It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Depression Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User
Difference between Paxil and Paxil CR

A friend suggested I try Paxil CR. I suffer with major depression and anxiety. I've taken several ssri's and after about 9 months that just poop out. My friend says that it's different with paxil cr. Anyone know about this? thx, pinkee

Old 03-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Difference between Paxil and Paxil CR

I could be wrong here but the only difference is the release of the medication where Paxil would release all at once and Paxil CR would be a controlled release in small increments through out the day

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

The big difference between Paxil and Paxil CR is that, as hard as it is to get off Paxil, it's nearly impossible to wean off CR because it's not possible to cut or shave the tablets. If you study Paxil withdrawal and find one of the rare weaning guides, you'll find that, since even a 2.5 mg drop is a big one, it's necessary to cut and even shave pills. This is not possible with Paxil CR. I wouldn't touch Paxil with a 10 foot pool. It destroyed my sister's life and nearly killed me. Glaxo just paid a huge settlement concerning Paxil withdrawal. It's their way of keeping people quiet. It's a nasty, nasty withdrawal. That should tell you something about what it must be doing to our brains. Find some safe help, something that truly works.

Old 03-10-2006, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Spin, what do you take now?

Old 03-10-2006, 07:05 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

Thanks for asking. I don't take any drugs. I still have some bad times, esp. when I wake up in the morning, but I've found that aerobic exercise (I just bought an eliptical trainer, but jog and bike ride too) every single day, really helps. I also often take a fast walk around the lake in the evening. It really helps me get to sleep at night. Also, I've tried to cut sugar out of my diet, alcohol and caffeine. I try to eat as good as I can, mostly fruits and vegetables. Those of us who are unusually sensitive and prone to having emotional problems, are often unusually sensitive to what we put in our bodies. One more thing I try hard to do, is focus more on others and try to help someone each day.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
(male)

Johndg2 HB User

ditto Paxil was a nightmare to withdrawal from.

Does anyone know the least severe SSRI or SNRI, because I'm considering taking meds again (if there are any).

I've been off paxil for over a year. St. Johns wort in a complex called Positive Thoughts , and some 5-HTP helped alot, but now doesn't seem to be working.

Any thoughts?

Old 03-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

Johndg2,

Paxil and Effexor are two of the most often difficult a/ds to taper off from. It's not that way for everyone however; like all these meds, the side effects are different for each person, as is tapering off them. A reallllllllly long taper can help some for some people, including going to the liquid form so a person can taper down by drops, not mg.s. Zoloft is supposed to be one of the easier ones, from what I've read and heard from moms.

I had no luck with St. John's Wort. I think it interferes with the SSRIs, so if you DO go the ssri/ssnri route, allow some time between stopping SJW and starting a "traditional" med.

Spin's approach with exercise, limiting certain foods while eating lots of others (complex carbs are supposed to be good too), having a good sleep schedule and so on CAN be helpful to people as well.

hth,
mNUT

Old 03-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
(male)

Johndg2 HB User

Thanks Mnut,

I think my body is just exhausted from being sick for 2 months(flu, then sinus infection). Anyways, the wort and 5-HTP just hasn't been "working" since then. I do all the things that are good for my body. I dunno, maybe just a bad spell.

Old 03-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

>>I think my body is just exhausted from being sick for 2 months<<

You know you best--you're probably right. All that physical illness does take a mental toll.

How about a stress-B complex, calcium & magnesium (1000/400), and Fish or Omega oil, vitamin C, zinc? The first two can help with mood and all of them can just plain help. It sounds like you may already be taking some of these, john.

mNUT

Old 03-10-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Spin, thank you so much for keeping up with my post. If you don't mind, may I ask what your emotional weaknesses are? I suffer with adhd (anxiety) and major depression. I've taken all of the SSRI's (at different times that is )until they timed out with my body building tolerance to them. Did you go through all of this? Thanks for letting me into your personal space and time, God bless, pinkee

Old 03-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
(female)

pinkeetoz HB User

Thanks all for the posts. Yes, I do find that excercise helps greatly. Had started a routine of supplements a few months back and backed off of sugar, helped alot also, pinkee

Old 03-10-2006, 03:05 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

oops, sorry, I think I hijacked your post a bit there. ...back to you , pinkee.

mNUT

Old 03-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

so paxil is bad to take. is paxil cr bad?? or is it better?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:23 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Spin444 HB User

STAY AWAY FROM ALL TYPES OF PAXIL! Glaxo just settled a huge lawsuit concerning the drug and they did it so the problem wouldn't be advertised, so people like you would go into it without the knowledge that you need. Now you have it! Paxil (other SSRIs too) has and is, causing a LOT of trouble for many, many users. The physical addiction/withdrawal, physical and mental side effects, just are not worth it. Truly, messing with our brains in this way is not safe or effective. When are we all going to learn and stop settling for this dangerous stuff as though it's some sort of magical miracle cure?!

Old 03-17-2006, 11:32 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

macadamiaNUT HB User

And on the other hand, these meds have saved many lives, many more lives than have been messed up. Mine being one of them. I thank the Universe for Zoloft regularly. If I end up gone from the planet a few years early because of Zoloft, if it's given me the quality of life I'm getting now, vs. the ummm crud I got not being on it, I'll take the shorter, quality version, no question about it. I don't want to think about battling my moods regularly. Without Zoloft, I do.

And on yet another hand, when I tried Prozac (the very first SSRI I took) I didn't like it at all, no way. Thankfully I was "nudged" into trying something else eventually, and everyone is still alive as a result.

passionately! and respectfully,

Closed Thread