It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2006, 08:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

salty HB Usersalty HB User
Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Taking Lexapro....

Hi. Has anyone ever heard or has ever taken Lexapro in 2 doses (meaning
5 mg. in the morning and 5 mg. at night)?

Thank you,

Salty

Old 03-06-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User
Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Taking Lexapro....

Hi,

I have only been on lexapro for about two weeks. I was told to take 10mg in the morning when I got up. It seemed to make me sleepy so I called my Dr. and she said to take half in the morning and half in the afternoon.

Even though I haven't been on it long, I feel better. I always used to wake up feeling panicy and now that feeling has gone away.

I hope you do good on it. Bye bye for now....Connie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh, Connie, you don't know how happy this makes me!

I have always felt a heaviness on Lexapro and I just thought I'd experiment and break the 10 mg in half and take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night and I swear I feel lighter.

I think I will take the nighttime 1/2 in the afternoon just because your dr. suggested that.

I don't know if this lighter feeling will last, but I sure hope so!

Thank you SOOOOOOO much for writing back so quickly!!!!!

Salty

Old 03-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Salty,

ummm, I think someone else said something similar but, personally, I'd be waiting to talk with the doctor... We could all be axe-carrying people making all this stuff up, you know?

I read a number of places that Cymbalta can have some difficult tapering effects. Some suggested it can be worse than Effexor.

I forget if you are seeing a psychiatrist or not, but that too is always one of my suggestions, based on experience.

GL,
macadamiaNUT

Old 03-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm okay mNUT, thanks for caring. I left the dr. a message. He knows I'm back on the Lexapro and as soon as I get out of this depression completely, I'll be in to see him.

I had a headache, but that was about it. He swore that you could jump from one A.D. to the other and you'd be okay. It's when you have to taper down because you aren't going on another one.

I had to do that with Lexapro one time, it took me 12 weeks!

I just can't wait to feel "normal" again and I pray the weight gain won't come back. I think what it might be is that I still have a tiny bit of the old drug in me and that's why I feel lighter, but I'm HOPING it's because I'm splitting the dose. One can always HOPE.

Hope you are doing okay. I don't know your story. What cocktail are you on?

I am going to try to get some sleep, I have insomnia, but I'm going to try again to lay down. If you write back, I'll answer your post in the morning.

Salty

Old 03-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

MagicSunshine HB User

Hi Salty,

I answered your post so you would know there is someone taking the lexapro. Please tell your Dr. the way you are taking it. There may be a reason he/she wants you to take the 10mg without dividing it.

Up until the lexapro, only one AD worked on me and I'm still on it, too. I don't think the Dr. is going to take me off of it or raise my dose of lexapro. It's been over 20 years that I've been on the elavil.

I wish you luck and wellness....Connie

Old 03-07-2006, 05:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Do you think it's safe to switch straight from a snri, like effexor, to a ssri, like lexapro? I have been on 150mg effexor for about 2 1/2 weeks, and would like to go back to lexapro.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Salty, so what's the deal today? Did you see your doc? ...and?

mNUT

Old 03-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Connie, I will tell him. He won't care if I divide it or not just as long as it still works for me. I've been on and off it so many times, he's used to my old standby Lexapro.

I did a Google search and found many people who divide their dose so I felt better about doing it. If in the next day or so, I don't get complete relief, I am going to have to take the 10 mg. in one dose.

I'm glad Elavil works for you. It didn't do anything for me. That just shows how everyone reacts differently to these meds.

Thanks for writing,

Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.L. Navarro
Hi Salty,

I answered your post so you would know there is someone taking the lexapro. Please tell your Dr. the way you are taking it. There may be a reason he/she wants you to take the 10mg without dividing it.

Up until the lexapro, only one AD worked on me and I'm still on it, too. I don't think the Dr. is going to take me off of it or raise my dose of lexapro. It's been over 20 years that I've been on the elavil.

I wish you luck and wellness....Connie

Old 03-07-2006, 07:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Americandancer, all I know is Cymbalta is similiar to Effexor and my dr. told me as long as I switched right away from Lexapro to Cymbalta, I'd be alright.

