many others) all have slightly different side effects; if one member of the SSRI family has horrible side effects, that doesn't necessarily mean that another will, so it's a real trial and error thing, and one can't really say that one is better than the other --- it's just what works for you ...

so who knows, paxil just might work for you -- i sure hope it does ...

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 04-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 04-18-2003).]

Old 04-22-2003, 01:39 PM   #4

trishk HB User
I was on Paxil for awhile, then switched to Prozac. Big mistake! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_down.gif Prozac made me feel dark and gloomy and very angry almost all the time. I would have horrible nightmares about death and every night I would wake up in a cold sweat. My appetite got even worse than it had been on the Paxil so I had my doctor switch me back to the Paxil and I was fine again. Taking Prozac was like riding a very slow roller coaster through hell and praying to God it would hurry up!

I'm not on either now, but I did have a better experience with Paxil than Prozac. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by flyfskm (edited 04-22-2003).]

Old 04-25-2003, 09:00 AM   #5

Sierrahigh HB User
Cool

I used Prozac many years ago and found it to be very helpful in regard to my obsessiveness and I was more relaxed about things in general. It also help my fibro symptoms. I eventually went off because I lost my drive and the sexual effects. I have been going through a very hard time with my family,(my 2 daughters suffer from depression) and my fatigue and anxiety are out of control. I am going to go on wellbutrin for the fatigue but I am concerned about anxiety. Is it common to prescribe another drug with the wellbutrin to counteract the anxiety? Appreciate any advice.

[This message has been edited by Sierrahigh (edited 04-25-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sierrahigh (edited 04-25-2003).]

Old 04-25-2003, 02:21 PM   #6

neroli HB User
Have been on Prozac for 3 years this time, was on it years ago and came off. Having trouble with my weight, hungry all the time and hadn't thought that was the Prozac... just me being greedy.

I am also tried a lot, thought that was the work.. do you think when we are medication it is easy to blame that for things, when it could be something general that would have happened anyway? I daren't come off the Prozac, cos scared stiff of ever feeling like I used to do.

Closed Thread