It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Natalie00 HB User
Residual Schizophrenia VS. Depression??

I read that people with residual schizophrenia do not suffer from delusions, hallucinations, or disorganized speech or behavior, but they lack motivation and interest in day-to-day living.

So....how does this differ from depression? I don't get it.

Last edited by Natalie00; 03-06-2006 at 03:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Residual Schizophrenia

When you say "residual schizophrenia", do you mean people who are schizophrenic but are on an anti-psychotic? I would think so, as schizophrenia cannot be cured. Schizophrenia is diagnosed by two types of symptoms: positive symptoms and negative symptoms. Positive symptoms are those that you mentioned, such as hallucinations, delusions, and disorganized thinking and/or speech. These can be managed with anti-psychotics. Negative symptoms are the classic apathetic vibe some schizophrenics give out, and a lack of will to communicate with others. The negative symptoms are always there in some form, but actually, the anti-psychotics tend to worsen them. This is because the anti-psychotics work to decrease the amount of dopamine in the brain, as schizophrenia is thought to be caused by an excess of dopamine at post-synaptic neurons. Dopamine is the so-called "pleasure neurotransmitter," and with decreased amounts of dopamine, the schizophrenic patient may lose enjoyment of everyday activities and seem lethargic. The main difference would be that schizophrenics are not actually depressed, but they may lack the ability to feel proper emotions at the proper time. This includes happiness as well as sadness. Hope this helped!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 03-06-2006 at 06:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
(male)

BigLebowski HB User

Residual Schizophrenia is described here:
[url]http://counsellingresource.com/distress/schizophrenia/icd/residual.html#residual-schizophrenia-description[/url]

Some of the new atypical antipsychotics claim to successfully treat the negative symptoms of Schizophrenia. ie they do not "worsen" the negative symptoms. They claim to have less side effects than the first generation of "typical" antipsychotics however side effects can include diabetes, weight gain and sexual dysfunction.

The relationship between depression and residual schizophrenia is an interesting one. It is believed that doctors often prescibe antidepressents for people they consider are depressed but who are actually residual schizophrenics.

The diagnosis seems to hinge on whether there is evidence of an initial actute phase of schizophrenia, ie one in which prominent positive symptoms appeared. In other words if you never had an initial positive-symptom "breakdown", it is unlikely that you have residual schizophrenia. Again, Doctors often optimistically interpret the intial phase as an acute depression and therefore the Schizophrenia diagnosis is missed.

Depression is a common factor in all phases of Schizophrenia and explains why so many comit suicide.

Dude

Old 12-09-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User

what do these symptoms include?

Closed Thread