I have had a headache, but that's it. I actually think dividing my Lexapro dose has helped with the switching from Cymbalta to Lexapro.

I'm just going by what my dr. said. It's when you are completely going off a med. and not going on another one that you have to taper down.

Could you tell me a little about Effexor and why you want to switch? Obviously you don't like it. I'm curious because that's one I haven't tried.

Thanks,

Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandancer
Do you think it's safe to switch straight from a snri, like effexor, to a ssri, like lexapro? I have been on 150mg effexor for about 2 1/2 weeks, and would like to go back to lexapro.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Salty,
Are you taking both cymbalta and lexapro together? I can't remember. I took effexor for about 5 weeks. I took 37.5 the first, 75 the second and then 3-4 at 150mg. I felt fine for the most part. No major change in my anxiety - it wasn't better, nor was it worse. I'm not sure if I suffer from depression, but I had no major uplifing of mood. I was a little jittery, and maybe this would have gone away if I had given it longer. I am just really scared of all the withdrawal things I hear about. I know lexapro works for me at taking my anxiety away and making me feel better. The only problem is everytime I try to take it for a period of time, I start itching and getting hives. It makes me pretty tired also. ( and a little hungry) I'm determined to stay on it and see if the hives go away. If they get really bad, I'll switch back to effexor. I just wanted to be sure it was safe to just switch back and forth like that. I know what you mean about feeling lighter.....I understand. I may try splitting my dosed also and see what happens.

Old 03-08-2006, 11:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, Americandancer, I'm not on both. I'm just on the Lexapro now. That's weird that you should say that about the hives because I was looking at my legs and they have tiny red bumps on them. This is the 1st time that has ever happened. I've been on Lexapro many times. Maybe it's from the Cybalta I was on? I have no idea.

If you were going to go off a med, then you would taper down very slowly, but switching from one directly to another (according to my dr.) is okay. So far the splitting of the dose seems to be working, for some reason, I think I would feel quicker depression relief if I took the whole dose at once, but it makes me feel a little lighter doing it like this.

Only problem now is I can feel that I'm getting hungry again and want carbs. I hate that and have to fight it with all I have!!!

Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by americandancer
Salty,
Are you taking both cymbalta and lexapro together? I can't remember. I took effexor for about 5 weeks. I took 37.5 the first, 75 the second and then 3-4 at 150mg. I felt fine for the most part. No major change in my anxiety - it wasn't better, nor was it worse. I'm not sure if I suffer from depression, but I had no major uplifing of mood. I was a little jittery, and maybe this would have gone away if I had given it longer. I am just really scared of all the withdrawal things I hear about. I know lexapro works for me at taking my anxiety away and making me feel better. The only problem is everytime I try to take it for a period of time, I start itching and getting hives. It makes me pretty tired also. ( and a little hungry) I'm determined to stay on it and see if the hives go away. If they get really bad, I'll switch back to effexor. I just wanted to be sure it was safe to just switch back and forth like that. I know what you mean about feeling lighter.....I understand. I may try splitting my dosed also and see what happens.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
(female)

Clencher HB User
Question Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard Of Taking Lexapro....

I just started with a new PCP doctor. I have been taking 150 mg of Zoloft for about 6 months. My new doctor is weaning me off of Zoloft and changing me to 10 mg. of Lexapro. Please reply if any one knows what I should expect to be different between the two drugs? Thanks!

Old 03-08-2006, 04:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

americandancer HB User

Salty, I took cymbalta for a very short time and I don't remember any itching or bumps. I get full blown hives with the lex, but so far so good. Of course, I've only taken 2 doses. It could be the time of year with the pollen, dry air, etc. I wouldn't worry.
I can relate about the appetite and carb craving. I haven't eaten so well today. But I try to chalk that up to feeling better. I think if we really fight to control the urges, we will be okay regarding the increase of appetite. I will say that I never felt hungry on effexor. It was almost like a diet pill for me....no appetite and a revved up feeling. That's not good for anxiety.
Clencher, I used to take 150 mg zoloft awhile back. It helped my panic disorder, but I always had a revved up, jittery feeling. Lexapro is way more calming to me....but that's just the way it worked for me. It might be different for you.

Closed Thread