It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
sick&tired

Post Prozac quit working.

I've been on Prozac for many years. So many I can't remember when I started. It was a God send for most of those years as I was extremely suicidal. Now, for the last 3 years, I have been miserable. I can't seem to make myself do anything productive. I'm not really suicidal but I am useless. I used to be fanatical about my house but now I can't make myself clean it. I'm feeling totally overwhelmed. I start to do something and give up almost immediately and go back to my computer to smoke and drink Pepsi. There is so much I want to do but don't feel like doing anything. If someone that has been on Prozac, and it stopped working, could please tell me what else has worked or is working for them, I would be eternally greatful.

Thank you for any help.

------------------
Sick & tired of being sick & tired!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
(female)

Genevra HB User
Hi there,

I took Prozac for about four years, and then it seemed like it stopped working, so I went off. A few months later, I went on Lexapro.

Prozac worked extrememly well for me for depression and anxiety----until it seemed to not work anymore.

Lexapro has helped very much for depression, but not so well for my anxiety. But I am sticking with it for now. I really hate the trial and error of AD meds!

I considered going back to Prozac instead of trying Lexapro---but the doc thought Lexapro may work better for me.

Good luck!

Genevra. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2003, 03:44 PM   #3

Taloah HB User
Try adding fish oil and sublingual B12 to your diet, and getting out in the sunshine when you can for a ten minute walk. ******** some disco tunes and sing along. Just some thoughts....best wishes to you.

This depression thing sucks, big time.

Old 05-25-2003, 08:23 PM   #4

LoveMyWay71 HB User
Hello,

I have been on prozac for about 4.5 years... It has stopped working for me as well, then I tried Lexapro for 5 weeks, it helped at first, but I have severe pms, and it didn't help with that at all, so now I am back on the prozac and I didn't take it for 2 days (forgot) and I had a sceaming headache this morning. Still have it a bit now after 4 tylenol. I think I am going to try the fish oil thing with my prozac. I can't stand depression (not that any of us can)so I am going to give it a shot.. Best of luck to you

Old 05-26-2003, 06:44 AM   #5

fototropic HB User
Wow can I ever relate. Every AD I've been on eventually stops working for me. I got about 4 years out of Wellbutrin, then about 1 to 2 years out of Celexa and Effexor XR. I've just started on Serzone and am still taking 75mg of Effexor XR. My psychologist has suggested that maybe I should routinely switch about every year to avoid the fall. I am also trying to find a good psychiatrist that I can stick with. It is very hard here, Burlington, Vermont, to find one that you can actually get in to see. I may end up going to Dartmouth Hitchcock in New Hampshire. The goal is that I find someone that I can stay with for a number of years who has a lot of expertise in the whole psych med thing and can help me avoid the falls.
Pam

Old 05-31-2003, 06:20 PM   #6

dataprincess HB User
I can so relate. I've been on Prozac for at least 10 years and the last 3 or 4 have been problems with lack of energy and disturbed thinking. I have finally come to the place of not believing I am lazy and it is all my fault and God has abandoned me. That has helped somewhat - all that guilt and shame takes a lot of energy. So I fight hard to control the disturbed thinking so I don't go down the road of self-condemnation but I am still left with the energy thing. It is especially bad as PMS but now it isnít even following that pattern. Iíve had my thyroid and my hormones tested and the doctor says Iím fine. Lately I have been forcing to participate in life and I pay for it afterwards. I have to recoup the energy expended to do the activity. And whatever I am forcing myself to do, I peter out towards the end of it and canít wait til it is over. But at least I did it. I feel like Iím groping in the dark trying to find my way out of this. I research depression causes and ďcuresĒ and there are so many variables. Do I quit caffeine or just taper? What vitamins should I add? There is that whole exercise debate although I am so not motivated to do that. Do I need to change jobs? Iím in a somewhat toxic workplace right now. In the beginning Prozac worked right off the bat and I was so grateful because I knew others had to go through all kinds of experimentation before finding relief. I donít want to have to go through that but it may be what I will have to do.

Old 05-31-2003, 07:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User
I think all psychoactive drugs eventually do stop working due to buildup of tolerance and also recent research indicates the brain actually shuts down receptors overstimulated by meds over a period of years. Seems they really can't fix chemical imbalance but literally create it.

[This message has been edited by Jennita (edited 05-31-2003).]

Old 05-31-2003, 09:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

#1Texan HB User
Hello
A little over a month ago I started a vitamin regimine.
The book I have read/reading is called Depression Free Naturally by Joan Mathews Larson.
This is working for me. I had a really bad round these past few months and did not want to go back on prozac, so I started looking into natural things.

The fish oil that taloah mentioned previously is in this regimine.

I currently do the multi vitamin that is recommended in the book, fish oil, cq10, ester-c, morning primrose.
I modified it some for me.

I have posted abou this befor and no one seemed to interested, I'm happy to say that I do feel better!
I am enjoying things again, I don't sit and worry or get anxious like I did.

I also have to say that I asked my higher power to forgive me for being stupid, and then I let it go. I KNOW THIS IS SOMETHING THAT NOT ALL WILL AGREE WITH.
That's ok. It helps me tho.

Take care

Tex

Old 06-01-2003, 06:45 AM   #9
(female)

ldy06 HB User
Hi,

As you can see from everyone's posts, it's very common for A/Ds to stop working. It's frustrating when it takes forever to find one that does work, then after a couple of years it stops. I'm on my 7th right now. I was on one that seemed to stop working after a few months and I would have to increase the dosage until I was finally at the maximum dosage and eventually I had to change to the one I'm taking now. It also seemed to stop working after a year and I had to increase it to the maximum dosage. So eventually I imagine I'll have to change again. It's frustrating, but when they work it's worth it.

I'm glad everyone is sharing their experiences here. It makes me feel better to know that this is normal.

I'd also like to add that when I eat health and exercise it makes a world of difference. See if you can quit smoking and limit your soft drinks. I know that it's easier said than done, but it does make a difference.

[This message has been edited by Canuck_Lady (edited 06-01-2003).]

Closed Thread