It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2006, 12:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User
ears ringing--argh!

I've heard about this before, and honestly have had it mildly for a while. Last night though it was so dang loud I thought it was crickets outside. This morning it is still just as dang loud and there are no crickets out--it's my ears, and it must have been last night as well. Now THIS could drive me ...to distraction.

If you have this or had it, does it increase and decrease in volume with dose of antidepressant? I've mostly ever been on 100 mg. of Zoloft, but lately have been at 150. argh!! And I have a killer head ache to go with it. waaa... Please, is there any relief for this annoying side effect??

TIA,
macadamiaNUT

Old 03-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

debdough HB User
Re: ears ringing--argh!

Well I've had ringing in my left ear for !!!!!!!!!!!!!22yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was told back then it was something called 'meniers' disease, I used to get overwheming dizziness it was horrible. I now only have the noise but, I do find it quieter when I'm not too stressed and I don't get dizzy anymore. I spect you feel really good now! Take Care debdough I'm doubting weather to send this now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience, debdough. We're not alone . I'm glad you aren't dizzy with this anymore. What a pain that would be. Did something change so to help that?

I wondered if stress, like you mentioned is related too. Because it's been stressful around here I'm on a higher dose. Oh, maybe too, lack of sleep?? I do this ridiculous pattern every week: Th a.m. up at 5:30 for commute to internship, Th night class until 8:30 then stay up until....oh, midnight. Up at 6:30 to get dd to school. Homework. F night class again and home by 9:30. Usually I do homework or TELL myself I will but don't and then get up Sat early early before my carpool friend comes over at 7 to head again to classes. S night, crash and burn. The internship is only a month old, so maybe that's the stressor--transition to making it a part of the routine. Meh.

okay, I blabbed on and on (and my ears are still ringing but the tylenol is helping with the headache). Thanks for "listening".

mNUT

Old 03-03-2006, 11:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamiaNUT
I've heard about this before, and honestly have had it mildly for a while. Last night though it was so dang loud I thought it was crickets outside. This morning it is still just as dang loud and there are no crickets out--it's my ears, and it must have been last night as well. Now THIS could drive me ...to distraction.

If you have this or had it, does it increase and decrease in volume with dose of antidepressant? I've mostly ever been on 100 mg. of Zoloft, but lately have been at 150. argh!! And I have a killer head ache to go with it. waaa... Please, is there any relief for this annoying side effect??

TIA,
macadamiaNUT
when I went through benzo withdrawal a doc tried a brief trial of an AD on me for my symptoms which didn't work out. But I remember alot of ear ringing and pounding while on it(plus my head had so much pressure it could have just exploded any minute!) so I'd say maybe you've got too much vasoconstriction(serotonin itself is a vasoconstictor) going on there? Maybe a decrease in dosage would help but check with your doc first.

Last edited by Jennita; 03-03-2006 at 11:52 PM.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
(female)

Rianna HB User

I have had permanent ringing in my ears due to Lexapro. I took it about 3 years ago, and that is when the ringing started, and it has not stopped. I have become acclimated to it, but wish I had never taken the Lexapro.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Thanks Jennita and Rianna for replying. Ohhhh, no, it persists after you stopped the Lexapro?? Ugh. I hope the pdoc has some ideas. This is getting ridiculous. :P

Old 03-21-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdough
Well I've had ringing in my left ear for !!!!!!!!!!!!!22yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was told back then it was something called 'meniers' disease, I used to get overwheming dizziness it was horrible. I now only have the noise but, I do find it quieter when I'm not too stressed and I don't get dizzy anymore. I spect you feel really good now! Take Care debdough I'm doubting weather to send this now.

what did you do to get rid of the dizziness? was it all just anxiety/depression? i get dizzy alot just no ringing

Old 03-21-2006, 03:36 PM   #8
(female)

Rianna HB User

Yes, it persisted even after stopping the Lexapro. I had to go on to an Tinnitus support board, because I honestly did not know how I was going to cope..thought I was going to go nuts..with both my ears ringing like crazy. I went to an ENT and he said "there is nothing I can do, there is no cure for Tinnitus (ringing in the ears), you just have to live with it". Wow..I was so angry! Even wrote a complaint to the medical board about his attitude. But three years later..I know he was right. I am living with it..hoping someday for a cure, but if there isn't that is okay. There were times, that I did not want to go on..but after awhile..I grew acclimated to it..in other words..it was there..but there would be times when five minutes would go by..and I was not distracted by it..then about a month later..a whole day would go by..and I was not distracted about the ringing. Eventually, you do get acclimated to it. Have you gone to an ENT (Ear, nose and throat doctor?) to make sure you don't have wax build up or an inner ear infection? Sometimes that causes ringing..or if you listen to your car radio to loud, etc.

Old 03-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Rianna, thanks for the ideas. I see my pdoc this week, so I'll talk to her first and go from there. Gosh, this is the one time I hope for ear wax build up!!

Closed Thread